ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I had to go back to the Blue and Yellow Shed of Doom today to eat some more meatballs return some bits that don't fit my kitchen cupboards. It's a wild and ker-azee life at DoctorTowers.
I did fit in a ride up the Grand Union to Yardley Gobion. Photos were a bit thin on the ground as it was raining. I didn't get a decent shot of Cosgrove Aqueduct (although to get a decent shot of an aqueduct you need to be, well, not on it) but I did get the sign.
Yardley Gobion is not as close to the Grand Union as I might have hoped. I did at least warm up and dry out a bit heading into the village.
yardley gobion.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm likely going to struggle with Z, unless I head over the Channel.
Zuydcoote or Zeebrugge look to be easily baggable, as does Veurne - I haven't got a V yet.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'm likely going to struggle with Z, unless I head over the Channel.
Zuydcoote or Zeebrugge look to be easily baggable, as does Veurne - I haven't got a V yet.
There are a couple of Z candidates that I can cycle through during the summer hols. My difficulty will be getting the rest of the alphabet done before then.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
That's a fancy way of saying 27 miles.:tongue:

Aaarghh what the hell is wrong with me this week!!!?
You said imperial very clearly and like a guffaw I converted it to metric instead!
Ack!

I'm off to find a big boot with which to kick my own arse.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I've been stuck at Q for ages waiting for my fitness to improve or the incessant westerly gale to abate, but neither seem to be happening fast so unlike all previous ABCs this ride did not start and end at home. Mrs C was going to see her mother so I got her to go the scenic route and cadged a lift to Carnwath to ride the 50 miles home from there. Five miles south of Carnwath is Quothquan. (bonus surely for having two qs). I'd checked it out on streetview, so imagine my horror to find the sign had gone - it was actually still there, just detached from its pole and half hidden in the undergrowth. I carried on to the other end of the village, where despite having been elevated some numpty has still managed to hit the sign. In today's brief sojourn in South Lanarkshire I'm afraid I didn't see any evidence of either thriving or safe driving.

IMG_20190602_144904[1].jpg

K
View media item 11255Village now known for the owner of The Half Moon public house, Ms J Kidd. I do not recommend the food. Setting is wonderful but then so is The Foresters Arms, who claim to welcome cyclists, among others. (Note to self: must get pic of blackboard proclaiming same).

L
Three for the price of one! These villages are all located on the same minor country road only 5 km separating all 3, and each has a pub!
View media item 11256Also has a winery, wine to be avoided, but their mead is very good.

View media item 11257Talking of (in)famous pub owners, The Lickfold Inn, seen in the background, used to be owned by C Evans Esq, who ruined it apparently.

View media item 11258Home of The Hollist Arms, shown on the village sign, would be my first choice of the 3 for refreshment. And just south of the village is another fine establishment, Langham Brewery. This is the end of the public service announcement for thirsty cyclists.

Top Bottom