ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Job done.

Got my Z today, I’m down in Devon visiting the MiL with the Fragrant MrsP, whilst she was catching up I rode the 10 miles or so to Zeal Monachorum. Cool name huh? Bloody lumpy ride though, mostly on single track roads which were in very good shape.

A lovely couple of hours out on the bike in beautiful weather.

So mission complete, all letters found, in order by bike, no ‘buys’ (or is it ‘byes’?).

I’d like to thank @User9609 ( has he left cc?)for setting this little game, it’s got me out on the bike when I’ve not been motivated, sent me places I wouldn’t usually go, and places I’ve never been to before. So thanks.

The photos.

25C903D2-F0F9-4CF3-A2F8-011E5F1E6CE2.jpeg

Thought I’d do a selfie for my last one.

FB2A68CC-F632-4F9A-BD46-26E113CC88BA.jpeg

Then I found a better sign.

B05798C0-8616-4008-B7FB-C77B3948A656.jpeg

The map.

603E912D-A051-4EC5-AB51-B5E530C845F4.jpeg

The lumps

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut

I thought the rule was that Ex at the start of a name is taken to represent X. I knew I should've questioned Euxton the other week but I didn't want to seem nasty yet again. Now all hells broken loose.

I reckon you'd be OK with Hexham though, depending on how you pronounce it.

But maybe I should go with the flow and retrospectively allow my own Zelah from back in April, which would mean I can start coming back down again. Ornamental signs, such as those on village greens are especially cool, so maybe I'll try to focus on those although they don't seem so frequent around here. I saw a couple of nice ones on Saturday's ride at Fladbury, near Pershore, and Taynton, near Newent.

Mind you, the distinction isn't always clear-cut. I passed through Fairford, Gloucestershire back in February, and found that the tasteful boundary signs I'd seen on Streetview had been replaced with these. Now that I come to look at it again, I realise the image (not used in the challenge) is quite pleasing, with one especially noteworthy feature. But it's hard to imagine a more fatuous slogan.

Fairford.JPG

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I was under the impression that there's some leeway/stretchiness to the rules. The whole point of the thread being to encourage us to get out on the bike/bikes.
I take the same view with most of these "Your bike in front of/on top of/under/next to" etc.
Just an excuse to find somewhere to ride rather than just going round familiar areas in circles. Works for me :smile:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I was under the impression that there's some leeway/stretchiness to the rules. The whole point of the thread being to encourage us to get out on the bike/bikes.
I take the same view with most of these "Your bike in front of/on top of/under/next to" etc.
Just an excuse to find somewhere to ride rather than just going round familiar areas in circles. Works for me :smile:

That’s my take on it too, just a bit of fun to get you out on the bike, I tried to adhere to the spirit of the game, but time constraints didn’t allow me to cycle all the way to some of the towns and villages but I did ride to all of them.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I just figured that I'd have a best bash at an X to avoid having to miss it out completely. And there happened to be an X (Plaxtol) conveniently between Wrotham and Yalding. It was too good an opportunity to pass up.

I did ride through Exceat on my JK mission to Jevington and Kingston. Maybe I'll try to do a different alphabet next year - I can use Exceat then, if it has a sign.

I have to confess that I did Q and R in the wrong order. I rode through Queenborough first, but couldn't find a sign. Then I rode to Rushenden, took my picture and doubled back through Queenborough and eventually got a picture. So I did R before Q!!!! :ph34r: I don't feel particularly guilty. :biggrin:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It was agreed places beginning with Ex for X, but to be honest I'm not that fussed about it. It's easy to get too het up about rules, sat in front of your tabley, keyboard, phone etc. . There's no prizes, no points.

I could have finished back in Winter if I'd twisted the rules to get my Z. I didn't and am sticking to original rules, but each to their own. Live and let live.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Seriously, I missed the discussions about X. I presume they are buried somewhere up-thread. They aren't in the OP. I wasn't being a rebel, it just seemed like a good idea. I'm still unrepentant though.

I see I've also broken the rule "must be boundary signs" more often than not.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Seriously, I missed the discussions about X. I presume they are buried somewhere up-thread. They aren't in the OP. I wasn't being a rebel, it just seemed like a good idea. I'm still unrepentant though.

You just don’t feckin care do you? I bet you’d walk into Poundland and ask the price.

Aravis

Putrid Donut

Indeed. Reading my previous message again, the tone was meant to be more humorous that it might have seemed.

In contrast to other photographic threads, this particular challenge does lend itself to being taken quite seriously, more in the style of the monthly distance challenges which have a "miss once and you're out" ethic. This has sometimes led to a little tension, no doubt usually fuelled by myself ... :blush:.

Aravis

Putrid Donut

Now you've mentioned it, this was my main reason for wanting to give the thread a gentle reminder.

Top Bottom