ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Yesterday I reprised my visit to Exhall. Confirming what I thought back in March, it's now not so easy to get close to the sign at the western end:

ExhallJuly.JPG

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Just didn't have my cycling mojo this morning.
Was really just that bit too tired (4 hrs sleep last night, no better the night before), cold (shorts were a bit chilly at 8 C), and then the rain arrived. Probably my least enjoyable ride this year, but at least I got "T".

Edited with a different version of the photo.

upload_2019-7-14_16-27-8.png

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The story so far Addington Village, Biggin Hill, Cudham, Downe, Edenbridge, Fordcombe, Groombridge, Hartfield, Ide Hill, Jevington, Kingston, Lingfield, Maresfield, Nutfield, Outwood, Paddock Wood

And now: Queenborough, Rushenden, Sheerness, Tonge, Upchurch, Vigo, Wrotham, PlaXtol, Yalding.

Rode out to the Isle of Sheppey to get Q and R. I'd found some potential signs on Streetview but they seemed to have gone. After much to-ing and fro-ing I settled on some rather uninspiring signs.
upload_2019-7-14_11-22-49.png

I got a standard boundary sign for Sheerness, but this was much better. This mural by local artist Dean Tweedy refers to the munition ship SS Richard Montgomery which lies in the Thames just off Sheerness and contains enough explosive to obliterate Sheerness and send a mini-tsunami up the river towards London.
upload_2019-7-14_11-25-37.png

Next up was T. I rode through the hamlet of Tonge, braved heavy traffic on the A2, and clambered into a thicket of thistles and got a rather rubbish picture of the Teynham sign. Returning through Tonge I found I'd ridden straight past Tonge Mill. So that's what I've chosen. Upchurch has a nice village sign. Vigo I'd previously recced and knew that the rugby club was the best option.

upload_2019-7-14_11-29-24.png

Then a trio of village signs for Wrotham (pronounced root-um), Plaxtol and Yalding.
upload_2019-7-14_11-30-49.png

9 letters in 180km. Next up Z. I have some friends who live within striking distance of Zouch, so maybe I'll visit them.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just didn't have my cycling mojo this morning.
Was really just that bit too tired (4 hrs sleep last night, no better the night before), cold (shorts were a bit chilly at 8 C), and then the rain arrived. Probably my least enjoyable ride this year, but at least I got "T"
WP_20190714_05_55_10_Pro.jpg

What happened to the image?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Oddly enough I found a few locations where there were posts but no sign. In Queenborough the ex sign was on streetview. I saw empty posts in a couple of other locations (Vigo and one other that I can't remember)

Is sign removal a thing maybe? Is it part of the current WW2 obsession? Maybe the "local people" are living in fear of parties of German tourists dressed as nuns.

Top Bottom