ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Who has completed this so far?
@Supersuperleeds
@CarlP
any others?
Well, I had A - Z about 4 months ago, but when I went to Zelah I only had a front derailleur (plus my cap which I forgot to put on). So the photo includes "part of my bike" but it's hard to argue that I was on a bike ride.

It's been a frustrating few months. Zeals (Wiltshire) is about 70 miles away, and it's not quite happened yet, though I've plotted so many routes RwGPS must be running out of space.

13 rider

Guru
Well, I had A - Z about 4 months ago, but when I went to Zelah I only had a front derailleur (plus my cap which I forgot to put on). So the photo includes "part of my bike" but it's hard to argue that I was on a bike ride.

It's been a frustrating few months. Zeals (Wiltshire) is about 70 miles away, and it's not quite happened yet, though I've plotted so many routes RwGPS must be running out of space.
I rode through Zelah last week

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Is there anyone else out there who has essentially completed the challenge apart from Z (and also X, but no-one can do that without getting "creative") but still wants to cross off that last letter? Thinking of maybe trying to arrange a ride in about a month's time to Zouch on the Notts/Leics border and wondered if maybe we could turn it into a meetup...

Anyone who lives local to that area is obviously very welcome to join (chances are though you'd already have crossed Zouch off ages ago), but for the rest of us we'd have to probably get a train to either Loughborough or East Midlands Parkway and meet up there cycle to the village - although I guess we'd probably look to do a route that was a little bit more than just that, maybe 30-40km?

I haven't got a planned date for this (couldn't do anything in the next few weeks anyway), but just thought I'd throw it out there in case there was any interest.

Yes, been in this position since March! I'm off to Paris in a month for a long ride, but would be up for a meet in September.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

I knew there was someone else.

Soo,

ATM we’ve got

@Supersuperleeds
@Aravis
@CarlP

Anyone else?

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
During today's ride I happened to collect my N - not planned, simply saw the sign and headed straight for it!

IMG_7607.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I knew there was someone else.

Soo,

ATM we’ve got

@Supersuperleeds
@Aravis
@CarlP

Anyone else?
Just got to do V and Z. It's just been pointed out to me that I'm only 14 miles away from Veefa Verulamium, but why would I go there when there's Vinolanda up near Scotland?
I did have to get a bit creative with X-ning, which is just up the road from Ennfa Newmarket.

Katherine

Guru
PSX_20190726_135415.jpg
PSX_20190726_135219.jpg
PSX_20190726_135150.jpg
PSX_20190726_135100.jpg
PSX_20190726_135019.jpg
PSX_20190726_134602.jpg
IMG_20190721_143315755.jpg
For various reasons, I've not been able to get much time on CC lately but I have been collecting more letters, knowing that I was running out of time before bringing my bike down to Cornwall where I'm hoping to cycle through Zennor.

So,
Pendlebury, The Quays, Roe Green, Salford, Tyldesley, Urmston, Worsley, Flixton.

Pictures taken in order over the last few weeks.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
A combination of lost mojo and my nearest 'J' being an 80km round trip has seen me suffer a serious stall since mid February but today I'm back in the game.

Been cycling lots just not doing any long rides, quite often I've prepped the bike Friday evening but by Saturday morning I've just not wanted to go, managed to change that this morning.

Left Exeter just after 07.00 and headed toward Okehampton on the old road passing Tedburn St Mary and Cheriton Bishop. Took a right just after Whiddon Down and headed into the lanes for 15km or so picking up Veloviewer tiles. Out of the lanes and into Okehampton then North for Jacobstowe.

IMG_20190727_100915187.jpg

From there it's straight forward eastbound for home on good roads with a nice following wind. Passing through Bow, Copplestone and Crediton. Between Copplestone and Crediton is a small hamlet called Knowle (one of at least three Knowles in Devon that I'm aware of).

IMG_20190727_105902048.jpg

Would have been rude not too.

With the lane detour for Veloviewer tiles it added up to 103km with 1460m of climbing, bit lumpy Devon...

My next tricky letter will be 'Q' which would involve a 200km round trip into Somerset, a couple of years ago I may have attempted it but realistically a train/car part way may be required.

Last edited:
E109D4B7-A7D4-48F1-B5B0-FF548BDB7650.jpeg
6504099B-6151-461E-A8A8-B59DF590A9FF.jpeg
Well done, I'm in awe.

Thanks. The trip was over a couple of days without any real itinerary. it was really just a bike packing trial trip.

The outline was just to cycle and wild camp somewhere en route, possibly taking three days but I ended up only taking two.

the 'campsite' was in reality an overgrown layby, where they shut each end off and let it back to nature. no issues at all.

Top Bottom