ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
'V' was always going to be a bit tricky, but I did manage to find the tiniest of places within striking distance - still a 70 mile round trip nonetheless.

victoria.png
Checking Streetview alas showed no village signs, but even though the imagery was from 2009, such a small place was unlikely to have a sign. What it did have though was a pub - the 'Victoria Inn'. At least it did! Whilst conducting further research on Geograph, it became clear that the pub had been converted into dwellings some while ago. Maybe the bus stops or postbox might have something identifiable?

Nothing ventured as they say. And it was a glorious day. And it did take me into new territory - good enough reason alone, particularly since I got the chance to explore the TPT arm north of Sheffield. This glorious, extended stretch of off road cycling made the trip worth while whatever the outcome.

A quick wander through Penistone took me past ...

Medium_Victoria St.JPG

... but I wouldn't have the temerity to make such a claim.

A demanding climb and a few miles later allowed me to approach Victoria from higher ground and get this shot:

Medium_Victoria.JPG

But what would the village itself offer in the way of signage? Well the pub had indeed been converted, but I tried as discreetly as possible to capture this shot in front of what was once the pub:

Medium_Former Victoria Inn.JPG

Then across the road, forlornly standing all on it's own I spotted:

Medium_Victoria Inn sign.JPG

So members of the verification committee, I throw myself on your mercy. Can I claim this as a 'V'?
I do hope so because my journey homewards generated an embarrassment of riches in the 'W' stakes! With a cunning and interesting 'W' planned for a later trip, I wasn't looking for one today. However, after declining both Wombwell and Worsborough, my past history caught up with me at Wath - the location of the rugby club where I played for some ten years:

Medium_IMG_2527.JPG

Even though that ticked off another letter, I couldn't resist also capturing the place where I got my first teaching job:

Medium_IMG_2528.JPG

All in all, quite a day.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
On the thorny question of 'X'.
Lacking a place in the UK which begins with this tricky letter, we seem to have settled on places which sound like they begin with X, e.g. Exeter. I'd like to stretch that a little as far as the initial is concerned, but not the sound. Round these parts the 'H' is often dropped, so I think it's legitimate to claim:

Medium_IMG_2530.JPG

... particularly given the special association. And also, as far as I can tell, because Hexthorpe makes its first appearance.

All uphill

Still rolling along
As I plan my "Z" ride for Tuuesday I have been thinking about what to do next.

I have enjoyed this challenge, and I enjoy "my bike in front of a church", so I am thinking of visiting churches alphabetically by saints names.

Eg

St Andrew's
St Bartholomews

And so on.

This should make J easy (st James, St John) , but will probably need more research and throw up other difficult letters.

Anyone have any comments or interested in trying this?

Willd

Veteran
As I plan my "Z" ride for Tuuesday I have been thinking about what to do next.
This should make J easy (st James, St John) , but will probably need more research and throw up other difficult letters.

Anyone have any comments or interested in trying this?

I've started doing churches in parallel to the villages A-Z, but have got a bit stuck on "I", so I think I'll finish the villages first before going back to the church quest ^_^

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Feel a bit cheated, 34 miles to bag a "D", Downham Market, but, could not find an "E" !

Once again fell foul of the Norfolk tendency to not bother with place name signs!

For some reason, my photograph will not upload, I will be back!

Edit.... DONE! I thought I was going to have to cycle back there to get another photograph! ;)

IMGP4561.JPG

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 14.22.40.png

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
The alphabet took me 600 miles and into Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Wiltshire.

I went to places and on roads I have never seen before, which was fantastic.

The challenge took me 15 days cycling and lots of hours planning. The best day was probably the 76 mile round trip to Wells - wonderful weather, no huge hills, and I was just in the mood!
The toughest days, predictably, were when I headed west to Exton and the day I went to Venn Ottery.

This was a fantastic challenge helped along by your encouragement. Thank you.

13 rider

Guru
U today in 31.5 miles and one puncture :ohmy:

View attachment 549205

And now for V :sad: the nearest one I can see is over 40 miles away in Buckinghamshire, looks like a day-trip ^_^
Yes V is a problem around here . I take it the one you have your eye on is Verney junction @Supersuperleeds did this one and got a nearby W worth planning both . I was lucky enough to do a sportive in Wales that past near to Varteg so I made a detour

Top Bottom