ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Decided to give this a go, during our short stay in North Norfolk.

Got an "A", but, feel cheated, passed through (B)radfield, (C)rossdale Street, and a few others, but, no village signs! What is with Norfolk?

View attachment 546348

I've had that happen to me. I reckon there should be a law passed requiring every city, town, village, hamlet and even smaller places with their own names to have place name signs erected.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I've had that happen to me. I reckon there should be a law passed requiring every city, town, village, hamlet and even smaller places with their own names to have place name signs erected.

Start a petition, I will sign it ;)

Yes sorry Boldon excited to think someone off here was cycling through. Walking the dog yesterday morning and saw two people clad in yellow and similar bikes. Often cycle through Aldborough on way back from Cromer, nice quiet lanes.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Yes sorry Boldon excited to think someone off here was cycling through. Walking the dog yesterday morning and saw two people clad in yellow and similar bikes. Often cycle through Aldborough on way back from Cromer, nice quiet lanes.

We started from West Beckham, and went as far as North Walsham, before heading North, back to where we started. ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Managed to find a village, Bodham, with a name sign!

Now I can move on, to "C" ;)

IMGP4543.JPG

IaninSheffield

Veteran
After Wednesday's exhausting Q, the next three fell into place within less than three miles. Having said that, I wonder how many have travelled this far for their R? Who was it hunting down villages sharing the same name with big sister locations? Here's one:

Medium_IMG_2489.JPG

Perhaps if I wait a while, my Z will become much easier to reach? ;)

Medium_IMG_2490.JPG

Medium_IMG_2499.JPG

Thorpe Salvin "Entente Florale Medal Winner 2002"

Medium_IMG_2501.JPG

Might have another 'country' coming up shortly ...

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Upthread somewhere, folks have pointed out various sources for identifying places to visit - I've certainly used the Wikipedia list of UK locations. Today I came across something which might be slightly more useful. The ONS produces an 'Index of Place Names in Great Britain', the last iteration being from September 2019. You can download the dataset in csv format, thereby having the option to filter and sort - looking for a 'V' in your local or adjacent counties? A couple of clicks and you have it ... or not! Grid references and lat/long are also included, and a User Guide is included when you download the dataset.
Hope it helps.

Willd

Veteran
Q and R today in 57 miles, over the border into Northamptonshire. I'm sure the Q has featured on here before, as there aren't many about :wacko:

DSC00507.jpg

Warwickshire does have a Lower and Upper Quinton, but no plain Quinton.

DSC00510.jpg

I thought I'd do R as well with a slight detour on the way back. Rugby would have been too obvious:rolleyes:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Seems like aaaaaages since I last had anything to post here.
Back in February, I finally got to Zouch, and made great plans for doing Z back to A.
Then Covid-19 happened, and what with one thing and another I was stuck in NZ from March till August.
I did look at doing a Kiwi A-Z, which should have been easy as Maori only has 15 letters, but they don't use them all for place names and NZ towns are a bit spread out. Anyway, back here and quarantined, so off we go!
Today I did a ride around Rutland. I've been here before and gone round the lake, but this time I was after an X.
546888 546945

And later, I stopped off at Yaxley - it's near Peterborough, just off the A1

546947 546951

Yesterday, I did a more local ride, heating out of Stevenage towards Weston and Willian.
I could have gone to Walkern and Whitwell too, but I don't want to use up all my Ws at once.
546952 546954

And a quick snap of the path from Graveley across the fields to Willian.
This used to be my regular commute when I worked in Letchworth.

I now have a problem in that I need a U and a V, and I've done the local ones already. Thankfully I have a Q in reserve...

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Upthread somewhere, folks have pointed out various sources for identifying places to visit - I've certainly used the Wikipedia list of UK locations. Today I came across something which might be slightly more useful. The ONS produces an 'Index of Place Names in Great Britain', the last iteration being from September 2019. You can download the dataset in csv format, thereby having the option to filter and sort - looking for a 'V' in your local or adjacent counties? A couple of clicks and you have it ... or not! Grid references and lat/long are also included, and a User Guide is included when you download the dataset.
Hope it helps.
I just looked up place names in the back of a road atlas...

Mike_P

Guru
Almost finished the alternative of the keyboard if anyone is wondering what to do next.
Ride 1; Queen Mary's school (bit of a fudge that), Wass, Easingwold, Raskelf, Tholthorpe
Youlton, Upper Dunsforth
Ride 2; Ilton
Ride 3; Oulston
Ride 4; Pickhill, Ainderby Quernhow, Skipton on Swale, Dishforth, Ferrensby
Ride 5; Galphay
Ride 6; Harewood
Ride 7; Jack Hill
Ride 8; Kellfield, Little Fenton (byes thrown on Z and X), Church Fenton (bye thrown on V), Bramham.
To do hopefully tomorrow N and M.
Then back to the alphabet but as the second letter. One ride (Tuesday ?) should account for *A to *E.

Top Bottom