ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Late to the party, but looking to add a little freshness to my local rides. First four done today, in order, beginning perhaps appropriately with the place of my birth. (Different from the Aston @YukonBoy opened with)
A double 'A' in fact, perhaps even deserves a pair of photos?

Medium_IMG_2427.JPG

Medium_IMG_2429.JPG
(Looks like they might have got the 'N' template flipped over when setting the seeds/seedlings?)

Last edited:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Loadsa 'B's round here.
There's also loadsa villages starting with the letter 'B' too, but I went for the ordinary sign, rather than the two decorative signs which I've posted in the village signs forum already.

Medium_IMG_2430.JPG

Couldn't find a village sign at all in the little settlement of Clifton, so pressed on to:

Medium_IMG_2438.JPG

and got the bonus of 'D' round t'other side!

Medium_IMG_2439.JPG

Or be that cheatin'?

All uphill

Still rolling along
I got to EXton today, and, more surprisingly got back again.

53 miles and 5000ft of up, the most I have ever done in a day. West Somerset is beautiful, but you pay for the views! I imagine a regular cyclist here would have the body shape of a kangaroo, all leg muscle.

Here's the evidence:

And a gratuitous photo of Wimbleball reservoir in the sun.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Yesterday was a solitary E

Medium_IMG_2442.JPG

IaninSheffield

Veteran
It's nice riding around there. Did you stop at the Tom Simpson memorial in Harworth? Outside the sports club.
I didn't on this occasion, but have done in the past. He's buried in a local graveyard in Harworth and I once went looking for his grave. Couldn't find it - the graveyard, not the grave! Checked where it was on Google Maps beforehand, but couldn't find the entrance! Now you've reminded me, perhaps I'll take another shot the next time I'm out that way.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Y is for Yarcombe.
Not a ride I would ever have thought of normally - that's what I am enjoying about this challenge. Probably half the 31 miles were on unfamiliar roads.😁
Hilly again - 2700ft of up in those miles.

And here's the church

I have two options for Z. Both beyond my comfort zone. Zeals is a 90 mile trip, fairly flat, or Zeal Monachorum which is around 60 leg-busting miles. Ah well, dont have to decide today.

Top Bottom