ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Sherburn in Elmet is annoying. No sign on the road in or out so had to resort to the Co-Op. Then went through it on a later ride, again no sign on a different road in but on a different road one out there was one.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Odd question, what's the most anyone has managed on a single ride?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Odd question, what's the most anyone has managed on a single ride?
The most I was did nine on two occasions A-I and Q-Y But as you will see below I'm a filthy cheat.

I think may have seen some people claiming that you had to do it all inside a calendar year, or else it didn't count or something. If my memory is correct then that was another rule I didn't bother with. It took me 805 days.

There was talk that for X you could have places beginning Ex. However I found that PlaXtol was conveniently placed between Wrotham and Yalding so I chose that for my X. So there's another rule you should be obeying - that I didn't.

All in all my alphabet doesn't count for many reasons. Things in the wrong order, not all boundary signs, ineligible X, took too long ...

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
I did five , KLMNO, on the same ride recently for a sixth letter version as they largely fell into place on the ride. Having gone to L via K a return via M and O was an obvious route and the N was only just off it.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I squeezed 5 places out of one of my rides. Would have been difficult to expand on that without covering long distances.

ABC streetnames should have been much easier/quicker but I still haven't finished it

Mike_P

Guru
ABC of pubs was one I was thinking of doing but then the amount of closures and renamings I would not be sure whether D ( for example) still existed or had become a G so scrapped that idea on the basis it would too frustrating.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Ok, just seen this thread, and thought I'd have a go.

On rides where you get multiple letters, do they have to be in the right sequence? I could easily do BCA in one ride. Since nobody seems to be posting the actual ride details with the pictures, I can easily post them in the right order, but I'd rather follow the rules, and I can't find any :smile:

Yes they do. When I did mine I rode through a T and S to get a R, then went back and got the S and T

Zingano

Bonnington, leaving myself ready for a longer ride to Camber and Dungeness.

IMG_2297.jpeg
o

Alex321

Veteran
And B & C done today
20210927_170434.jpg
20210927_174051.jpg

That, of course, raises a further question :smile:

With Welsh towns that have bilingual signposts, do we have to use the first name shown, or can we use the English version for one letter, and the Welsh for another (I didn't go back through Bonvilston, so couldn't have it as the D as well today).

For Cowbridge, they have some signs with the English first, and some with the Welsh first - not that it really matters for that one - there are oodles of places starting with "Y" round here :smile:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
And B & C done today
View attachment 611196 View attachment 611197

With Welsh towns that have bilingual signposts, do we have to use the first name shown, or can we use the English version for one letter, and the Welsh for another (I didn't go back through Bonvilston, so couldn't have it as the D as well today).

For Cowbridge, they have some signs with the English first, and some with the Welsh first - not that it really matters for that one - there are oodles of places starting with "Y" round here :smile:

Not my place to make the rules... but... if it were... I would say, be consistent, either use the English Names, or the Welsh Names, but, not a mixture.

But, the most important rules (IMHO) are keep cycling and have fun ;)

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
And B & C done today
View attachment 611196 View attachment 611197

Doubt you'll have problems when it comes to L as well ^_^

Top Bottom