ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Mission accomplished :notworthy: Another appearance for Zouch :rolleyes:

View attachment 594636

603.06 miles, longest ride 83.67 miles (V), 25,596 ft, 15 rides, 385 days since I started, all done from home & back, no passes ^_^

All Warwickshire, unless noted.

Ansty
Barnacle
Cathiron
Draycote
Easenhall
Frankton
Grandborough
Hill
Idlicote
Juniper Hill (Oxon)
Kites Hardwick
Long Lawford
Marton
Newbold on Avon
Offchurch
Pailton
Quinton (N'hants)
Rothersthorpe (N'hants)
Stockton
Thurlaston
Ufton
Verney Junction (Bucks)
Wormleighton
eXhall Hall Green
Yelvertoft (N'hants)
Zouch (Notts)
And Zouch makes its forth appearance ( at least ) definite shortage of Z,s

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Mission accomplished :notworthy: Another appearance for Zouch :rolleyes:

View attachment 594636

603.06 miles, longest ride 83.67 miles (V), 25,596 ft, 15 rides, 385 days since I started, all done from home & back, no passes ^_^

All Warwickshire, unless noted.

Ansty
Barnacle
Cathiron
Draycote
Easenhall
Frankton
Grandborough
Hill
Idlicote
Juniper Hill (Oxon)
Kites Hardwick
Long Lawford
Marton
Newbold on Avon
Offchurch
Pailton
Quinton (N'hants)
Rothersthorpe (N'hants)
Stockton
Thurlaston
Ufton
Verney Junction (Bucks)
Wormleighton
eXhall Hall Green
Yelvertoft (N'hants)
Zouch (Notts)

Well done!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I've enjoyed reading through the recent pages of this thread, reminding me how much I've been missing it. Back in 2019 I started a second run looking for smaller namesakes of more famous places, such as Barnsley in Gloucestershire, which was fun to start with, but I and J both need longish journeys which unexpectedly became problematic. If you can't progress a challenge it ceases to be an effective incentive, and perhaps I'm a bit bored with that one now.

I thought another nice simple idea for a variant would be to do A-Z as before, but using the second word of names with two or more components. This one looks surprisingly feasible, even X without any workaround. A short ride today puts me on the board:

Zingano

Just starting out with a barely visible Aldington.

IMG_2286.jpeg

Alex321

Veteran
Ok, just seen this thread, and thought I'd have a go.

On rides where you get multiple letters, do they have to be in the right sequence? I could easily do BCA in one ride. Since nobody seems to be posting the actual ride details with the pictures, I can easily post them in the right order, but I'd rather follow the rules, and I can't find any :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

On rides where you get multiple letters, do they have to be in the right sequence? I could easily do BCA in one ride. Since nobody seems to be posting the actual ride details with the pictures, I can easily post them in the right order, but I'd rather follow the rules, and I can't find any :smile:
I think it's up to you.

I started out religiously sticking to sequence, doubling back on myself and riding crazy routes.

Later on I think I allowed a couple the wrong way round. I think I couldn't find a sign in the place I had planned for P on my way to Q, so I did Q then found another P. Something like that.

I think other people are happy for multiple ones in a ride to be any order. Fine by me.

Edit ... It was Q and R that I did in the wrong order. I don't think anyone cared. See https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/abc-towns-and-villages.244314/page-60#post-5681207

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username

Surprised to see the first post is now blank, which presumably means the rules are also missing.

As I recall, the rules were
1) Visit 26 destinations in alphabetical order
2) Post a photo of your bike in front a sign at each destination
3) the sign should be at the destination, eg "welcome to Abingdon" was fine, but "Abingdon 16 miles >" would not qualify.
4) Three passes are permitted for tricky letters

The beauty of these rules was to encourage distances, routes & destinations that I otherwise would not. I completed it two passes (X and Y). . It was a very popular challenge.

Others are now trying variations like reverse order, etc. Really up to you to find your own rules in the spirit of the original. Good luck!

Mike_P

Guru

Alphabetical order is certainly the norm so your A would be one ride and the BC the other but then you might have different places you could then use. On a variant of it I stumbled across a C sign that I did not realise existed, it's annoying how many places have no signboard or anything else that could be used, which resulted in the planned CD ride being scrapped and C incorporated in the DE ride which consequently took a route CD(C)E.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As I recall there was some stipulation in the original rules that only boundary signs were allowed, not village halls, churches, rugby clubs etc. I kind of remember that rule because I decided to ignore it (I have examples of all of the above in my list).

I think the main rule is that you must enjoy it. Oh, hang on, one of my rides was a horrible nightmare of punctures, rain and hailstorms, so I broke that one too! :smile:

Top Bottom