ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Well @Spinney, I finally got around to it after all this time, I did I ages ago. Here’s a J, Joys Green in the forest.

I will confess to this being a drive and park then ride, with a lot more driving than riding but I did pootle about for a little bit and also did a church.

View attachment 652658

I never got around to that! Not sure I've got the mojo for it now, even with a park and ride effort!
Well done to ticking it off!
🍰:cheers:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I never got around to that! Not sure I've got the mojo for it now, even with a park and ride effort!
Well done to ticking it off!
🍰:cheers:

I don't blame you, it is quite a trek for you as I remember, and when you're there flat is a word that can't be used to describe the roads there, it's either up or down. I'm sticking to nearer to home from now on!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Some more progress to report on my "second word" variant. Firstly, this from mid June:

Ingham.jpg

I couldn't find a J around here, and I've long had a plan to do a ride in the Coventry area when I had the chance. The chance came on Sunday with a circumnavigation of the city:

Jabbett.jpg

Knob.jpg

Lower Apperley, Drakes Broughton, Earl's Croome, Leigh Delamere, Castle Eaton, Hampton Fields, Sledge Green, Down Hatherley, Aston Ingham, Marston Jabbett, Haseley Knob.

Willd

Veteran
Lower Apperley, Drakes Broughton, Earl's Croome, Leigh Delamere, Castle Eaton, Hampton Fields, Sledge Green, Down Hatherley, Aston Ingham, Marston Jabbett, Haseley Knob.
Looks like an interesting variation on the challenge :becool: I might give it a go when I've finished chasing counties :smile: I was around the Haseley area on Saturday, I hope you approached Haseley Knob by Dirty Lane :whistle:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Looks like an interesting variation on the challenge :becool: I might give it a go when I've finished chasing counties :smile: I was around the Haseley area on Saturday, I hope you approached Haseley Knob by Dirty Lane :whistle:
I had to check, and I'm pleased to say that I did! I didn't have to get the K when I was up there but it was pretty irresistible and along with Draycote Water made a nice circuit.

Yes, I think it's a good variant. There's a "proper" X available at Ruyton XI Towns, near Shrewsbury. That'll be a nice day out later this year I hope. 🚗 🚲

Mike_P

Guru
It's amazing what places have no signboard whilst you can find the smallest cluster of properties with one. I normally have a look on Google streetscene beforehand.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm a bit of a late starter. Seeking something to get my cycling mojo back, so this seemed a good idea. Out before it got too warm today.

20220812_093543.jpg

20220812_094907.jpg

20220812_102058.jpg

Surprising how difficult it can be to find a sign. The first Addlestone one was so buried in a bush you could only see 'stone', so pedalled around to the other side of town to find another. Byfleet was a chance find as I'd cycled through the village and was intrigued about the brick wall in the middle of the road (I approached from the non-sign side). Chertsey on the other hand was super easy.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Started the second word variant this morning with a 100km ride to get A to E.

Point of order for the judges. Are my D and E entries acceptable or do they have to be strictly the second word? I’m happy either way, just like to clarify so I know which letter to start on on the next ride

Broughton Astley
Dunton Bassett
Clay Coton
Clifton upon Dunsmore
Sutton in the Elms

B015F180-D2EF-4BF4-BAAA-ADDFD967C8EE.jpeg

6C437E05-A884-411E-B50E-43F8D4D27DCA.jpeg

C71059FE-3F2D-4EDB-9263-133844757705.jpeg

F7FDC154-5B2E-4E26-9262-50113C6B97D3.jpeg

0FE9AAED-12C2-4593-B6E8-D3B9D461F207.jpeg

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Started the second word variant this morning with a 100km ride to get A to E.

Point of order for the judges. Are my D and E entries acceptable or do they have to be strictly the second word? I’m happy either way, just like to clarify so I know which letter to start on on the next ride

Broughton Astley
Denton Bassett
Clay Coton
Clifton upon Dunsmore
Sutton in the Elms

View attachment 657098

View attachment 657099

View attachment 657100

View attachment 657101

View attachment 657102
You mean there are rules !!!
I think you just do what your happy with ,as long as you don't use Sutton in the Elms as your I ,I can't see any issue .
Ps where's Denton Bassett

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Verney Junction, despite only being a few houses, did have a proper village sign.
It used to be signless . I’m sure the signs only appeared within the last 5 or 6 years .
At the moment the area is busy with construction traffic for the East-West rail project and then when your clear of that , it’s HS2 traffic and closures of quiet lanes .

Top Bottom