ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Almouth, Belford, Chatton, Denwick, Eglingham, Felton,

G.jpg

H.jpg

I.jpg

There's only 1 village / hamlet in Northumberland beginning with 'J' and it's a 96 mile round trip :eek:. the next nearest would be Jedburgh which is a tad over 96. Looks like I need to be a bit creative for the next one :whistle:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've been thinking about starting my ABC rides from scratch again. But this time riding a fair distance rather than grabbing the nearest sign to me. My thinking is that would give me the nudge to go that little bit further to grab an actual road sign rather than a train station, post office or god help me, a bye!

Alex H

Legendary Member
I've been thinking about starting my ABC rides from scratch again. But this time riding a fair distance rather than grabbing the nearest sign to me. My thinking is that would give me the nudge to go that little bit further to grab an actual road sign rather than a train station, post office or god help me, a bye!

You might find this useful :smile:

https://britishplacenames.uk/

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I was never happy at having finished this challenge with what was at best a creative workaround for Z. All this year I've been looking at Zeals, about 70 miles away by the shortest route, and filling up RideWithGPS's available storage space with possible routes. Finally, yesterday, with my wife returning from Cornwall by car, and requiring no persuasion to take it slowly and to meet me by Burnham-on-Sea pier at 7 o'clock, we were on!

There was a nice Y on the way down, at Yatton Keynell - more on that later:

Yatton.JPG

And the main event. Forgive me for indulging myself with multiple images. It's been a long time waiting!

Zeals0.JPG

Zeals1.JPG

Zeals2.JPG

The message on the back I fail to comprehend. In what sense was it "donated"?

Months ago I posted a couple of other Ys, at Yardley Hastings and Yanworth, but I'd always hoped to complete the challenge in four rides, now accomplished:

February 12th: Avening, Beverston, Cherington, Daglingworth, Ewen, Filkins, Great Rissington, Hinton on the Green, Innsworth.
February 24th: Joys Green, Kilcot, Lowbands, Maisemore, Northway, Overbury, Pamington.
March 19th: Quedgeley, Rockhampton, Stone, Thornbury, Upper Morton, Viney Hill, Westbury-on-Severn, Exhall.
September 19th: Yatton Keynell, Zeals.

The March effort is my ride on the year. After collecting Q to W in South Gloucestershire and the Forest of Dean, I then had to ride up to Warwickshire and back to get Exhall. Without that, completing the challenge in four rides would not have been possible.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I was never happy at having finished this challenge with what was at best a creative workaround for Z. All this year I've been looking at Zeals, about 70 miles away by the shortest route, and filling up RideWithGPS's available storage space with possible routes. Finally, yesterday, with my wife returning from Cornwall by car, and requiring no persuasion to take it slowly and to meet me by Burnham-on-Sea pier at 7 o'clock, we were on!

There was a nice Y on the way down, at Yatton Keynell - more on that later:

View attachment 485872

And the main event. Forgive me for indulging myself with multiple images. It's been a long time waiting!

View attachment 485873

View attachment 485874

View attachment 485875

The message on the back I fail to comprehend. In what sense was it "donated"?

Months ago I posted a couple of other Ys, at Yardley Hastings and Yanworth, but I'd always hoped to complete the challenge in four rides, now accomplished:

February 12th: Avening, Beverston, Cherington, Daglingworth, Ewen, Filkins, Great Rissington, Hinton on the Green, Innsworth.
February 24th: Joys Green, Kilcot, Lowbands, Maisemore, Northway, Overbury, Pamington.
March 19th: Quedgeley, Rockhampton, Stone, Thornbury, Upper Morton, Viney Hill, Westbury-on-Severn, Exhall.
September 19th: Yatton Keynell, Zeals.

The March effort is my ride on the year. After collecting Q to W in South Gloucestershire and the Forest of Dean, I then had to ride up to Warwickshire and back to get Exhall. Without that, completing the challenge in four rides would not have been possible.

Well Done, great effort.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Similarly, I can't imagine not starting this again, the only difference being that I won't allow places I used first time round. Immediately it becomes harder because, as far as I know, J and X won't be available on a "normal" ride. As for Z, I suppose that will have to be Zouch.

I think I'll start this on my next ride rather than waiting until the new year. I have a week away planned soon when I think I can get a good J, and I'll have to be ready...

The site I used last time probably isn't as full as that one, but does list the counties in which the places fall into. It makes the job of determining whether it's doable or not a bit easier :smile:
I've tended to use the index of a road atlas. It's still led to many moments of disappointment when hunting for signs on StreetView. :sad:

Alex H

Legendary Member
I've tended to use the index of a road atlas. It's still led to many moments of disappointment when hunting for signs on StreetView. :sad:

But, note that Streetview is always out of date, in some cases by a few years. My 'Ingram' above has no sign on Streetview. I thought I would be relying on the church name until I got there.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
But, note that Streetview is always out of date, in some cases by a few years. My 'Ingram' above has no sign on Streetview. I thought I would be relying on the church name until I got there.
A little while ago I was having a look at a route through the Longleat estate for a possible ride. Edging forwards near one of the entrances, the scene changed dramatically and a brand new gate appeared out of nowhere.

The J I'm hoping to use soon looks dilapidated and unloved on Streetview, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it's been tidied away by now. If that's happened I'll present the evidence and look forward to being showered with sympathy. :headshake:

Alex H

Legendary Member
A little while ago I was having a look at a route through the Longleat estate for a possible ride. Edging forwards near one of the entrances, the scene changed dramatically and a brand new gate appeared out of nowhere.

The J I'm hoping to use soon looks dilapidated and unloved on Streetview, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it's been tidied away by now. If that's happened I'll present the evidence and look forward to being showered with sympathy. :headshake:

I have a similar example near me - the Streetview car has obviously done one road but not the other, so the "Unsuitable for motor vehicles DO NOT USE SATNAV" sign disappears

(B1340 junction at Denwick near the church, if anyone wants to see)

EDIT - I've now found the Ingram sign on Streetview (now that I know where it is) but it's brown instead of blue!

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
YES!!! Finished the challenge at the weekend (at long last).
the family will be happy, as it impacted two family holidays and a weekend away. It's taken 7 months to complete, and I've visited 6 'foreign' counties.

The full list:
Ashtead>Bramley>Coldharbour>Dorking>Effingham>Fetcham>Guildford>Holmbury St Mary>Ifield>Jacobs Well>Knaphill>Leatherhead>Mickleham>North Holmwood>Ockham>Pirbright>Queens Corner>Rake>Sheet>Tadworth>Ulverston>Valley Truckle>West Downs>OXshott>Yarlington>Zeals

Y isn't perfect - I could only find a directional sign.
upload_2019-9-26_16-27-33.png

upload_2019-9-26_16-27-41.png

Ooh, asymmetric brake lever placement. Hadn't noticed that until now.

Top Bottom