Abused by a "fellow" cyclist for stopping at a red light.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good evening all

I was abused by a fellow cyclist today. About 7 this morning there I was happily cycling down the Kings Road in Chelsea - the lights changed to red and so I stopped as I always would do at a red light. From behind I heard the following, and I quote, "What the **** are you stopping for"? My reply was that the reason I stopped because the it was a red light. His reply to that was "Get the **** out the way you ****ing self-gratification artist". I could not get out of the way as there were railing to my immediate left and a car to my right. A mexican stand off? Eventually the lights changed and off I went. He sped past me uttering the word "c*nt".

I am not into confrontations and all that nonsense - not my thing at all. Gone forever is the idea that when it comes to fellow cyclists we are brothers and all for one & one for all etc. :laugh:

Anyone else ever been abused by a brother cyclist?

No,not yet!.

Seems as though London has the majority of them, though! :tongue:

Good on ya for avoiding the confrontation! I would have been ripping his throat out! :laugh:

petec

Been there, done that... I've always stopped at red lights (unless its 2-3 in the morning and I can't trigger the lights for some reason), and it annoys the hell out of me when I see other cyclists 'dicing with death' at busy intersections...and I've always got abuse from them (and laughter) for stopping.:laugh:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
These unspeakables are not "fellow cyclists" and must never under any circumstances be regarded as such. You must understand that in any walks of life there are strange mutations who outwardly purport to be members of a particular group. They do this because of the perceived status it gives them. However, when stressed, these inadequates soon betray their much lower status by being unable to cope with the everyday problems bona fide members of the group regard as routine irritants. By and large, these mutants are not worth the light of day as their tiny substandard brain cells do not permit the power of reasoned thought, and more to the point they are not capable of recognising their own shortcomings.

Therefore they should rightly be pitied rather than scorned or abused. Ride on my friend in the safe knowledge that thou art of mightier metal.

I've been shouted at by another cyclist on a club run stopping at a red light, maybe he didn't hear the shout from me and other people, funny how everyone else managed to stop OK. I've never been shouted at by another cyclist on the commute sounds like the OP came across was a right prat.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
My response would be "If you're that keen to be a cock and jump the lights go round the other side of the car... I'll catch you up in a bit anyway"

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I haven't had it at red lights but one time when I refused to filter between a car and a bus that I could see was about to change lane.... he just over took me and then forced the bus to wait before pulling in.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
That is stupid.:laugh:
You should of asked how much he knew, he sounds like a right fool.
That would of annoyed me, you should of held him up more, asked him just how much he knew.:tongue:
Not had it though, i'm normall already at traffic lights when other people get there(if someone else does turn up) and if they are upclose behind me then i will say stopping. But if you dont know they are there, how can you do that:wacko:

summerdays said:
I haven't had it at red lights but one time when I refused to filter between a car and a bus that I could see was about to change lane.... he just over took me and then forced the bus to wait before pulling in.
I wonder what goes through peoples mind sometimes. You stop because a HGV/ Bus is about to pull out/ in and they squeeze by, quite often rlj afterwards and usually a minute later you pass them again.:laugh:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I think if I was you I would have twatted him with my frame pump as he went past or shoved it in his front wheel.

Top Bottom