Accie's fake Rolex.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With your dress sense Accy, a whacking great big modern chronograph would stick out like a sore thumb.

I suggest you go used and vintage. Something from the 1960s or early 1970s with clean, elegant lines. Do budget for a service though, and do your research. I wear vintage watches btw - from a 1930s Tissot tank to a bonkers late 1970s Citizen with a shiny brown dial and bright green lume. I buy on a budget (the most expensive of my watches is a Girard Perregaux gyromatic that stands me £50) but it means I can wear really nice pieces without the whole "look at me" thing, or worry about fakes and homages and the whole shebang.

Reckon a Tissot Stylist might be up your street, as they are essentially a dress watch, but formal without being starchy.

Me? I personally don't like that Raymond Weil at all - there's just far too much going on.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I think (almost sure) he said it's water resistant up to 30 meters. Again, not too sure but he said it's lighter than it would be if it was blah blah, so if quartz watches are lighter in weight it'll be quartz. 🤔

It depends which watch brand we're talking about but usually 30m signifies "splash proof only". For something like a JLC, 30m to means "don't let it touch water" but a 30m Seiko to me means "swim in it if you really have to and see how it goes".

The general rule is 30m equals "wash your hands, maybe rain proof if you're lucky".

In other news.... Also check how well the watch wears. Have a look at the lug to lug width as well as the diameter. Also check the thickness of the watch. Some watches could be thick but still wear very well, even with a shirt cuff. Or the watch might be small in diameter but long in lug length.

But anyway, best thing is to try the watch on. They also look so different in real life than in pictures.

Happy watch hunting!

mustang1

Legendary Member
Agree with @Kingfisher101 Tissot would be an excellent make to choose, a famous and long established Swiss brand and their Gentleman would suit Accy's style down to the ground.

View: https://youtu.be/zkHlLXKRclQ

This is a beautiful watch. I haven't seen the video but maybe they mentioned it's available in automatic and battery versions. The auto has a thicker case and the battery one is rather thin (everything is relative).

I think they look a lot nicer on bracelet than leather but anything goes. Iirc, the 80 hour power reserve has twin barrels and the odd person here and there said the Hamilton version of this movement has a couple of problems but I've not heard anything about the Tissot version.

vickster

Legendary Member
Watchfinder are usually expensive when compared to other dealers and not always will to negotiate on price. On the other hand though they usually offer good money when selling to them.

Fair enough. I bought a Tag watch from them a number of years ago, which I then sold back to them when I bought another Tag watch (new from elsewhere) last year.
I’m not a frequent buyer of watches and wouldn’t know who else sells used

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nah, you just need a smart watch and a 'smart phone'. You can do stuff like sat nav, heart rate, control your 'tunes', pay for stuff, alarm clock, weather and all such wonders, including telling the time !

Won't match your 'attire' though.

Or a cheap Casio ! They are great !

winjim

Smash the cistern
I know very little about watches but if someone's offering me a substantial discount for cash I tend to think they're on the fiddle. And while I appreciate the ethics of working class tax avoidance may be somewhat fluid, from a purely practical POV I'd be concerned. If he's prepared to help you fiddle your taxes then what what else is he fiddling and how does it affect you. It's a bit of a red flag.

Personally for any purchase of that magnitude, purely for my own peace of mind, I want to pay by card so there's a record of the transaction, I want a receipt, I want the VAT paid and I want a guarantee. YMMV but I couldn't afford to spunk the thick end of a grand on a watch for it to potentially become useless with no recourse.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
RM are indeed an aquired taste. The RM020 pocket watch is around £630,000 new. This pre owned one seems a bargain!

https://www.chrono24.com/richardmil...mille-tourbillon-pocket-watch--id23377138.htm

Mine was a bit cheaper than that one.:whistle:
2779913_R_Z001A_UC17683751?w=750&h=440&qlt=70.jpg

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2779913?clickSR=slp:term:mechanical skeleton pocket watch:2:6:1
It's a bit of costume bling which looks nice with a velvet waistcoat.

Top Bottom