adequate tyre pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Just a thought on pumping tyres to the optimum pressure - my tyres say they are OK to be pumped between 20 and 60 PSI.

I pumped mine to 30 and they are ROCK hard!!! Now worried they will explode on way home tonight!!!

Have I overdone it or am I being a girly woos??? ;)

If they're rated 20-60 psi and you've got them at 30, you're well within tolerance and are at the low end of the spectrum, so it should be fine. The worrying thing is that I don't think 30psi should feel rock hard, so maybe your pressure gauge is dodgy?

wafflycat

Slightly more serious - the tyres I use are at 85psi and even with my bulk on, they are fine. Stick with the limits for the tyre you are using and you'll be fine. Indeed having insufficient pressure in a tyre can lead to increased risk of punctures.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm with Lazy-commuter - if 30 feels rock hard, either you've come across some well cooshy rocks or your gauge is dodgy. Any chance of getting a second opinion from another gauge?

Cosmo

I have mine up to 55psi when going to and from work and 35 when cross country riding

and mine is just a simple MTB with 26" x .2.00" tires rated to 60psi

OP
OP
Pompey Princess

Pompey Princess

Veteran
They are mtb tyres with a little slick commuter bit down the middle... I might see if the pump we've got at work can give me a better reading...

Cheers guys

OP
OP
Pompey Princess

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Just checked with a pal's pressure gauge and one is 32, the other 31. The tyre says 30 - 65 psi (knew I was nearly right with the 20 - 60) so I am actually bottom end of the scale...oh well, I'll just have to see how I get on riding home tonight...:thumbsdown:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Are these with hand pumps? I find that they are good to get near the range but that I get the tyres pumped up harder when I use a larger pump.

If its at 32 and the bottom of the range is 30 its not going to be long before you have to pump them up again:sad:.

At least you know your gauge is reasonably accurate. Or that both gauges are as inaccurate as each other!! :thumbsdown:

It might be worth putting a bit more in .. you are right at the bottom edge of the range there and an underinflated tyre is more easily punctured. OK, strictly speaking yours aren't underinflated, but even so ...

Also, depending on what kind of surface you're riding on, you might prefer to have a higher pressure, anyway. For use on mostly roads, or good surfaces, high is good: the tyres roll better at higher pressure: more mph, less effort!! Downside is that the ride is a little rougher 'cos harder tyres are, er, well, harder so it's a choppier ride on rough surfaces.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Pompey Princess said:
Just checked with a pal's pressure gauge and one is 32, the other 31.
So to answer your original question, you're being a girly woos.:thumbsdown:
(Just a suggestion....if there are other bikes parked up near yours, try squeezing the tyres of any decent-looking racers. That might give you a better idea of what 'hard' feels like, and take the hex off pumping yours up a bit. Go on... take 'em up to 55! They won't explode, promise - and the ride will get a lot easier and faster.)

jasper

You need a track pump to get decent pressures with little effort. I pump mine to 160psi...don't half jar your teeth on some roads though :eek:

Cosmo

jasper said:
You need a track pump to get decent pressures with little effort. I pump mine to 160psi...don't half jar your teeth on some roads though ;)

That must be like riding on the rims or a solid peice of rubber!!

whats it like to corner thou? (only asking as I have never rode anything with tyres thinner than 1.75" as I like to get off road but ride 12 miles a day on road on my 1.75")

cosmo

OP
OP
Pompey Princess

Pompey Princess

Veteran
I think the reason they seem rock hard is the fact that in the old days I only had a crappy girly pump and I only ever pumped them up so they weren't too soft and I was kanckered out!!) and now I use this foot pumpy thing and it's made such a difference!!! Also, when my bike was serviced not long ago, I was there as my LBS bod pumped the tyres up and I was amazed at the pressure he pumped them to but I didn't quite see what the actual reading was...

I will see how brave I am feeling tonight and may go for an even harder tyre pressure OR I might just leave well alone cos they seemed OK cycling home last night...yeah I know, what a girly woos!!! :wacko:

Top Bottom