Advice - I was involved in a road traffic incident this morning.

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Maz, 19 Dec 2017.

  1. Maz

    Maz Guru

    Hi all,
    Advice needed.

    I was involved in a road traffic incident this morning. I was cycling on the main road and an oncoming car turned right, in front of my path. I ended up going over his bonnet and landed by the driver's door.

    I have the driver's name/address/insurance policy number/tel no.
    Ambulance and police were called. Driver was breathalysed and checked he was insured.
    I have names and tel numbers of 2 witnesses to the incident.
    I have an incident reference number from the attending police officer.
    My bike (Specialized Allez Elite) is in 2 pieces now (carbon forks snapped off). Possibly other damage - I've not checked yet.

    What should I do next? Any advice most welcome.

  2. glasgowcyclist

    glasgowcyclist Bang on!

    Paging @classic33
    Maz and classic33 like this.
  3. DCLane

    DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

    Write your view of the incident down. Get your LBS to look at the bike, any decent one will do a full report. Then get yourself recovered - GWS.

    Looks like everything's been done right so far. Well, apart from the car driver colliding with you.
    Milzy, NickNick, raleighnut and 4 others like this.
  4. Sharky

    Sharky Veteran

    I had a very similar incident with car. In my case knocked unconscious and air lifted to hospital. Various bones broken, but have recovered.
    I was a member of the CTC (aka Cycling UK), so used their legal team. With all the evidence you have, I doubt if there will be any quibble, but they will try and negotiate the compensation down. The CTC legal team advised me what to do and processed my claim.

    Hope you have a speedy recovery.
    NickNick, Maz and classic33 like this.
  5. There is a sticky of advice on this forum, but in the mean time ....

    Get yourself to A&E or (better) a walk in centre or your GP, get thoroughly checked out to make sure you are ok. Important both for your own health, and proof of injury, if there are any.
    Maz and classic33 like this.
  6. classic33

    classic33 Legendary Member

    Check the "Accident Advice" thread in Cycling discussions on what to do, first post of that thread is also now in Commuting.

    Get yourself checked first, then get the bike checked. Hope you don't have too much damage to yourself.
    Last edited: 19 Dec 2017
    Maz likes this.
  7. OP

    Maz Guru

    Thanks for this, but for info, I am not a member of CTC.
  8. Your case is clear cut. A lawyer will take it on a no-win no-fee basis. The big ones that the cycling organisations use are Slater Gordon and Leigh Day. You can call either to chat with no obligation.

    Others here have had experience using then, I think. @vickster and @ianrauk
    Maz likes this.
  9. ianrauk

    ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

    Barmy in Barming
    Yup Slater and Gordon took on my case, and won. On a no win no fee basis.

    However, be warned, if the other party and their solicitor decide to play not nice, your claim can take years to resolve.
    Milzy, NickNick and Maz like this.
  10. ianrauk

    ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

    Barmy in Barming
    Give Slater and Gordon a call. Link to their Cycling claims.

    ps Good to see you back Maz, bar circumstances of course.
    Milzy, NickNick, classic33 and 2 others like this.
  11. glasgowcyclist

    glasgowcyclist Bang on!

    NickNick, classic33 and Maz like this.
  12. vickster

    vickster Legendary Member

    As above, focus less on damage to the bike and more any damage to you. Did you get taken to A&E by ambulance?

    Good luck, it can be a long haul if you have any ongoing injuries. Pretty much 4 years and counting here

    @jefmcg i think Leigh day only take on BC member cases

    There other non organisation linked, cycling specialist firms

    However, if you're not injured, they may not be especially interested in pursuing 'just' a claim for property. You might have some legal cover on home insurance that can help though

    I seem to recall S&G declining to help a member in here who was not with cUK and wasn't badly hurt (if at all, I can't remember)
    Last edited: 19 Dec 2017
    NickNick and Maz like this.
  13. Lonestar

    Lonestar Rat Run Cyclist

    CS 2 and CS 3
    Sorry for your bad luck @Maz
    Maz likes this.
  14. OP

    Maz Guru

    Hi, What is the bike shop report for? Do they normally charge?
  15. vickster

    vickster Legendary Member

    They might do unless you have a good relationship with one. You can add the cost to the claim

    How are you feeling now? Were you hurt?
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice