Advice - I was involved in a road traffic incident this morning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi, What is the bike shop report for? Do they normally charge?

Any damage to the bike. What repairs need doing or components need replacing.
Any good bike shop wont charge as they would look at getting your business when it comes down to the fix. Some may do though you can claim back.

vickster

Legendary Member
Any damage to the bike. What repairs need doing or components need replacing.
Any good bike shop wont charge as they would look at getting your business when it comes down to the fix. Some may do though you can claim back.
If a new frame is needed and he wants to stick with the same, he'd be best off at a Specialized dealer who can source an Allez frame for him (if they sell separately, otherwise I'd push for a new bike)

alicat

Legendary Member
Join Cycling UK. You should be able to get free legal advice for this claim and you will have third party legal cover for any future incidents that are deemed to be your fault.

Sharky

Guru
I'm sure photos of the damaged bike and your original receipt or an example of a similar model from wiggle & co would satisfy the insurance company. Labour costs and individual components could work out more than a replacement bike.

boydj

Legendary Member
I've had two incidents in recent years where there was more damage to the bike than to the person. I both cases I claimed directly on the driver's insurance, using bike shop quotes and a modest sum to cover my own injuries and inconvenience. In the first instance I turned down the original offer and accepted the second offer and in the second case the insurers paid the requested sums with no quibble. For you, first stop is at least one bike shop quote and then some kind of assessment of your injuries and if they are more serious than bumps and bruises then get a professional involved.

Oh No @Maz ; it is good to see you back but I wish it had been better circumstances.
I felt sorry for the first driver that hit me (I know I shouldn't let it come into it but she was like my mum). Initially I just went to her with the cost of the bike which she baulked at (an expensive £175 Viking) and decided to through her insurance so I topped it up slightly for the insurance company with the items @boydj mentions. To be honest the insurance company would be rubbing their hands as it was quite a small payout which they would recoup from putting her insurance up £35
When I was hit the second time the driver was unrepentant despite it being an open and shut case with witnesses supporting me. It was a more expensive bike too. So I decided to go the Leigh Day route, it took a while but it was probably down in part to my lethargy. A year + after the event and they sent me to a physio and I told them I had bruising that made things slightly uncomfortable when pressed by the physio but stressed I had cycled 80 miles the next day on a borrowed bike. Whatever he actually put it was settled almost overnight :wacko:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
gws

vickster

Legendary Member
I went to A&E because my knee swelled up the size of a grapefruit. It is now in a splint.
I will be contacting one of the solicitors mentioned earlier in this thread. Thanks.
Keep a close eye on the knee. Did they X-ray it and find a fracture? The hospital provide the splint?

GWS

Top Bottom