Against my Mind - Learning to suffer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich87

Hi Guys,

I'm preparing for a 2 and 1/2 day JOGLE attempt at the end of May - not long to go!

I've covered a few thousand miles in practice rides now and yesterday completed a 9 day practice of the JOGLE distance, in training rides around Kent. Obviously doing routes around Kent isn't really going to be indicative of what I'll face on the JOGLE route itself, although I did mimic the amount of climbing, but I feel pretty comfortable with the 880 mile distance I'll need to cover.

However, what I'm not comfortable with is the lack of sleep problem following some practice all night rides. I've found these really tough and my pace drop considerably.

I'm not backing out now and I am going to do this, but it is worrying me. Does anyone have a tips/ mind management advice to deal with the psychological aspect of staying awake for upto 60 hours?

Thanks!
Rich

delport

No advice, but it would be a remarkable achievement.
The hilly bits are cornwall and devon and bits in Scotland.

I couldn't cope with that lack of sleep and being focussed, hope all goes well for you.

One thing i did do on a straight 80 mile cycle late at night was avoid using an mp3 player, i felt if i did become tired the music wouldn't help, and would be deterimental to me.
I also hallucinated towards the end of that cycle, but was in a familiar city, near home, by that point.

Rebel Ian

I did one of the FNRttC rides a year ago. I don't do not having sleep very well! I found the hardest part was when I stopped. All the time I was riding the lack of sleep didn't bother me. As soon as stopped to re-group I wanted to sleep.

Not an ideal tip given the insane mileages you'll be doing but maybe just try to keep going!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Hi Guys,

I'm preparing for a 2 and 1/2 day JOGLE attempt at the end of May - not long to go!

I've covered a few thousand miles in practice rides now and yesterday completed a 9 day practice of the JOGLE distance, in training rides around Kent. Obviously doing routes around Kent isn't really going to be indicative of what I'll face on the JOGLE route itself, although I did mimic the amount of climbing, but I feel pretty comfortable with the 880 mile distance I'll need to cover.

However, what I'm not comfortable with is the lack of sleep problem following some practice all night rides. I've found these really tough and my pace drop considerably.

I'm not backing out now and I am going to do this, but it is worrying me. Does anyone have a tips/ mind management advice to deal with the psychological aspect of staying awake for upto 60 hours?

Thanks!
Rich

You really need to talk to the Audax community who have members that do rides of 1000km+

I do, however, think that they incorporate sleep stops into the rides. You would be a liability to yourself and others if you are attempting to do the ride without sleep at all.

Try posting in the Audax forum on this board and visit the YACF board at http://www.yacf.co.uk

yello

Is it even doable in 2 1/2 days? That is going some - 350 miles a day, that's, what, an average of around 15mph non-stop for 60 hours? Crikey pal, hats off to you for attempting it!

I think we all respond differently to sleep deprivation. Most of us can stave it off for up to 36 hours, say, but you'll be into another league. You'll need some sleep, even if it's micro (20 to 30 minutes) just to fool the body into thinking you've slept. But it will catch up on you, you're only pushing the requirement for sleep down the line. How long you can hang on without being a danger on the road is a personal thing I suspect, different for everyone.

FWIW, and having ridden 400s, 600s (km) and LEL, I find I need 4 hours sleep every 24 for longer distances. I can ride a 400 without significant sleep (a micro) but I'm muddled at the end of it - no way would I attempt further without getting my head down.

vernon

Is it even doable in 2 1/2 days? That is going some - 350 miles a day, that's, what, an average of around 15mph non-stop for 60 hours? Crikey pal, hats off to you for attempting it!

It's doable in 44hrs. That's the record created by Gethin Butler on a conventioanl bike. Someone in a recumbent did it one hour faster.

yello

Well you live and learn! I'd guessed it was possible by some superhuman effort (though I'd not have guessed at 44 hrs! Strewth!!) but I was trying to put a 'mere mortal' perspective on it!

Good luck Rich. It'll be one helluvan achievement!

vernon

Well you live and learn! I'd guessed it was possible by some superhuman effort (though I'd not have guessed at 44 hrs! Strewth!!) but I was trying to put a 'mere mortal' perspective on it!

Gethin Butler is harder than The Stig :boxing:

I still think that it's insane to try and ride for sixty hours without sleep. Gethin Butler waited until there was a strong tailwind in the offing that was going to be sustained before he set off and that contributed significantly to the pace. I think he then went on to do extra miles and claim the 1000 mile record too.

OP
OP
R

rich87

Cheers guys, am bricking it! But then is there anything I'd really rather be doing.....?

amaferanga

Veteran
There comes a point when taking an hour or so off for a nap makes for sense than battling on and getting slower and slower and slower.

If you can ride fairly quickly (say 17mph moving average) then you've got a good 8 hours or so for sleeping and other stuff. If you can't ride that quickly and only average say 15-16mph moving average then its going to be a seriously HARD undertaking.

Good luck though! I did LEJOG in 2009 in a leisurely 5 and 1/2 days with a good 8 hours sleep each night!

lejogger

Guru
It's doable in 44hrs. That's the record created by Gethin Butler on a conventioanl bike. Someone in a recumbent did it one hour faster.

Port Sunlight Wheeler Andy Wilkinson (Wilko) - Legend!!
He held the conventional record for a while and I do believe he jointly (obviously) holds the tandem record. He'd be a great person to get advice from, regularly completing 24 hour enducance races and the like at average speeds around 30mph.

Don't think he comes on the forum though... he'll be out on the bike!

OP
OP
R

rich87

Those records have all been set going up the country haven't they? is there actually any record for going from John O'Groats to Lands End? I know I'm going against the standard approach by starting at the top.....

lejogger

Guru
I'm not sure to be honest. There doesn't seem to be anywhere that specifies doing it that way round.

The only difference I can think of is that in the summer months there is a tendency for there to be a prevailing south to north wind, but I had a headwind for the majority of my trip going LE-JOG. Obviously they both start and finish at sea level so there's no advantage for climbs etc

OP
OP
R

rich87

that's basically the reason I chose to do it this way round - the wind direction on the day is all going to be luck and the prevailing wind doesn't change to the south-north direction until somewhere around May/June time anyway. It felt a lot better aiming for Lands End with it being closer to home hence the JoG start point. Now I'm just hoping for the best!

Top Bottom