Air BnB Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Has anyone had any experience with Air BnB? I've never used them, but with a planned trip to Canada in 2021 we are considering using them for accommadation in the Canmore/Banff/Jasper area for 10 days or so. I gather it almost like renting a holiday cottage, just more 21st century!

I'd never used AirBnB until my current tour and I have to say I like it.
There are a lot of different options from entire houses/spots to a room in someone's house to hostels. There are also "commercial" operators who are renting out every room in a house but that isn't necessarily clear until you arrive.
You can sign up and just look at what is on offer.
Always check the reviews and beware that it defaults to 5 stars if no review is given - so be wary of places that only have stars and no comments.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I regularly use it for both family holidays and business trips. I have found that it takes a bit of research to get the best from it, including working your way through the feedback carefully. I am yet to have a disaster.

Has anyone had any experience with Air BnB? I've never used them, but with a planned trip to Canada in 2021 we are considering using them for accommadation in the Canmore/Banff/Jasper area for 10 days or so. I gather it almost like renting a holiday cottage, just more 21st century!

I found an emergency overnght option with them a few months ago when I had to go to an interview and camping the day before became unsuitable because of a massive storm: it worked very well and I ended up in someone's spare room for the night.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
We use it quite a lot if we're travelling for my son's races (usually safer for bike storage) and SWMBO uses it as a budget overnight work option.

Sometimes a bit odd but it's been usually cheaper than a B&B.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Have used it 3 times for our last mini breaks. From our experience you get wgat you pay for. We've paid £47/night for some places that were very small, not much heating and very limited kitchenette (just a tap and a microwave), but for us it was all we needed. We prefer them to premier inn, as a lot of those you have to pay for parking and there's no facility to prepare your own food, hence you need to eat out and spend more money.

My GF used it twice in Vancouver Canada last year, both places turned out to be in very expensive areas and the places were brilliant half the price of a hotel. She is a complete convert and we have stayed in a couple in the uk this year and we are using it for our holiday to Split Croatia this year. We always check the reviews etc.

alicat

Legendary Member
I've used Airbnb for working away and other times when I've been staying away for a few nights and wanted more than a bedroom. I've found it works for me when I do a lot of research/reading between the lines in reviews and remembering that I get what I pay for. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
If I'm not 100% sure about a place then I don't book it.

I've used it a few times - had one relatively late cancellation in Brooklyn 4 years ago, (was about to write 'a couple of years ago' but then remembered watching the Rio Olympic Hockey final in the apartment - flippin 'eck, time flies!) but AirBnB helped find a fantastic replacement apartment at short notice. Even including that non-incident, the experiences have been universally positive for both business and family holidays.

D

Deleted member 26715

I found an emergency overnght option with them a few months ago when I had to go to an interview and camping the day before became unsuitable because of a massive storm: it worked very well and I ended up in someone's spare room for the night.
That was very brave of you, I'm not sure I could use them due to my paranoid fear of it all going pear shaped & the fear unknown.

lane

Veteran
Used it only once in this country but was very good and very good value. Other family members with same experience.

That was very brave of you, I'm not sure I could use them due to my paranoid fear of it all going pear shaped & the fear unknown.

It was that or tell the Employment Agency I wasn't going to an interview because it was raining.

After the first night I could camp quite happily, but it was the first of the Autumn storms...

Top Bottom