Air BnB Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its interesting - the biggest Telco in the world has no phone exchanges (Skype), biggest hotel chain in the world owns no hotels (AirBnB) and the biggest taxi firm in the world owns no taxis (Uber). OK I know I'm taking a bit of a liberty with some of the descriptions but ever get the feeling someone making a lot of coin over someone elses efforts. AirBnB regulated in Ireland as too many people were looking for short term rents and so real problem with long term rental accommodation in eg. Dublin. AirBnB earnings must be declared and taxed. There are issues when everyone goes the AirBnB model - One can see that now there's a ready potential to price people out of the market place by holiday home rental so in tourist destinations young families and key workers can't find and can't afford to live in these areas. My wife uses airBnB quite a bit and generally its for family and extended family holidays and we've managed to find really nice places that sometimes are little cheaper than hotels but give more freedom and relaxation. I'm very conscious of the effect too many can have - and indeed the way some landlords couldn't give a shoot who hires and what state shared accesses are left. Its like everything - in moderation fine but in concentration can create issues for others.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
We love staying in Air B&Bs for a short break, it's usually cornwall so we stay somewhere with good public transport links to whatever town we want to go to. Last one was Falmouth. Very quiet, we could leave the car there for the duration and walk/train into Falmouth. Host was a lovely old lady who had just spent £20k on the place so we would rather pay her than the (not so local) Premier Inn. It was around the same price as the Premier Inn IIRC.

And the news says they are cracking down on "party rooms" which is good. We've never had any problems in this country, but that's becasue we tetnd to stay on the outskirts of places which are generally cheaper and quieter

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Used them once. No cooking facilities, one bathroom for three bedrooms so had to wait half an hour for the toilet while someone showered, and it was nearly £100. Someone was making a vast amount of money.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've used Air BnB a few times, both home and abroad. They've always been good value, clean and well specced. Best one was in Naples which, from the outside looked a little grim (like much of Naples actually) but inside was beautiful.

Its interesting - the biggest Telco in the world has no phone exchanges (Skype), biggest hotel chain in the world owns no hotels (AirBnB) and the biggest taxi firm in the world owns no taxis (Uber).

I think this is the ultimate end-point of the internet's effect on business. It happened on eBay many years ago - why would any other platform be your first port of call? It's always convenient to go for the biggest supplier; as long as their user interface keeps up, and they don't totally price themselves out of business.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Last week we used a brilliant Air B&B for our visit to Co.Cork (in Laharn Cross).

£150 for 3 nights, with a massive breakfast and the host was wonderful.

We paid £130 for a single night en route with a basic breakfast at a 'proper' B&B which was nowhere nearly as nice.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve been looking for accom for 3rd week September in N Norfolk, not much air bnb and what there is costs far more than renting for a week from Sykes or Cottages.com (esp with all the extra fees).
Prices do seem about 20% less than last year now foreign travel is (theoretically!) possible

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We have used AB&B a number of times since inception.

Originally good value but many properties are now an absolute *iss take on the pricing front.

We are planning trips to Amsterdam, Koblenz and York and the prices in all three locations are outrageous.

We will only book if we think the price is VFM and we cannot find anything that represents that to us.

We are not alone either - we are modestly well off and we were with two other couples who are a fair bit better off than us and they have come to the same conclusion and, like us, will not be using AB&B again.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve booked Norfolk now. Week in N Norfolk (16-23 Sept so post holidays) with 3 friends (all single). By the sea in Blakeney and close to all amenities.
3 bedrooms, double, 4 poster no less! twin, single), shower room and bathroom, lounge, kitchen.
Only downside is no parking, there’s a pay carpark at £6 for 24 hours so hardly a kings ransom (we’ll just have my car), or free parking, 10 mins walk away.
£580 with cancellation insurance, so not at all bad between 4!

Looked at Air BNB…about double the price and there was bugger all in the area!

simongt

Guru
By the sea in Blakeney and close to all amenities.
I use a lovely wee campsite not far from Blakeney, but the issue is that this part of the Norfolk coast from Cromer to Wells has now been 'discovered' by the dreaded tourist trade and is reflected in the prices charged at the many 'artisan emporiums' now extant. :sad:
Shame, it used to be such a lovely area. :whistle:
But having said that, there's plenty of grand walks in the area supported by the Coasthopper bus service. :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
I use a lovely wee campsite not far from Blakeney, but the issue is that this part of the Norfolk coast from Cromer to Wells has now been 'discovered' by the dreaded tourist trade and is reflected in the prices charged at the many 'artisan emporiums' now extant. :sad:
Shame, it used to be such a lovely area. :whistle:
But having said that, there's plenty of grand walks in the area supported by the Coasthopper bus service. :okay:

Huh? What’s your point? Seaside towns have long relied on tourists for their livelihoods. Be they in tents, cottages, b&bs, hotels

I don’t do camping I’m afraid!:wacko:

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
Huh? What’s your point?
Over the top prices for items that can be bought much more cheaply elsewhere, that's my point - ! :tongue:
And don't say they have to survive outside the tourist season, these places have managed for years without the more recent mass influx of said tourists; I've known and visited them for over sixty at various times of year. :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Over the top prices for items that can be bought much more cheaply elsewhere, that's my point - ! :tongue:
And don't say they have to survive outside the tourist season, these places have managed for years without the more recent mass influx of said tourists; I've known and visited them for over sixty at various times of year. :okay:

I live in London…I’m sure it’ll be cheaper than here :laugh:

I still don't get your point, should tourists not visit?

Top Bottom