Air BnB Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
I still don't get your point, should tourists not visit?
A case in point; went to a cafe type hostery on the coast last summer. Had a good coffe at a reasonable price and decided to try their 'home made flapjack' at £3 a slice. It was a goodly sized chunk and very substantial and tasty, so I didn't really begrudge the price. However, I went back a day or two later for another slice of said flapjack and it was literally half the size of the previous occasion, but still £3. When I pointed this out, the 'excuse' was that it depended on who portioned the flapjack out. :whistle:

simongt

Guru
My days of camping finished when I left the Scouts.
My days of camping returned when I got divorced in '93. One thing to be grateful for - ! I recently invested in a larger tent; a Vango Halo 300, so I can sit up in it, something I wasn't able to do in my previous ones. But at 69, I'd decided I deserve a bit of luxury - ! :laugh:
But apart from that, I still keep things pretty basic and that is the fun of it for me. :okay:

Julia9054

Guru
A case in point; went to a cafe type hostery on the coast last summer. Had a good coffe at a reasonable price and decided to try their 'home made flapjack' at £3 a slice. It was a goodly sized chunk and very substantial and tasty, so I didn't really begrudge the price. However, I went back a day or two later for another slice of said flapjack and it was literally half the size of the previous occasion, but still £3. When I pointed this out, the 'excuse' was that it depended on who portioned the flapjack out. :whistle:

Same as our local ice cream shop. I always check who's on before ordering!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I use a lovely wee campsite not far from Blakeney, but the issue is that this part of the Norfolk coast from Cromer to Wells has now been 'discovered' by the dreaded tourist trade and is reflected in the prices charged at the many 'artisan emporiums' now extant. :sad:
Shame, it used to be such a lovely area. :whistle:
But having said that, there's plenty of grand walks in the area supported by the Coasthopper bus service. :okay:

The West Coast island I live on and the whole NW Scotland suffers from the same tourist blight and springing up of twee Craft Shoppes and cafe equivalent. The Hen House is one example but there are many others.:sad:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I live in London…I’m sure it’ll be cheaper than here :laugh:

I still don't get your point, should tourists not visit?

If you lived in one of these places now “ discovered” by mass tourism you might think differently. I am now virtually house and garden imprisoned due to vast increase in numbers without the infrastructure to support them.
Do I really hate tourists?
In the past no but now definitely yes as I cannot travel or get ferry bookings for weeks in peak season to give one example.

Gunk

Guru
We are currently staying in an Airbnb in Annecy. It’s fantastic, open views over the lake and the apartment is stunning.

C037F513-B432-4A52-A6B7-1482E78D1670.jpeg

Top Bottom