Air BnB Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Don't use it as I believe it is a disease creating way more problems than solutions - thankfully the backlash against it is growing and hopefully it will be relegated to a niche in the market where it belongs
Edinburgh is getting so overrun with them that there is a backlash against them. They are often in old tenement buildings with no planning permission and taking up housing that local workers should be able to access. Currently there are doubts expressed about the safety aspects as there is no cleaning of common stairways and existing permanent residents are worried about virus infection. They are on a par with the curse of holiday homes who push house prices up so that local workers cannot get housing.

To echo Oldwheels, the air b&b’s in Edinburgh have a reputation for being unregulated, out of control ‘party flats’, operated by disreputable owners. They are seen by many in the city as a social evil.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have used Airbnb a lot, all over europe and have only had good experiences. My only advice is try to get a grid reference to locate the property as well as an address. Sometimes the addresses can be a bit hard to find.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Can’t see that happening, people will always go for comfortable budget No frills accommodation especially if It’s local to where they want to stay.
You do not have to live with the problems they can create for local residents. Recently one lot went off and left their rubbish lying in the street and the bins are still there weeks later and with 2 cars they took up 4 scarce parking spaces. Some of those who live here came home after work and had to park about half a mile away from their homes.

postman

Legendary Member
Mrs P books ours,only had one duff one Manchester. It was graduation day so we only slept there two nights but it was sheet.Edinburgh one was nearly as good as home,it was fantastic,Newbiggin was lovely and clean,just one toilet between five was a problem.My daughter went to New York with a pal and it was stunning.A family had converted a basement incredible place.

We used them for all but one of seventeen nights when cycling (tandem) down the west coast of France last year (2019) from Roscoff to Spain.

Mixed bag, nothing bad, some excellent. Bike storage needs specified with booking and never an issue.

Few minor hiccups where our French and the host's English struggled to meet up. In a number of places never met anyone connected with the place, all done by messages and email/text.

Quite a helpful website from a journey planning pespective.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Airbnb are apparently taking bookings for Hogmanay in Edinburgh when people are being advised not to travel unless in certain allowable circumstances.
Socially and morally irresponsible and I would never now use them in any instance.

postman

Legendary Member
Mrs P began using them a few years ago.When hotels got a bit expensive,and we were out all day,the renting meant we could laze about during the day.Only had one rubbish one that was Manchester when we went for Graduation day.It was over an old shop.It was totally sheet.Best was in Edinburgh,and New Biggin by the sea.Daughter has used them in New York the photos were brilliant.

Airbnb used to offer great value for money, then too many people jumped on the bandwagon including those who want money without offering much in return. Before covid restrictions curtailed overseas bicycle tours I journeyed form Canterbury to Rome and started to use Airbnb for overnight stays in France at an average cost of £50 per night. Every place was awful. For the remainder of my tour I asked local tourist offices to find my overnight stays where my bicycle would be secure for the same £50 per night budget. Everyplace they arranged had been inspected and of good quality. So these days I stay in places that have been inspected, rated and properly monitored to ensure safety and comfort.

gbs

Guru
After good family experiences in Rome, SW France we decided to trust Air Bnb with a major multi-party booking. We found a fine country house for a post-wedding holiday with 14 people, in Dorset, English owner, English renter. Inexplicably Air Bnb invoiced my Paypal account in €. It took many calls to revert to a GBP payment and recover the currency translation losses. The call centre staff, typically in The Philipinnes, were polite, sometimes had an adequte command of the English language. Then, without reference to the owner or the renter, Air BnB informed us, falsely, that the owner had cancelled the booking. That nonsense is still under correction/investigation.

Not with a barge pole.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
After good family experiences in Rome, SW France we decided to trust Air Bnb with a major multi-party booking. We found a fine country house for a post-wedding holiday with 14 people, in Dorset, English owner, English renter. Inexplicably Air Bnb invoiced Paypal in €. It took many calls to revert to a GBP payment and recover the currency translation losses. The call centre staff, typically in The Philipinnes, were polite, sometimes had an adequte command of the English language. Then, without reference to the owner or the renter, Air BnB informed us, falsely, that the owner had cancelled the booking. That nonsense is still under correction/investigation.

Not with a barge pole.
To provide some balance I've rented Airbnb around the world and had very positive experiences throughout. No issues with booking, paying, access, quality of accomodation etc. I like them for multi day stays more than hotels

We are using it for a booking in Girona in May. Fabulous apartment, great reviews, price fine between three (way cheaper than equivalent hotel). Until Airbnb came along finding and booking places like this was a nightmare. I suspect the ease of renting out has encouraged owners to offer more properties that otherwise would not have been easily available

Recently done three Airbnb in the UK. One in the Lakes, one in Devon and, currently, near Oban.
all have been satisfactory or better.

Perhaps we’ve been lucky, never had a bad experience yet

Funnily enough we were looking at doing a western Canada holiday this year and I looked at Air BnB for options, including the Banff/Canmore area. From memory there was plenty of choice but it wasn't especially cheap, especially in Banff itself.

We have used Home Away a few times - mostly for UK and Europe venues - and these have always turned out OK.

Yes but its Banff. Went to Calgary a while back and all my Toronto colleagues were complaining about the prices in Calgary compared to Toronto. We were there for work and the local Canadian guys were on per-diem. Some of them headed to Banff for the weekend while they were out there.. I had departed at this stage, but when I got back to office and was chatting them about what it was like - yes spectacular but they reckoned they'd be paying the credit card bill for the rest of the year.

Top Bottom