Air BnB Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Funnily enough we were looking at doing a western Canada holiday this year and I looked at Air BnB for options, including the Banff/Canmore area. From memory there was plenty of choice but it wasn't especially cheap, especially in Banff itself.

We have used Home Away a few times - mostly for UK and Europe venues - and these have always turned out OK.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
We bravely booked our main family holiday on Gran Canaria on Air BnB a couple of years ago and it all went very well. Secured a comfortable apartment in a nice area with a communal swimming pool. The owners were Norwegian IIRC. Since then we have used it for a short stay in Ealing to show my daughter some of London't attractions. We've booked three nights near Lake Bled in Slovenia for this summer.

Only used it once and found it to be distinctly average. All depends on one's expectations.

As far as canada goes, in the areas you are looking at, book early, the better places will sell out fast. Unless you are thinking of going at a weird time of year e.g. march or october.

rivers

How far can I go?
We use airbnb almost exclusively when we go away now (not in the van). We have stayed in everything from caravans, shepherd's huts, rooms, and full properties (studios to multi bedroom). Love it, and way more convenient than a hotel. We also host and rent our spare room using the platform.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We've used them a fair bit, in the UK, Europe and Canada. We've never had a totally awful experience. Mainly very good fun. It's best to approach AB&B with a spirit of adventure and be prepared for the unexpected.:smile:

Julia9054

Guru
Been using Airbnb as our preferred option for about 6 years. Never had a bad one. Had a couple of amazing ones. I don't like hotels - much prefer self catering. There is everything from people's spare rooms to professional holiday lets.
Generally cheaper and more flexible than the alternative. As others have said, read the reviews before booking. Although I once took a risk and rented a very cheap studio flat in Lisbon for my son and his girlfriend's first holiday together. The place had no reviews. I messaged the owner first as it wasn't me who was staying. He was really kind - collected them from the airport and showed them round the city. Turns out he was just starting out. He has obviously made a success of it - his flat is twice the price now!
This year, I am staying on a 1905 schooner (place to ourselves, breakfast included) in the Netherlands for less than the price of a Travelodge.

icowden

Veteran
As others have said, AirBnB is generally very nice. Most people offering accommodation live in as much fear that you will be awful guests, as you do that they will be awful hosts. Because it's personal property the hosts generally tend to be very nice and very helpful. You do get what you book for. If you are feeling uncertain, look for superhosts. They generally go above and beyond to make sure your stay is great.

Jody

Stubborn git
I have used Air BnB a few times now with good results. Sometimes the property is a little quirky but that is part of their charm. @slowmotion has it right going into with an open mind as it is part of the adventure.

I've never felt let down by a place we booked.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't use it as I believe it is a disease creating way more problems than solutions - thankfully the backlash against it is growing and hopefully it will be relegated to a niche in the market where it belongs
Can’t see that happening, people will always go for comfortable budget No frills accommodation especially if It’s local to where they want to stay.

icowden

Veteran
And it isn't always budget and no frills. If you look you can get a stay in some very lovely properties with the property to yourself. Yes you have to eat out or cook for yourself and there is no-one to make the beds, but on the flip side you don't have to worry about people traipsing past in the corridor or annoying / being annoyed by the people in the next room etc.

The superhosts often also provide some "frills" - I've stayed in places that have set out a tray of breakfast goods and sundries for example and toiletries in the shower. It isn't competing with the hotels per se - more with the apartment rental sector

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Competition and choice are great. What is not so great is greed. In many places airbnb has evolved from renting out spare room/flat to an industry with investment funds buying whole blocks of flats, pricing out local communities, and creating housing shortage - look Barcelona, Venice or Palma

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Is it greed or a company exploiting new opportunities? Corporations are always seeking new lines of investment and if they see a hole in the market will fill it. No different to any other kind of business.
I suspect it's a bit of a bubble at the moment so these Investors might be left with egg on their faces but time will tell.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Never found it cheaper than alternatives when looking on line. The cleaning charges and booking fees have always made AirB+B more expensive.

Top Bottom