All things (face) shaving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Best of the lot though is hot towels and cutthroat at the Turkish barbers.
I had a voucher for a hot towel shave once. It took about half an hour and to be honest I noticed no difference between that and a safety razor shave at home. They weren't Turkish though (it was a hair salon), I'd imagine a skilled shave would have been better.

I used to use safety razors because blades are cheap, but they are very good at slicing the tops off moles .

It took me a moment there to realise you were not decapitating subterranean mammals. I've been out of the UK too long...

Last edited:
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
My 'shavette' arrived today. Apparently that's what a straight blade razor that takes replaceable blades is called. It says it is "The Ultimate Shavette for Real Men" on the box, but I'm sure it will be fine for me too.

I expect that I will look like I've been fighting a cat tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I’ve just had a go with the shavette. It seems to pull off a lot of dead skin but maybe that’s me. There were many moments of thinking “oh yeah this is great” and a few moments looking in the sink at pieces of my face in some rapidly reddening water. 6/10. Will try again. Issues almost certainly down to user error.

Serge

Über Member
I’ve just had a go with the shavette. It seems to pull off a lot of dead skin but maybe that’s me. There were many moments of thinking “oh yeah this is great” and a few moments looking in the sink at pieces of my face in some rapidly reddening water. 6/10. Will try again. Issues almost certainly down to user error.
We need photos. I'm imagining something along the lines of the Walking Dead.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Come on, show us.

Ridicule is nothing to be scared of.

But on the other hand, It's kind of tough to tell a scruff the big mistake he's making.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I asked my wife today if she thought I should buy a safety razor as I'm off down the hippy shop. Her answer was a sudden and emphatic No! When I asked her why she said it was dangerous and I would cut myself and she was worried about me cutting my throat and I really really really shouldn't get one.

This means she has definitely bought me one as a present.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
O
I asked my wife today if she thought I should buy a safety razor as I'm off down the hippy shop. Her answer was a sudden and emphatic No! When I asked her why she said it was dangerous and I would cut myself and she was worried about me cutting my throat and I really really really shouldn't get one.

This means she has definitely bought me one as a present.
Or maybe she uses your razor on the sly to do her legs and lady bush, and doesnt fancy using a DE safety razor incase she cuts herself?

winjim

Smash the cistern
O

Or maybe she uses your razor on the sly to do her legs and lady bush, and doesnt fancy using a DE safety razor incase she cuts herself?
She's previously given me a Global kitchen knife and a sharpener. She has form in providing me with sharp bladed objects.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Wouldn’t know what to do with anything containg blade as I’ve only ever used electric.

Since I now work from home then I no-longer bother with a daily shave and only shave if I commute into the office, visit a client or feel like it.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
UPDATE for the interested. I am now reasonably competent with the 'shavette' - in fact I was camping this weekend and felt very pleased that I was able to shave using the shavette, a bottle of glasses cleaner, which I'd filled instead with olive oil and water, and the wing mirror of my friends van. Because the blades are so sharp, you can shave without softening the bristles with hot water if you're just neatening up - the olive oil & water mix provides enough slip.

I am now at the point where I sometimes open up old wounds from when I was learning, rather than creating new ones. That's progress. I might lay off it for a few days to let everything heal. However, having started the post suggesting I only needed to shave weekly, the new closeness of the shavette tells me otherwise. Turns out I was just a scruffy sod. I should also add that I've bought an alum styptic pencil, which is very good.

Top Bottom