All things (face) shaving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My 'shavette' arrived today. Apparently that's what a straight blade razor that takes replaceable blades is called. It says it is "The Ultimate Shavette for Real Men" on the box, but I'm sure it will be fine for me too.

I expect that I will look like I've been fighting a cat tomorrow morning.

UPDATE for the interested. I am now reasonably competent with the 'shavette' - in fact I was camping this weekend and felt very pleased that I was able to shave using the shavette, a bottle of glasses cleaner, which I'd filled instead with olive oil and water, and the wing mirror of my friends van. Because the blades are so sharp, you can shave without softening the bristles with hot water if you're just neatening up - the olive oil & water mix provides enough slip.

I am now at the point where I sometimes open up old wounds from when I was learning, rather than creating new ones. That's progress. I might lay off it for a few days to let everything heal. However, having started the post suggesting I only needed to shave weekly, the new closeness of the shavette tells me otherwise. Turns out I was just a scruffy sod. I should also add that I've bought an alum styptic pencil, which is very good.

So, on your way to becoming a real man? ;)^_^

Edit, I'll stick with my once a week Mach 3 to save the bloodbath.

Darren Jeffrey

Über Member
Haven't bought a razor in months. Personally prefer the beard look

simonali

Guru
I'm in a Catch 44 situation. It's double Catch 22 because:

1. I'd prefer not to have to shave

2. but I can't grow a decent enough thatch on me face

3. and even if I could the missus would hate it

4. plus I work in the food industry and would have to wear a beard snood, the most annoying accessory ever!

Serge

Über Member
I'm in a Catch 44 situation. It's double Catch 22 because:

1. I'd prefer not to have to shave

2. but I can't grow a decent enough thatch on me face

3. and even if I could the missus would hate it

4. plus I work in the food industry and would have to wear a beard snood, the most annoying accessory ever!
Number 4 is a complete deal breaker isn't it? I tested the water in my kitchen recently by growing a Van Dyke and seeing how long it would take before I was asked to wear a chin net (I took my clippers with me). I got peed off with it long before I was challenged.

simonali

Guru
The general rule wherever I've worked has been if you can pull it, it's too long. That's roughly 2mm or so, maybe 3-4 days growth. I start to look like a down and out after about a week anyway!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I got sick to death of paying a fortune for Mach 3 or similar blades. I also retired and was, seriously, looking at all available economies.

In January I bought a DE Safety Razor, brush, soap and blades. I've spent £5 on soap, £3.50 on ten Featherlite blades and a sample pack of 5 packs of five different blade brands for £5.95 from the Shave Lounge. They also have a sample pack of 40 blades for £8.95

So aside from the initial purchase of razor and brush eight months daily shaving has cost £14.45. The end result is far better.

@KneesUp the secret to avoiding cuts is to hold the razor at an angle of 30-40 degrees to your skin. The blade is held between two clamps - the edge of the upper clamp should touch your skin.

pclay

Veteran
Like the OP, I too cannot grow a beard, and I am 40. I shave once a week, and I use a Gillette Mach 3 razor. Now, this might sound disgusting, but each blade lasts about 6 years. I only replaced it last time because my missus suggested I should. The new blade was just as good as my 6 year old one.

Darren Jeffrey

Über Member
I use a double edged safety razor to trim the cheeks and the little stubble that gathers underneath my beard. Razor was £8 from boots and a pack of 10 blades about £3/£4. Been growing the beard since February and still on the first blade. Doubt I will ever need to buy another pack of blades if I keep the beard going

winjim

Smash the cistern
Christmas present from my wife:

20181225_183401.jpg

Now, bearing in mind it's half past six in Christmas day and I'm a bit pissed, should I wait a bit before giving it a try?

@T4tomo in case you're wondering, she's asked me for feedback as she's thinking about getting one herself. Because my wife is farking nails.

Top Bottom