Alternative to a Bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Ermm...hate to be the voice of "sensibility", but you do realise that pedestrians have priority on shared paths, so you have to slow down and navigate around them in a safe manner, without demanding that they move aside. The "ping" is just there to let them know you are approaching. Hope this helps.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Try a Hope rear hub. A quick back-pedal has them diving for the bushes - or alerts them to your presence if you do it a bit further back.
Ditto the hubs on my Hunt wheels. Perfectly serviceable wheels but by Dawkins do they are a racket when freewheeling!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you often have to shout at people or sound bells and horns, then you're going too fast on a shared path.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ had a squeeky toy on his bike as I remember. Seemed to work ok for him I think.:smile:
I did! I'm trying to remember what happened to it - I think it eventually fell off. [Joke]Probably a good thing - people weren't taking me seriously as an athlete with it on the bike! :whistle:[/Joke]

twins-jpg-4100-jpg-jpg.jpg

the stupid one

Über Member
I love Jenkins' idea of the Nerf gun! ^_^

I use a bell, sounded a good distance back and repeated as necessary - usually this avoids the shock reaction. And I've had lots of good reactions to it. Older people in particular seem to appreciate it, and many have complimented me on my tone.

That said, there have also been times when I'm still ringing the bloody bell a few yards away, and other times when the bell doesn't want to ring properly and I end up really close before they're aware of me. In the latter case I apologise and explain that my fat fingers have let me down.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I did! I'm trying to remember what happened to it - I think it eventually fell off. [Joke]Probably a good thing - people weren't taking me seriously as an athlete with it on the bike! :whistle:[/Joke]

View attachment 419264

I am not surprised you were not being taken seriously with that saddle and bar tape colour combination. :ohmy:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
If you often have to shout at people or sound bells and horns, then you're going too fast on a shared path.

Nonsense.

As pointed out by a previous poster, sounding your bell for its intended purpose (to advise someone of your presence, particularly when approaching from behind) is simply common sense.

No matter how slowly you are cycling, it's always possible that a pedestrian who hasn't seen or heard you will swerve into your path with insufficient time for you to react.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Nonsense.

As pointed out by a previous poster, sounding your bell for its intended purpose (to advise someone of your presence, particularly when approaching from behind) is simply common sense.

No matter how slowly you are cycling, it's always possible that a pedestrian who hasn't seen or heard you will swerve into your path with insufficient time for you to react.

Oh dear. Perhaps it's those on internet forums, but some folk do seem to be allergic to social contact. I have never had a problem with a cheery 'hello' or 'good morning' or even 'excuse me'.

Top Bottom