Am I alone in hating hot weather?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I was cycling all day Sunday and to be honest, cycling in the heat isn't so bad as long as I kept glugging down water and kept applying layers of white emulsion paint (aka factor 50). Riding generates its own cooling breeze, and there is often shade.

It's doing absolutely anything else apart from cycling that I find utterly miserable in this heat.

I have blown glass in 30 degrees. (Not this year) That is hot!
I came here to make exactly this point!

Apart from the heat, I also find that humidity is less uncomfortable when cycling. It's always seemed logical to me that moist air should be more slippery, but that could well be sloblock.

But for most purposes, including cycling, I'm happiest with the temperature in the high teens or low twenties.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Typical English mentality, if it is hot:sun:, they moan, if it is cold,:cold: they moan, if it is raining,:rain: they moan.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:. :okay::okay:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Bimbling is cooler, freewheeling as much as possible and keeping your power output low to try to keep heat output low...

I put that theory to the test on Monday, with impressive results. The 4 mile ride to my class usually takes about 25 minutes, so I allowed an extra 20 minutes and aimed to get there with the minimum effort and maximum amount of freeweeling.

To my surprise, the journey only took about 10 minutes longer than normal and I was as dry as bone when I arrived (to be fair, it's mostly downhill). The ride home was a different story ...

hoopdriver

Guru
I would describe today - 31C where I am, in the south coast - as warm, not hot. 'Hot' for me starts several degrees further up the scale. I didn't mind this at all. I have ridden in much, much warmer temperatures

Tin Pot

Guru
I have to travel to hot sweaty countries for my job so why on earth would I want to be hot and sweaty at home as well? I can't sleep at night, work is a pain (more than usual anyway) with no AC and free time at home is not enjoyable. Cycling just makes me sweat. Mrs Gti craves a hot holiday so now she's booked a week in Mallorca in July, with cycling thrown in as a bribe for me to tolerate the heat but I fear it's going to be too hot even for cycling unless we go out very early or very late.

Bring on the cooler weather that's forecast for later this week, I can't wait.

Embrace sweating, it's good for you.

Top Bottom