am i too old to start racing/ trying to be a pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Every chance you get, but what stops you the rest of the time?
Work but there getting used to me request time off for training

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
As the title of this thread says am i too old to start racing/ becoming semi pro?

I am 22 years old but always wondered that i have left it too late to start to race or attempt it.

Even if i am i do have other adventures waiting like opening up my own bike servicing shop.

Well good for you; yet, you will need many mini goals along the way. Here are some examples.

Don't get dropped on group rides. Be at the front working more than your share. Learn to hold the wheels of even the strongest riders. Learn to corner, handle a bike, etc under the worst conditions. Get good going up hills.

Better be able to go at least 20mph for an hour in a time trial.

If racing Cat 4 can you avoid the crashes and other beginners? In the US, we have a Cat 5 which you quickly want to get out of due the wide range of bike handling ability.

Can you stand getting dropped in a race? Again how is your bike handling, nerve and ability to hold a wheel in tight spots. Do you like sudden accelerations out of a corner?

Racing may never get easy for you. There might be times when your level of fitness is above the rest; yet, that means one still has to put out hard work to win or place.

A pro in my town said that even coming back from an injury as a pro and rejoining the peloton was like suddenly going from side streets to the interstate or motorways.

Racing is a romantic fancy. Rather than spending time falling in love with something or someone else, give it a try. I did.

PS the competition for a money making bicycle shop maybe as fierce as racing with even more risk and financial investment. There are three shops in my little town. Do you have experience working in a shop?

LewisLondon

Cat 4 encompasses everyone from occasional racers to beginners who get shot out of the back of the peloton as soon as the pace goes up. The latter either persevere and improve, or give up.

Ha! I am probably the latter of that, just don't fancy getting spat out the back within 30 seconds by turning up well below the level needed!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ha! I am probably the latter of that, just don't fancy getting spat out the back within 30 seconds by turning up well below the level needed!

It's going to depend on the route and the type of rider you are. Haven't done much in the past 2 years but I was shocked at the first 4th Cat race I tried. You will likely need to be able to avg 21-25 mph for the entire duration. If you only ride solo at the moment go and do laps of Richmond Park and time it. If you can do sub 20 mins laps then you'll be fine. If you're doing 25 mins laps then you may struggle a bit. If you're a club member you would want to be able to at least go out with the training group and hold on, for a while at least! Edit to include that I would strongly suggest being a competent rider in a group before bunch racing... ideally join a club and get confident and able to ride safely before racing, just my opinion though.

LewisLondon

It's going to depend on the route and the type of rider you are. Haven't done much in the past 2 years but I was shocked at the first 4th Cat race I tried. You will likely need to be able to avg 21-25 mph for the entire duration. If you only ride solo at the moment go and do laps of Richmond Park and time it. If you can do sub 20 mins laps then you'll be fine. If you're doing 25 mins laps then you may struggle a bit. If you're a club member you would want to be able to at least go out with the training group and hold on, for a while at least! Edit to include that I would strongly suggest being a competent rider in a group before bunch racing... ideally join a club and get confident and able to ride safely before racing, just my opinion though.

Thanks mucho for that SD! 25 min laps at the moment sounds about right, lovely to have a comparison for RP that I can use to monitor myself! Long way off 20 min laps, but can only get better. Went out with Dynamos this weekend just gone, and realised how far off I am, but still had no idea of Cat4 times! Was fun to ride in a group for once though (even if the times of the laps is a bit misleading afterwards!)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
No probs, the weather plays a diff and you will be automatically faster in warmer months. Seeing times at the mo about 1 -2 min slower than summer for a similar level of effort, so low 20's probably good enough! Seeing if you can stay with the Dynamo faster groups should be a good indicator.

LewisLondon

No probs, the weather plays a diff and you will be automatically faster in warmer months. Seeing times at the mo about 1 -2 min slower than summer for a similar level of effort, so low 20's probably good enough! Seeing if you can stay with the Dynamo faster groups should be a good indicator.

First step = seeing if I can stay with the slower groups. First things first!

1st start here: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/race

2nd have a look here and pick one: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events?keywords=&view=off&distance=&postcode=&fromdate=04/04/2016&todate=04/04/2017&race_duration_min=&race_duration_max=&resultsperpage=30&series_only=0&online_entry_only=0&zuv_bc_event_filter_id[]=21&zuv_bc_event_filter_item_id[]=25&zuv_bc_licence_discipline_id[]=50

You'll soon have your question answered. Good luck

EDIT: I see you are a member of a club your first step would be speak to them and find out what they do, do they run or promote any events, do they time trial, have a chain gang etc etc

I would imagine most would not have a problem averaging 25mph for whatever distance the race is, Cat4 is often very jumpy so expect speeds of 30 to 35 plus at times.

Second that the jump from hanging on in Club Runs into racing even Cat 4 is massive. I TT and do not race except I did my clubs novice road race one year. I had a speedo but didn't log anything and every time I looked down it was showing 27-28 mph. I think I came 4th or 5th

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Look, if you really have the Cycling bug,you might explore your options. But getting to 25 to 30 miles per hour is going to be a long and difficult road. For anyone. Get a good evaluation of your chances, from someone you respect.

Top Bottom