am i too old to start racing/ trying to be a pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
I don't know what kind of racing you have in mind but a pro stage race can have riders in the saddle for 6 hours and more and they come in with an AVERAGE of 30 plus. I suggest you train to be on the bike for a few hours as a first step.

vickster

Legendary Member
What age did @blazed start racing... he's over 22 and there's no stopping him. :whistle:
Is he...really...I thought he was about 13?!
Or did you mean 22 stone? :whistle:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Nah i wouldn't start a sport i now enjoy if i had family commitments as there would be no time to train or race
Will you be able to replace your expensive new carbon frame if it gets trashed in a crash in a race? I would think it should be a serious consideration. What is your current bike?

Which club group do you ride with? I would think you need to be in the quick group already with your ambitions

huwsparky

Über Member
[QUOTE 4223482, member: 76"]jamma said:
I have just done my first 11 mile time trail today average speed was 13.5mph time was 50 mins 30 secs.
hopefully when i keep doing these i will get a faster average speed and time

I have just seen this. To be brutally honest, at 21/22 if this is your best then I would spend some time writing a business plan for your upcoming bike shop venture. You are simply not going to be good enough to be a pro.

It's just how it is.[/QUOTE]
+1

Enjoy your cycling and forget about pro aspirations. Just not going to happen. At that avarage there's no point even trying as a 4th cat either.

I think you need to be able to ride at 20mph at least solo to start racing, 23+mph in a bunch.

Do you know Paul Curran of Paul Curran Cycle Sport (used to be Blackhawk cycles) in Stockton. He is an ex Pro and now bike shop owner.

If I remember rightly he lives local and sometimes runs chain gangs with his mates, maybe ask if you can join him on a ride?

huwsparky

Über Member
Do you know Paul Curran of Paul Curran Cycle Sport (used to be Blackhawk cycles) in Stockton. He is an ex Pro and now bike shop owner.

If I remember rightly he lives local and sometimes runs chain gangs with his mates, maybe ask if you can join him on a ride?
But 13.5mph in a 11mile TT??? Just find a club that can cater for his ability and enjoy cycling for what it is. No point the OP joining a chain gang with an ex pro...

vickster

Legendary Member
What speeds is the OP managing routinely on club runs? Might be a better indicator than his first TT

speccy1

As the title of this thread says am i too old to start racing/ becoming semi pro?

I am 22 years old but always wondered that i have left it too late to start to race or attempt it.

Even if i am i do have other adventures waiting like opening up my own bike servicing shop.
Are you for real?? Go for it:okay:

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member

Yes know the shop and easy to get to due to being local

He could join Cleveland Wheelers which is a bit more relaxed or stick with Stockton Wheelers which is a bit more race orientated.

I would like to join Cleveland Wheelers but family commitments limit my free time.

screenman

Legendary Member
He could join Cleveland Wheelers which is a bit more relaxed or stick with Stockton Wheelers which is a bit more race orientated.

I would like to join Cleveland Wheelers but family commitments limit my free time.

I belong to a club and have done so for the last 46 years, sometimes I only meet up once a year so lack of time is no excuse, go for it, that way by the time you have time on your hands you will be a long term member.

Top Bottom