am i too old to start racing/ trying to be a pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Well good for you; yet, you will need many mini goals along the way. Here are some examples.

Don't get dropped on group rides. Be at the front working more than your share. Learn to hold the wheels of even the strongest riders. Learn to corner, handle a bike, etc under the worst conditions. Get good going up hills.

Better be able to go at least 20mph for an hour in a time trial.

If racing Cat 4 can you avoid the crashes and other beginners? In the US, we have a Cat 5 which you quickly want to get out of due the wide range of bike handling ability.

Can you stand getting dropped in a race? Again how is your bike handling, nerve and ability to hold a wheel in tight spots. Do you like sudden accelerations out of a corner?

Racing may never get easy for you. There might be times when your level of fitness is above the rest; yet, that means one still has to put out hard work to win or place.

A pro in my town said that even coming back from an injury as a pro and rejoining the peloton was like suddenly going from side streets to the interstate or motorways.

Racing is a romantic fancy. Rather than spending time falling in love with something or someone else, give it a try. I did.

PS the competition for a money making bicycle shop maybe as fierce as racing with even more risk and financial investment. There are three shops in my little town. Do you have experience working in a shop?

I work in a supermarket but really would like to get out of it but it pays for everything so can't really complain.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
What kind of supermarket work do you do? Retail can be mighty hard on the feet and legs. I ran photographic labs and stores for a long time, so I can see your wish to exit retail. But I also think pro cycling may be hard to attain as a career, even harder to maintain as a career.

CaadX

Perhaps sitting Duck would like to tell you what he lapped Richmond park at when he first started (it was not that long ago ) and what he laps it at when he's fully fit.. If you put in the work and have the application and talent anything is possible.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
I work in a supermarket but really would like to get out of it but it pays for everything so can't really complain.

Keep working in the supermarket. You probably get good deals on the food - an important step. Had a cousin who went from produce to top management to playing golf with Bob Hope in retirement. Follow your cycling interest and it could turn into career advancement outside of cycling freeing you up to ride more.

I got the cycling bug in my early teens and dreamed of bike racing. Worked in the LBS, grandparents' restaurant, father's farm. In college, raced and became a teacher so I could teach and ride more than most.

Keep working and work cycling into your life. It's not like anyone has the ability to suddenly train four to six hours a day so build over time. Enjoy the people you meet while cycling and working because that will magnify the talent you have.

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
What kind of supermarket work do you do? Retail can be mighty hard on the feet and legs. I ran photographic labs and stores for a long time, so I can see your wish to exit retail. But I also think pro cycling may be hard to attain as a career, even harder to maintain as a career.

Its counter work so in my feet/legs for a couple of hours at a time

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Keep working in the supermarket. You probably get good deals on the food - an important step. Had a cousin who went from produce to top management to playing golf with Bob Hope in retirement. Follow your cycling interest and it could turn into career advancement outside of cycling freeing you up to ride more.

I got the cycling bug in my early teens and dreamed of bike racing. Worked in the LBS, grandparents' restaurant, father's farm. In college, raced and became a teacher so I could teach and ride more than most.

Keep working and work cycling into your life. It's not like anyone has the ability to suddenly train four to six hours a day so build over time. Enjoy the people you meet while cycling and working because that will magnify the talent you have.

Will do and your having a laugh about good deals on food only get staff discount but still better than anything

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Perhaps sitting Duck would like to tell you what he lapped Richmond park at when he first started (it was not that long ago ) and what he laps it at when he's fully fit.. If you put in the work and have the application and talent anything is possible.

I don't know what time for a lap when I first started but guessing something like 30 mins, quite possibly more. Fastest Anti-CW lap is 18:25 but that's a year ago. Currently clocking about 20-21 mins, depending on wind. Takes a lot of time to get fit, fast and stay that way imho. Weight plays a big part too...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Its counter work so in my feet/legs for a couple of hours at a time
Cycling will help with this sort of standing at work situation, I found. My legs felt a lot better after starting cycling again. When I first resumed cycling, I was standing for eight hours a day, and already had varicose veins from working in retail for about 20 years. So you probably need the health benefits of cycling over and above any aspirations you may have, but it's great to have aspirations. What do you know about business and accounting and transport and marketing? Keep your eyes open for examples in the market. You have to sell yourself, over and above your merchandise. You have to convince suppliers, the bank, and potential customers that you have what it takes to make good on their investment. I had a friend from high school buy an existing small bike shop, and turn it into a large bike shop. He stocked brands others did not have, and also picked up Raleigh when their dealer in this town went away. Where I grew up is 40 miles from here, yet people from here go from this town, with its three bike shops, over to him, if they want a Raleigh. So think about a marketing niche you can fill. Money will always be a worry, but if you do what you love to do, you'll never work a day in your life.

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Cycling will help with this sort of standing at work situation, I found. My legs felt a lot better after starting cycling again. When I first resumed cycling, I was standing for eight hours a day, and already had varicose veins from working in retail for about 20 years. So you probably need the health benefits of cycling over and above any aspirations you may have, but it's great to have aspirations. What do you know about business and accounting and transport and marketing? Keep your eyes open for examples in the market. You have to sell yourself, over and above your merchandise. You have to convince suppliers, the bank, and potential customers that you have what it takes to make good on their investment. I had a friend from high school buy an existing small bike shop, and turn it into a large bike shop. He stocked brands others did not have, and also picked up Raleigh when their dealer in this town went away. Where I grew up is 40 miles from here, yet people from here go from this town, with its three bike shops, over to him, if they want a Raleigh. So think about a marketing niche you can fill. Money will always be a worry, but if you do what you love to do, you'll never work a day in your life.

The only real competition is another shop about 2-3 miles away which is a merida stockist then you have to go further away to get cervelos and specialized

e-rider

crappy member
As the title of this thread says am i too old to start racing/ becoming semi pro?

I am 22 years old but always wondered that i have left it too late to start to race or attempt it.

Even if i am i do have other adventures waiting like opening up my own bike servicing shop.
Greg van Avermaet was 19 when he started. However, as you know becoming a (semi)pro isn't about training hard - it's about being born with the correct genes, and training hard - do you have the genes? British Cycling can test you.

winjim

Smash the cistern
try-not.jpg

Top Bottom