Amateur ignorant ride organiser needs advice about participants having punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
one time a guy turned up on a terrible junk heap that required lots of help from others to keep it going - I wasn't directly involved so I don't recall the details.
Captain Defect! Came up in convo only this week. Wheel nuts in in a size that no spanner fitted and virtually no rim tape. He was firmly directed to a station, but not before managing to be a massive pain in the arse.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Captain Defect! Came up in convo only this week. Wheel nuts in in a size that no spanner fitted and virtually no rim tape. He was firmly directed to a station, but not before managing to be a massive pain in the arse.
On a Felpham ride. I was being deliberately vague in case he was still around ;)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
On a Felpham ride. I was being deliberately vague in case he was still around ;)
Admirably tactful, although I probably wouldn't call myself Captain Defect if I wasn't conscious of being a mahoosive liability. It definitely wasn't the first junk heap to appear on a Fridays ride, but it's probably the worst.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd love to hear more about Captain Defect ™

Here is his alter ego Captain Camouflage. You have to look closely to spot him.
felpham3-jpg.jpg

FNRttC - Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Felpham October 10th | Page 9 | CycleChat Cycling Forum

Wobblers

Euthermic

Oh dear god... yellow tights.... I thought I'd driven a stake through the heart of those memories and then buried them under a crossroads... but no....

I may never forgive you. Wibble

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That was a hell of a ride that one. Massive thunder and lightning storms. I remember thd floor of the cafe having a few inches of water on the floor.
Sandwich anyone? Cheese or ham?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Oh dear god... yellow tights.... I thought I'd driven a stake through the heart of those memories and then buried them under a crossroads... but no....

I may never forgive you. Wibble
+1. The horror, the horror…There have been PITA riders & bikes before and since, but (lovely chap as he was) dear lord that pile of junk took the biscuit.

ExBrit

Über Member
It happens at all levels. I was supporting a double-century in SoCal many years ago and came across a tandem by the side of the road trying to fix a flat. I stopped to offer my floor pump and found they had no idea how to fix the flat. "These patches don't work", they said. I had to explain that you have to let the 'glue' dry before you put the patch on the tire. "Do you carry a spare tire?", I asked. No. And we don't have a pump either.

A double-century for god's sake!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Important to have participants contact details and next of kin contact details., in case someone gets lost or injured.
That will mean you are handling personal data and should register as a data controller, make sure you are keeping it secure, following best practice, ...

It is simpler to give everyone an emergency details card (the Walking for Health website had a good one, last I checked) and get them to put their details on their phone emergency contacts screen, some of those id tags and so on. Then you can access it if needed, but aren't handling their details unnecessarily. There is a small chance all contact details may be destroyed if Godzilla eats them whole but hey, if you held the details, they'd be lost anyway when Godzilla ate you too.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
To the OP, get yourself trained in first aid, and carry a decent first aid kit. You need to be able to at least have a crack at dealing with injuries, and as you have set yourself up as the ride leader, when the pooh hits the fan, the group will most likely turn to you to sort it. I would say that a decent first aid kit and the skills to use it are at least as useful as an inner-tube and tyre levers. If someone gets a puncture it's a ball ache, if someone gets hurt it suddenly becomes much more serious than a minor inconvenience.

Good luck, it's a bloody minefield being a leader.

Top Bottom