An open letter to all condescending male chauvinist cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 4764566, member: 9609"]is it not all just a bad habit complaining about men, fair enough sexism existed once but we thankfully seem to have moved away from that - women seem to be in control of most things that are important now, look at the top three European economies all now run by women (or at least soon to be)[/QUOTE]
Yes. And racism in America ended when Obama became president.

Wobblers

Euthermic
[QUOTE 4763844, member: 43827"]Get a sense of perspective. Did I say I'd been "wronged"? Was I complaining about it, quite the opposite if you bothered to read my post? How do you know it's the exception rather than the rule, do you have the evidence to back that up? I am not vain enough to assume people will want to hear my anecdotes, but was contributing to the thread in a not too serious vein.

I will take criticism on board from women, who understand the issues first hand, and I have done so as a result of their comments, but I do not worry too much about criticism from perpetually outraged VSers.[/QUOTE]

And still you fail to understand. You explain to someone who's been patronised all her life that you have once encountered something you regard as similar - and fail to appreciate that you're trivialising her experiences.(Oh, and don't try to claim that being patronised is an every day experience, you'd have come up with more - and less banal - examples.) Likewise, comparing casual sexism to:

[QUOTE 4763004, member: 43827"]violence to women, FGM, female slavery, exploitation in the sex trade. [/QUOTE]

also continues the theme of trivialising it - and you fail to appreciate how unthinkingly offensive that is. Or this, for that matter:
[QUOTE 4762767, member: 43827"]In itself it's worth a moan on a cycling forum but is not the biggest problem in the world, and can be reduced by the victims of such behaviour giving an appropriate response to the perpetrator, as I am sure Pat is able to.
[/QUOTE]

You've managed to illustrate perfectly the behaviour Pat and other women have commented on. It is ironic that it is you who has complained about being condescended to. The smart thing to do would be to stop digging. I bet you won't, though.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Sorry if I was unclear. I admit that another reading of my statement could be that there are twice as many men named John in the whole world than there are women CEOs of FTSE 100 companies. Which would mean that there are 14 men named John in the entire farking world. Which is clearly ridiculous.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Sorry if I was unclear. I admit that another reading of my statement could be that there are twice as many men named John in the whole world than there are women CEOs of FTSE 100 companies. Which would mean that there are 14 men named John in the entire farking world. Which is clearly ridiculous.
:laugh:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Be fair. You could have meant that all 100 CEOs of FTSE 100 companies were women, and there were 700 men named John in the whole world.

Which is also ridiculous.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Be fair. You could have meant that all 100 CEOs of FTSE 100 companies were women, and there were 700 men named John in the whole world.

Which is also ridiculous.
Damn the English language!

It is interesting though, I thought the point I was making was really obvious but it seems that to others it wasn't. I was typing fast while chasing a toddler so that was the source of my brevity. Anyway, the John thing's just there to grab the attention and for emphasis, it's the 7% figure that's important.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
[QUOTE 4764732, member: 9609"]I think you must have taken that the wrong way, i was completely agreeing with you post.[/QUOTE]
Yes oops!

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 4764781, member: 9609"]The point I was referring to was that the biggest most influential countries in Europe are headed by Women, and it looks pretty certain that France will soon be joining that list (although hopefully merkle will be getting the big heave-ho) - So there we have it 50% of the worlds 6 biggest economies (these 6 countries make up well over half of all the worlds trade) will be countries headed by women, ie you can't say women are not getting a shot at the top jobs.[/QUOTE]
Yes, they are getting a shot, but they're still having to shoot backwards in high heels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom