An open letter to all condescending male chauvinist cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Well, that playing field is equal, now that Poundland is selling off-brand shewees.
That I did not know. I'll pop in and get one in anticipation of the next pissing contest.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Chapeau, Pat, for standing your ground in the face of all this nobbery.
There are not many issues I feel strongly about, but this is one of them.
I feel cycling, in any form, is good for personal well being, for the environment too, of course.
When CC Ecosse toured from Glasgow to Inverness, there was a very tough stage.
I found myself pedaling up yet another hill, exhausted, still going though, remembering two men in my past.
They would have said " you can't, you can't, you can't ...."
They loved me, you see.
Well, I can, I am doing it, so can all women that want to.

Is anyone telling people how to think? @Pat "5mph" (I think) is just suggesting how they should talk. Me too.
Nay, I'm suggesting they should shut up ^_^
I'm adding something too:
guys (the ones that do this) please don't try to get the women in your life up Mount Ventoux if they rather like a poodle along the canal.
Don't buy them a bike with a basket if they are looking fondly at a road bike - or indeed the opposite.
Most women compromise somehow in a relationship about many things, cycling should not be one of them.
Let us enjoy our little cycling conquests without putting us down: I hear lots of Belles saying " my husband is a good cyclist, he wants me to do more hills faster, he wants me to ride that bike, he wants me to wear this clothing, he wants me to ride the road, I need to train because he wants to ride that long route with me".
We had men on CC on past threads asking why is there the need of female cycling groups, well, this is why.
Oh, and another thing, the Belles would never leave a sick, injured or tired rider to find their own way home, while some groups lead by men do, I have witnessed this quite a few times, that's why I never go with a mixed group without having the route loaded on my Garmin.
But maybe I'm going a wee bit off topic now.

Hence the need for the shewee. I'm not sure that women are disadvantaged by volume.

The bladder size is independent of sex (about 600 - 800 ml)

What is more the point is how long you can "hold it in"

The bladder has sensors and usually wants to empty at about 150 ml

People can resist the urge until about 3/4 full when the ability to resist fails

There are not many issues I feel strongly about, but this is one of them.
I feel cycling, in any form, is good for personal well being, for the environment too, of course.
When CC Ecosse toured from Glasgow to Inverness, there was a very tough stage.
I found myself pedaling up yet another hill, exhausted, still going though, remembering two men in my past.
They would have said " you can't, you can't, you can't ...."
They loved me, you see.
Well, I can, I am doing it, so can all women that want to.

Nay, I'm suggesting they should shut up ^_^
I'm adding something too:
guys (the ones that do this) please don't try to get the women in your life up Mount Ventoux if they rather like a poodle along the canal.
Don't buy them a bike with a basket if they are looking fondly at a road bike - or indeed the opposite.
Most women compromise somehow in a relationship about many things, cycling should not be one of them.
Let us enjoy our little cycling conquests without putting us down: I hear lots of Belles saying " my husband is a good cyclist, he wants me to do more hills faster, he wants me to ride that bike, he wants me to wear this clothing, he wants me to ride the road, I need to train because he wants to ride that long route with me".
We had men on CC on past threads asking why is there the need of female cycling groups, well, this is why.
Oh, and another thing, the Belles would never leave a sick, injured or tired rider to find their own way home, while some groups lead by men do, I have witnessed this quite a few times, that's why I never go with a mixed group without having the route loaded on my Garmin.
But maybe I'm going a wee bit off topic now.
Calm down dear, it's only a bike ride

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That's what I just said.
To be fair, you expressed uncertainty.

I suspect that @Cunobelin is wrong, because I suspect that bladder size is correlated closely and positively with body size. But clearly he's an expert so can cite the reference.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Calm down dear, it's only a bike ride
Couldn't agree more.

Thanks for the advice Pat that I didn't ask for!

We're not all male dickheads in real life (no matter what you think, or what I write in here).

Here's a picture of my wife from a couple of weeks ago where she completed a 6 mile "mud run" for charity with various obstacles. Yes I was there giving my full support despite the fact she's not a runner and cycles infrequently. A top effort by her indeed.
IMG_0646.JPG

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not really. It's a figure of speech.
It is to you and me. But there are a lot of people who read "I'm not sure that" as "I'm not sure that".

(Edit)

Especially if they expect uncertainty from the person saying it, consciously or unconsciously.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Couldn't agree more.

Thanks for the advice Pat that I didn't ask for!

We're not all male dickheads in real life (no matter what you think, or what I write in here).

Here's a picture of my wife from a couple of weeks ago where she completed a 6 mile "mud run" for charity with various obstacles. Yes I was there giving my full support despite the fact she's not a runner and cycles infrequently. A top effort by her indeed.
View attachment 348036
WTAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom