An open letter to all condescending male chauvinist cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The thread is about the opposite, but it is true that perfectly reasonable replies adding detail to a series of posts are being misinterpreted

If this was a thread about tyres and you had said that you were uncertain about tyre size, then the usual and polite answer is to expand on that point with further detail. Had you said you were been uncertain about chain compatibility , expanding upon that would normally be an acceptable thing to do.

I had not realised this had changed.

By stating uncertainty on a subject you are inviting a reply and as a result the advice given is solicited

This thread is about exactly the opposite, unsolicited advice.
Dear Cunobelin
I do not want your advice. I hope that is now clear, even if you did not understand it before.
Thank you.
TC

U

User482

Overall, my feeling upon reading this thread is one of profound disappointment. When women are repeatedly telling us the same thing about their experiences then it behoves us to listen, reflect, and act where necessary. Instead we have seen many posters engage in casual sexism, whataboutery, trivialization and diversion rather than engage with the substance of what @Pat "5mph" and others have said. It would seem that some will go to great lengths to avoid admitting that there is a problem.

I thought we were better than this but I appear to have been complacent.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Overall, my feeling upon reading this thread is one of profound disappointment. When women are repeatedly telling us the same thing about their experiences then it behoves us to listen, reflect, and act where necessary. Instead we have seen many posters engage in casual sexism, whataboutery, trivialization and diversion rather than engage with the substance of what @Pat "5mph" and others have said. It would seem that some will go to great lengths to avoid admitting that there is a problem.

Unfortunately we don't live in a picture book perfect world.

Dear Cunobelin
I do not want your advice. I hope that is now clear, even if you did not understand it before.
Thank you.
TC

I was not the only one who failed to "understand" your poor choice of words. I can only apologise for a general response caused by your post not being clear.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
That much is evident from this thread. If you had done me the courtesy of reading my post properly, you would've seen that I advocated a course of action for living in a better world.
Ok, well put that to the worlds leaders and I'm sure everything will be hunky dory.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
bottom up, rather than top down.

Is that the same as arse over tit?

U

User482

Ok, well put that to the worlds leaders and I'm sure everything will be hunky dory.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Yep, I don't think there's a problem as in the OP, condescending men and women will be condescending to men AND women not just to one party and not just in cycling.
My wife knows and has experiences of plenty of condescending women at work, is that ok?

U

User482

Yep, I don't think there's a problem as in the OP, condescending men and women will be condescending to men AND women not just to one party and not just in cycling.
My wife knows and has experiences of plenty of condescending women at work, is that ok?

The thing about beliefs is that we need to re-evaluate them when they are challenged by evidence. The evidence presented here strongly suggests that you are wrong. I can't do anything about what you choose to do with that information.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
The thing about beliefs is that we need to re-evaluate them when they are challenged by evidence. The evidence presented here strongly suggests that you are wrong. I can't do anything about what you choose to do with that information.
What evidence? From the OP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom