An open letter to all condescending male chauvinist cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Talk about painting the whole world with a messy brush?
Oh lord. This is like one of those Tom and Jerry cartoons where they're chasing each other and they keep going past same piece of furniture over and over.

Waaah. Pat says all men are nasty. I'm being discriminated against. Boo hoo.

No she doesn't. I would suggest you re-read the OP, but it would be futile.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've been told at least twice by different men that my cadence was too low. This observation wasn't asked for but I took it in a constructive manner. Were they being condescending?
Possibly. But they were also being wrong.
Veers off topic
Anyone who says that is guaranteed to be an absolute idiot. There is no ideal cadence. A low cadence does not damage your knees. A higher cadence is not more efficient. It's all memes and myths, backed up with made up anecdata.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Possibly. But they were also being wrong.
Veers off topic
Anyone who says that is guaranteed to be an absolute idiot. There is no ideal cadence. A low cadence does not damage your knees. A higher cadence is not more efficient. It's all memes and myths, backed up with made up anecdata.
Dunno as I'm no expert, clearly you are. But there you go, telling me there's " no ideal cadence"
Are you one of these people Pat is talking about?
The cadence referred to was during a TT, I think most people racing or TTing have a fairly high cadence.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Mebbe. And in this instance, I'm right.
Yeah that figures.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I thought we were better than this but I appear to have been complacent.
Is the "we" as a cycle chat male collective?
You're not responsible ^_^

Yep, I don't think there's a problem as in the OP, condescending men and women will be condescending to men AND women not just to one party and not just in cycling.
My wife knows and has experiences of plenty of condescending women at work, is that ok?
No I'm saying that the OP is directed at "male cyclists".
Yes, the op is directed at male cyclists, because this is a cycling forum and because I described some manners of some male cyclists towards female cyclists.
What happens in your wife's work (and in mine) is irrelevant in this discussion.
I've been told at least twice by different men that my cadence was too low. This observation wasn't asked for but I took it in a constructive manner. Were they being condescending?
I think a lot of these exchanges can be taken either way, perhaps the OP is being a tad defensive and these bods are just trying to help - rightly or wrongly.
Not relevant either what other (male or female) cyclists said to you in the past, or the spirit in which you took the comments.
All I'm saying (again) to all male cyclists on this cycling forum is: I am not taking this behavior anymore.
If you're not like that, apologies, have a giggle when my pump hits the ones that are like that.
Please feel free to tell other cyclists not on this forum: gatecrashing the Glasgow Belles rides, offering unsolicited comments (unasked for help, if you will), is not acceptable to us.
Thank you.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Is the "we" as a cycle chat male collective?
You're not responsible ^_^

Yes, the op is directed at male cyclists, because this is a cycling forum and because I described some manners of some male cyclists towards female cyclists.
What happens in your wife's work (and in mine) is irrelevant in this discussion.

Not relevant either what other (male or female) cyclists said to you in the past, or the spirit in which you took the comments.
All I'm saying (again) to all male cyclists on this cycling forum is: I am not taking this behavior anymore.
If you're not like that, apologies, have a giggle when my pump hits the ones that are like that.
Please feel free to tell other cyclists not on this forum: gatecrashing the Glasgow Belles rides, offering unsolicited comments (unasked for help, if you will), is not acceptable to us.
Thank you.
Thanks for a great concise post (seriously) if only a lot of other posters on this thread had your polite manners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom