Another good reason to not adopt disc brakes on road bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Er, actually... :whistle:

My front disc brake wasn't working properly for the first couple of descents on a recent ride with @Blue Hills...

@Blue Hills has the same effect on everybody. Riding on his wheel is like riding into a black hole. It is an extraterrestrial experience. You are the first to talk openly about your experience and this will help with the trauma.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@Blue Hills has the same effect on everybody. Riding on his wheel is like riding into a black hole. It is an extraterrestrial experience. You are the first to talk openly about your experience and this will help with the trauma.
Please don't ride into @Blue Hills's black hole! ;)

Puzzled, tho am typing this after two strong beers in a grand spoons after a nice visit to a cycling couple.
Do I know you/have I ridden with you?

Thomson

Just got a new disc braked bike. Really pleased with it so far. Damp conditions still have the same braking feel. Have not braked hard with them yet Just firm. Few months in and no problems to report with them. Still use my daily bike with rim brakes on it and it’s made me like rim brakes more and see the good in them. No maintenance and really simple to adjust. As for the weight difference between them I can’t really feel a difference. Or will .499 off a kg make a difference to me.

Am I glad I got disc brakes? Yes totally.
Would my next bike have them too? Honestly I will see in more time and take it from there.

One thing I really like tho is disc brakes doesn’t wear the rim so the bikes wheels are still looking brand new.
If the weight did bother me am sure lighter tyres and tubes would help. Maybe in the future I will buy lighter disc wheels tho.
Would really like the same bike as the new one but with rim brakes just to see the difference more.

Plus the roads near me are quite flat. Not like am braking lots. Further afield hills decents I think discs would edge it.

Plus who wants to be braking to slow down anyway?....

betty swollocks

large member
I bet the same people who are resistant to disc brakes, would in the past have been resistant to:-
  • the ordinary as a step up from the hobby horse
  • the safety bicycle as a step up from the ordinary
  • chain drive from direct drive
  • pneumatic tyres from solid
  • rim brakes from no brakes
  • derailleur gears
  • clipless pedals
  • indexed gears
  • carbon frames
  • tubeless tyres
  • electronic gear shifting.
You can't stop progress and it's all made bicycles be even better.

:bicycle::popcorn:

Top Bottom