Another motorist with no respect for others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
When I first saw the OP I thought it was just some poor soul lost and maybe panicked a bit. After seeing the video, I think it sums up pretty well all thats wrong with road users and gives a clue to where we are currently heading.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Can she be charged with anything? Hopefully careless driving, etc. Otherwise we'll have 'entitled' drivers doing whatever they like.

Personally a bollard is the least I'd have stuck. She was pushing the marshall out of the way using her car. I'd have taken her keys out - did it once before when a driver threatened to run me over. They got them back after they apologised. This lady should have found another route, and in her case I'd have probably put them in a postbox or the river.
You cant do that. Members on here will have you struck off for suggesting such a thing. ^_^

Im just surprised that the Daily mail has not got this headlined as a terrorist attack.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Apparently she couldn't "get out" of the town. She does not clarify why she sump,y did not retrace the route she had taken to get there in the first place. Lazy, selfish individual.
Think you're being unkind, Drago - other adjectives might well apply. I'll assume she lives in Plymouth (maybe that road) and 'needed' to get elsewhere "a workshop in Okehampton". She could not "retrace the route" because that and the adjacent roads were closed for the half-marathon. She will have had to drive past the warnings about road closures and they'd been in the local media/radio/TV/paper and online papers. Sometimes "closed" really means "closed".

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The roads are full of these idiots. One of the reasons I no longer cycle on them.
indeed i was on the midland monster doing close to 40 mph downhill on a single track road and a car overtakes inches away , i was close to a brown trouser moment .

When I first saw the OP I thought it was just some poor soul lost and maybe panicked a bit.
Yeah - I could imagine that happening. But that was a _really_ stupid choice they made! However slowly they were driving, however 'justified' they may have thought they were in ignoring a road closure, who in their right mind thinks it is OK to drive towards a person standing in front of their car and NOT stop, actually pushing them along with a car? It's slightly surreal. Reminds me of that footage from outside a school.

I'm very appreciative and glad that, in the best part of 40 years of bimbling around various places on a bike or on foot, I've not encountered such completely pillock-ish behaviour myself.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[...] She will have had to drive past the warnings about road closures and they'd been in the local media/radio/TV/paper and online papers. Sometimes "closed" really means "closed".
But while "closed" sometimes doesn't mean "closed", people will clearly keep chancing it and getting cross when it does actually mean "closed". All road closures should be candidates for Automatic Number Plate Readers on the backs of the "ROAD CLOSED" signs that SMS the photo and plate to somewhere to mail out the fines.

If people thought that this might have been another vehicle-as-weapon terrorist attack, she was lucky not to be shot or at least dragged from the car!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What do some people think "CLOSED" means? Open if you go slowly? Open, but try not to get caught or slaughter too many pedestrians?
Sure, this one was pretty obvious and the crowds running past are a bit of a clue that it's really closed, but I'm surprised there seemed to be no diversion sign (if there was any other way out) and no-one manning the closure like at Ride London.

In general, people think "ROAD CLOSED" sometimes means "Anglian Water dug up half the road two days ago and left it to finish tomorrow and now there's not quite room for a tractor or a bus to get past so they've left the closure in place but you can still get cars past it give-and-take" because that is indeed what I've seen it mean sometimes (I was cycling). Getting tougher enforcing closures probably also means getting tougher on overlong and over-broad closures and on actually signposting the diversions properly. For example, has anyone seen ROAD CLOSED EXCEPT CYCLES outside large cities yet?

Top Bottom