Anti log burner brigade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A few years ago we had no coal merchant on the island but forestry gave permission for people to take fallen timber so long as no standing trees were felled..
Every weekend we were deafened by the sound of chainsaws and cars and pickups were loaded with logs for the week. This went on for at least 6 months till somebody got organised as a coal merchant.
There were lots of chimney fires as well.
Off topic but the countryside is a terrible place anyway for a townie. Think of all that noise from hens, cattle, sheep and noisy farmers. :laugh:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Love an open fire but only makes sense if you have a steady supply of free wood. Wood burners are extremely efficient in comparison and can also cook on the top

Burning seasoned wood if fine if you are away from other people

The problem is people using them in towns and cities as they are trendy
problem is the localised pollution they produce - fine in the middle of nowhere it just gets blown away or settles locally
In the middle of a town they the amount it overall far higher and causes lots of problems

Our neighbour burns some dodgy wood. Really stinks the place out. Might even be releasing toxins too. So I'm against them. We live in a house that's part of a long row of houses going out of the village. Houses are close together and the predominant wind direction is from stinky burners house to ours.

Even though we're rural I don't think woodburners should be used.

Also, most houses have central heating. Even our old boiler was 14 years old and fairly efficient. Our new one uses half the gas to heat the house. Our neighbour with the stinky wood had a new boiler put in a couple of years ago. They are efficient but doesn't having a single room heated by stinky woos not reduce the overall efficiency such that the potential benefits of free fuel and heat get negated by inefficiency in the central heating use?

BTW they often have windows open in winter too. I wonder if that's related to their woodburner?

Drago

Legendary Member
Does this not raise the question of frequent hypocrisy? People with multiple cars per household, none of whom would ever consider walking half a mile to the corner shop, getting het up about someone else's unnecessary pollution while being quite happy to do the same themselves.

And it's not a question of better or worse. People either pollute unnecessarily or they don't. You're either good or you're bad. You're a criminal or you're law abiding. You're dead or alive. There are no shades of grey with these things.

We live in a world where people are too quick to stick their nose into other peoples business, when adtually setting their own house in order and leading by example would be a better tactic. If just a small percentage of people went the latter route we could create Camelot, but people would rather shift the blame on others than do anything to reduce their own offending, and as a result nothing ever really changes.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Does this not raise the question of frequent hypocrisy? People with multiple cars per household, none of whom would ever consider walking half a mile to the corner shop, getting het up about someone else's unnecessary pollution while being quite happy to do the same themselves.

And it's not a question of better or worse. People either pollute unnecessarily or they don't. You're either good or you're bad. You're a criminal or you're law abiding. You're dead or alive. There are no shades of grey with these things.

We live in a world where people are too quick to stick their nose into other peoples business, when adtually setting their own house in order and leading by example would be a better tactic. If just a small percentage of people went the latter route we could create Camelot, but people would rather shift the blame on others than do anything to reduce their own offending, and as a result nothing ever really changes.

Fair point

Fair point

Anyone walking around will know there's a wood burner on.
You won't smell a car going past.

These logburners are really bad for pollution.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In Northern latitudes they have the problem that they have long days and plentiful solar energy during the summer, whereas in winter, when they need energy the most, the days are short and everywhere is blanketed in snow.

What is needed is a mechanism for harvesting the plentiful solar power in the summer months, and storing it in a form that can be released in a controlled manner in winter.

To benefit my nordic brethren I turned my massive intellect to this problem.

I invented the tree.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Actually, it's worse than that. Sticking your nose into other people's business while hypocritically not keeping your own house in order is an age old human trait. It's even in the bible.

What we see these days is bizarre "culture wars" tribalism. First you decide on the group of people you don't like. Then you ascribe some opinion or other to them. Now this opinion may be something that you would otherwise not care about but now it's attached to that infernal bunch of wrong people it becomes important. And then you attack the people you don't like through that. Note that the thread isn't about log burners per se, but about "the anti-log burner brigade". Being against log burners is just typical of that kind or puppy-strangling person.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
In Northern latitudes they have the problem that they have long days and plentiful solar energy during the summer, whereas in winter, when they need energy the most, the days are short and everywhere is blanketed in snow.

What is needed is a mechanism for harvesting the plentiful solar power in the summer months, and storing it in a form that can be released in a controlled manner in winter.

To benefit my nordic brethren I turned my massive intellect to this problem.

I invented the tree.

At the risk of thread drift, would an alternative, none polluting, solution, be, during summer, use solar to generate electricity, use that electricity to make hydrogen by electrolysis, store said hydrogen to burn for heat, in winter.

At the risk of thread drift, would an alternative, none polluting, solution, be, during summer, use solar to generate electricity, use that electricity to make hydrogen by electrolysis, store said hydrogen to burn for heat, in winter.

I think there's a few options. Solar. Batteries. Wind Turbines, hydro, nuclear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom