Any good jokes ... ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The queue for our village phone box in the evening was quite a social occasion, albeit occasionally a bit fractious if someone turned up with a huge pile of coins for a lengthy conversation.

Sunday evening at Uni always elicited good queues as it was cheaper rates and parents would often phone students back to the phone box.

There was outrage once when a parent hadn't put their phone down properly thus baring subsequent calls from the phone box - all you could hear was some family chat from a suburban brummy living room, which identified the culprit. I think a call was made to a neighbour to resolve the issue.

tyred

Legendary Member
The queue for our village phone box in the evening was quite a social occasion, albeit occasionally a bit fractious if someone turned up with a huge pile of coins for a lengthy conversation.

A friend of my Dad's was a bit of an Arthur Daly and used to use the number of the phone box in his street in advertisements in the local paper if he had a car to sell and he was often to be found sitting on the wall waiting for calls when the paper went on sale:laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
IMG_20220517_133515.jpg

Rezillo

TwoSheds
A friend of my Dad's was a bit of an Arthur Daly and used to use the number of the phone box in his street in advertisements in the local paper if he had a car to sell and he was often to be found sitting on the wall waiting for calls when the paper went on sale:laugh:

A bit OT but this is worth recounting.

Suffolk's first local radio station, back in the days when this was a Big Thing, was Radio Orwell. One of its DJs was Andy Archer, ex Radio Caroline, and his programme had a competition called Phantom Phone Box, complete with a truly awful intro jingle.

Andy would announce a village phone box that he would ring after the next track played and the person who answered would get a goodie bag (of rubbish items, as far as I could tell). So what would happen is this:

"After Seasons in the Sun, the next Phantom Phonebox (cue crap jingle) will be in Gosbeck. Get down to the phonebox and if you're the first to answer, you can win a prize".

Now sometimes this worked but just as often it went something like:

Ringing tone. Click. Hello?

Hello, this is Andy Archer from Radio Orwell and you have won our Phantom Phonebox competition. (cue jingle).

What? Who are you?

Radio Orwell. You've won!

Won what? What's going on, bor? I wus walkin pust the phun box and it rung so I answered the bloomin' thing. Who are you? Are you off yer hid?

This was always much more interesting than when it worked as intended, especially if someone desperate for a Radio Orwell pen and notepad was hammering on the door, trying to take the call away from Mr Helpful. Andy Archer was a pro DJ so I'm sure he realised the competition going wrong was the real entertainment, despite playing it deadpan straight.

ChrisKz

Don't you miss phone boxes , when all the numbers you every needed were on the walls inside :laugh:

Top Bottom