Any other fat people on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DresdenDoom

Most inmates of this forum are probably lithe and supple, not thinking twice of a 20-mile trip to go fetch the newspaper. Some of us are not like that at all, and quite frankly feel intimidated in close proximity to Lycra.

Although cycling is a perfectly good solo activity, it's better in a group as I'm sure many will attest. Let's face it though, most members of a forum like this wouldn't want to cycle with someone who would lower both speed and distance by 60%.

So here's an idea: BMI handicapping.

I note that I can't post a link here but wiki is your friend and indicates several gradations that could be used as a basis for simple groupings based purely on build rather than sex/age. If a decent-sized group could be arranged there might even be a minor competetive element. Whatever, groups of like (lack of) abilites can only be a good thing, and new friendships would re-enforce those New Year resolutions. Who knows, if we all pull together we might get off the BMI register :biggrin:

This might have already been done, I have no idea, I'm a new convert to cycling.

subaqua

What’s the point
nah most members are just like normal people , some are a bit chunky , some are a bit porkier and i am in the was a bloater now heading towards porky

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I think any cycling is good cycling DD so 'welcome'. I'm certainly not lithe and supple but enjoy getting out on my bike!

Groups to cycle with/set up depend on where you live so which bit are you in?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Isn't 22 supposed to be an 'ideal' level for muscle balance?

It may be. But around my middle certainly isn't muscle at the moment. There's the remainder of the tubbiness I used to have and I'm hoping to shift that this year. Since I now measure 6 inches less all round (chest/waist) except for the thigh (+2 inches there) I hope it shouldn't be too difficult.

OP
OP
DresdenDoom

DresdenDoom

... Since I now measure 6 inches less all round (chest/waist) except for the thigh (+2 inches there) I hope it shouldn't be too difficult.
I've always had an idea that if all the fat was stripped away there would be a fairly decent set of muscles powering it all. You seem to be supporting that theory, thanks.

Ride

I'm fairly chubbs, myself. 5 foot 5 inches and 178pds. However,that is down 12pds since I started commuting in September. Aiming for 140pds.

Chrisc

Guru
Used to be fat!
BMI is a very blunt instrument for measuring lean body mass.
Calipers used properly or, if you're a jammy bugger like me and have free access to a bod pod floatation tank at work, are better ways of checking.
My BMI is 23.5 which puts me at the upper end of healthy but my body fat is only 12% and was 9% last July.
2 years ago you wouldn't have got me near that tank!

Top Bottom