Any other fat people on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Went and got weighed at the diet consultants this morning. GF and I have now lost 15lb each in the 2 weeks we've been on this diet. That's almost 7kg. Don't feel tired at work or during the evening. 2 weeks and 1stone gone we decided to book a trip to the smoke to see the Hockney exhibition in March when, hopefully, we will be another 2 stone lighter.
Still can't go out on the bike this week as still on the 500 calories :cry:. She says I've got to be up to at least 1000 and then only light exercise.
We gave up smoking 2 years ago. Now trying to give up the lb's :whistle:.

OP
OP
DresdenDoom

DresdenDoom

Wow, I'd forgotten about this thread. Really surprised at the number of non-sylphs on the site. OK then, next question. Are any of you within a fat blokes cycling range of Northampton? That roughly translates to between Milton Keynes and Rugby.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Well I was almost 16 stone when I took up cycling last April. In the last 12 months I've gotten to the stage where I'm commuting 50 miles per week and doing a long 50 mile ride at the weekend. And I'm still almost 16 stone!

OP
OP
DresdenDoom

DresdenDoom

lol Mr. Priest. I'll bet that the 50mls seems a lot easier than when you started though. That's certainly how cycling has affected me. Stubborn stuff, weight :sad:

Part time cyclist

Über Member
With a better diet and cycling I have lost nearly 3 stone and at 13 stone the good ol weight watchers still reckon I have nearly another stone to go to reach the upper limits of a healthy BMI what a lot if tosh, at 13 stone I feel healthy and have now taken up running again and aiming to get back in the water to train for a triathlon, I can quiet honestly say getting back on the bike last April has changed the way I live my life.......

DaveW

I dropped from 89kg to 73kg (I'm 5 foot 8) in 2010 over about 6 months by reducing my carb intake and eating more fish and veg. Didnt do any exercise at all at the time. In 2011 I started jogging to try to maintain my weight as I had started eating carbs again but my knees hated it and my weight has crept back up to 80kgs in parallel with me eating bread, spuds and pasta every day again. Hoping my new cycling hobby will allow me to chip it back down to the low 70s again. I think I will cut my carbs back again too to help me on my way as my experience tells me that exercise is only a tiny part of the battle.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I dropped from 89kg to 73kg (I'm 5 foot 8) in 2010 over about 6 months by reducing my carb intake and eating more fish and veg. Didnt do any exercise at all at the time. In 2011 I started jogging to try to maintain my weight as I had started eating carbs again but my knees hated it and my weight has crept back up to 80kgs in parallel with me eating bread, spuds and pasta every day again. Hoping my new cycling hobby will allow me to chip it back down to the low 70s again. I think I will cut my carbs back again too to help me on my way as my experience tells me that exercise is only a tiny part of the battle.
i eat pasta and bread, but only wholemeal......never eat white bread and pasta

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm a svelte twenty two stones but it doesn't stop me from getting out and doing 100km+ rides. I did the Friday Night Ride to the Coast from York to Hull on Friday night and I conquered the hills that defeated me on the September rife last year. I am however three stones lighter this year.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Most inmates of this forum are probably lithe and supple, not thinking twice of a 20-mile trip to go fetch the newspaper. Some of us are not like that at all, and quite frankly feel intimidated in close proximity to Lycra.

Although cycling is a perfectly good solo activity, it's better in a group as I'm sure many will attest. Let's face it though, most members of a forum like this wouldn't want to cycle with someone who would lower both speed and distance by 60%.

So here's an idea: BMI handicapping.

I note that I can't post a link here but wiki is your friend and indicates several gradations that could be used as a basis for simple groupings based purely on build rather than sex/age. If a decent-sized group could be arranged there might even be a minor competetive element. Whatever, groups of like (lack of) abilites can only be a good thing, and new friendships would re-enforce those New Year resolutions. Who knows, if we all pull together we might get off the BMI register :biggrin:

This might have already been done, I have no idea, I'm a new convert to cycling.

I thought about this as I was losing weight

A race by not age or sex class but weight class

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
I don't really think that the premium version of Strava is worth it, but one of the features that is more worthwhile, is the ability to categorise segments by weight. That way I can see how I stand up against the other, more, errrm, manly riders! ;)

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I don't really think that the premium version of Strava is worth it, but one of the features that is more worthwhile, is the ability to categorise segments by weight. That way I can see how I stand up against the other, more, errrm, manly riders! ;)

Good shout. I live in a pretty quite place but there's still a good 15-25 other riders on most segments and of course the closer to Manchester I get. the bigger that list becomes

toroddf

22 stones and has done 800 miles this year already. Want to loose weight and has dedicated this month to get into a good eating habit which I have to keep for the rest of my life. I am eating far more than 2600 calories a day, let me put it this way. I need to get under that again.

I am on the NHS weight loss programme and is getting all the information requires to survive this. It is the application of the knowhow which is sorely lacking. I have been a 30 stoner so I know I can if I want.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
22 stones and has done 800 miles this year already. Want to loose weight and has dedicated this month to get into a good eating habit which I have to keep for the rest of my life. I am eating far more than 2600 calories a day, let me put it this way. I need to get under that again.

I am on the NHS weight loss programme and is getting all the information requires to survive this. It is the application of the knowhow which is sorely lacking. I have been a 30 stoner so I know I can if I want.

I've done half your miles and have list a couple of pounds this year. Not needing to lose now as under 14 stone. Cycling is only part of the answer

Dropping 8stone tells me you have the know how and application. This is something you got in the bag mate

If you want it!!!!!!!

toroddf

Thanx.

I have had the usual midlife crisis and an evaluation of this earthly life = I have decided that I like a bikerider lifestyle far more than the sofa dwelling lifestyle. My problem is my diet/food intake. When that is fixed, I will rapidly loose weight.

Bikeriding, or make that "road and scenic landscape spotter", is what I love most in life. That is my unofficial title too. OK....lifestyle bikerider is probably a better title. The hunt for new vistas and the bikeriding itself on thin racing bike wheels is why I do my bikerides. That is what gives me most pleasures and I am still getting a lot of strenght from the North Cape ride I did back in 1989.

So my stomach and the rest of the blubber has to go, I am afraid if I reach my goal of 80-120 miles a day on the many great roads in the British Isles. I have to become slim and healthy.

Top Bottom