Any other fat people on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The mistake I always made was cutting back food too much, at the same time as increasing effort - net result was I completely flakes out after about a week, because I was exhausted. (starvation mode).
But estimating calories and estimating portion sizes is exactly what leads to "slow metabolism".
Best book I read on the subject is called the hacker diet. It's online, and is all about using an engineering approach to figuring out your own metabolic balance, and keeping track rather than trusting to a diet book.

Got me on track - eating 4000 calories per day, and doing 5000 in exercise was really the best of both worlds.
Since moving house, job etc I've lost track and put weight back on again. Cycling is - I hope - going to get me back in shape, as commute time is also exercise time. And hopefully will also save a noticable amount in car running costs.
Ah yes, I remember finding the Hacker's Diet a few years ago. It's an excellent read for people who understand technical talk and don't have the attention spans of gnats. The trouble is - a lot of people don't understand technical talk and do have the attention spans of gnats! :thumbsup: For those of you who fall into the former camp, the 'diet' is described here.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I keep thinking that one day I'll write a diet book - the lard and seasoning diet. The idea being that you measure out 2500 kcal of lard (less some, for weight loss), and eat that over the day "whenever you feel like!" I think it'd be brilliant - people would lose weight, but better yet, no one in their right mind would stick to it past week two. So it falling apart would be blamed in their willpower.

Using of course, sound priciples and science to explain exactly why it "works" and glossing over inconvenient facts like malnutrition...

Does the "seasoning" in the lard include artificial sweeteners, lots of salt and colour? It also needs lots of preservatives, and chemicals of unknown description and quantity. You must forget to tell people that they could have a proper meal, with fruit and vegetables instead of your brightly packaged lard.
On second thoughts, no don't do that. A proper meal would be much more satisfying, and then they might decide it is simpler* to eat less of things they like, rather than your branded lard. You should also make sure they sign up to receive the lard every week for six months, alledgedly.

* Simpler in this context does not necessarily mean "easier". Simpler equals healthier, better tasting and more satisfying. This process gradually becomes easier.

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
...I'm currently (as of this morning) 97.2kg, which at 6'2" puts me at an overweight BMI of 27.5...
Nearly 100 miles done last week, with 50 done on the club run yesterday. All calories are being accounted for too and Mrs Monster is joining me on the healthy eating thing, so it makes matters easier.

As of this morning, I'm down to 94.7Kg, which I don't think is terrible going.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I was 17st when I started cycling last May. I've lost about 8lbs since.I cycle 80 miles per week and eat like two pigs.

RhythMick

Über Member
I must research how many calories beer gives. Not that I drink much, but I thought the sugar was supposed to turn to alcohol?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

RhythMick

Über Member
I must research how many calories beer gives. Not that I drink much, but I thought the sugar was supposed to turn to alcohol?

Hmmm...
MILD 130/pint
GUINESS 210
Average 170

Good job I don't drink too much.

simon.r

Person
I'm not overweight (6'2" / 12 stone 10 lb / BMI 23). I'm sorry^_^ I have been overweight in the past, but have controlled my weight for the last few years by eating healthily and sensibly (mostly of the time!)

The point of my post is not to talk about weight loss, but body shape. My weight's about the same, but since I've started regular, day in / day out cycling a few months ago my body shape has changed - for the better! And, I can eat more:biggrin: The excess fat around my middle is slowly disappearing and my muscles (particularly legs) are becoming more defined. It's at the point now where people are telling me I'm skinny, even though I weigh the same as I did before! I'm now struggling to resist the tempataion to eat loads of biscuits and cakes instead of eating more healthy food, as I know my weight and external shape won't change much if I visit the cream cake section whenever I go to Asda - it's just being aware of the unseen changes inside my body that prevent me over-indulging!

I just need to stop smoking now...^_^

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Exactly the same here over the last couple of years. Except the smoking bit.

Recent health check confirms that my body is also much healthier now, including the bits that you can't see (cholestrol and blood pressure levels).

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
Stopping smoking is surely gotta be a walk in the park if you've managed all of that? 6'2" and under 13 stone? <jealous face>

Imagine how quick you'd get up hills if you packed the cigs in? ;)

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
I find it dead easy to stop smoking, I do it 2 or 3 times most years:laugh: My problem is that it's even easier to start again! The mind is willing but the body is weak...one day!

I know what you mean - I used to smoke myself, though not in about 7 or 8 years now... All the times I *tried* to give up, I failed. One day I lit one, it tasted rank, and I just stopped overnight. Guess I was just lucky!

Top Bottom