Any other fat people on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
We are athletes Phil.....carb loading for us!:laugh:

Oh of course .............. I forgot .............. :giggle:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Size doesn't have to stop you cycling long distances. I'm currently at 38 BMI but last year rode 2 200km Audaxes and a number of rides well over 50 miles.

Size certainly doesn't get in the way of my cycling. I was probably the heaviest rider on last year's FNRttC York - Hull Ride. It hasn't stopped me from riding 80+ x 100km audaxes and around 12 x 200km Audaxes over the past six years as well as a LEJOG, a JOGLE, eight or nine coast to coast rides and cycle touring in France, Switzerland and Germany.

I need to be eight feet tall to reach a healthy BMI.

I have started a calorie reduction program and aim to shrink into my kilt by May. Further weight loss is needed to compensate for a taller bottom gear on the new touring bike that I am having built.

Camrider

We hopefully will get a stone off in a month.

Trouble is that is unlikely to be a stone of fat. That is too much to lose in such a short time, fat loss is great but muscle loss is bad. Rapid weight loss is mostly followed by equally rapid gain, slow and sustainable loss is the way to go.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i used to do slimming world which i found quite good, mixing up red and green days, still being able to eat what you want (within reason) and load up on free foods (like pasta on green or steaks/protein on reds) it was quite easy to keep the weight off as it gets you into using your kitchen more and for what its meant for plus you can still have takeaways as long as you choose wisely.

i went from 18 stone to 14 stone, has taken me 3 years to get back up to 16 stone but thats due to late nights/sleepless nights and the wife having our little boy (plus a trip to america! i think i put on a stone in 2 weeks!) big losses turn into big gains easily! 1-2 lbs off a week is a healthy weight loss, 5-6+ is not!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Deep fried pizza brekkie will set you up!:tongue:
Said like a true Scot!

Sobrique

Unrepentant fat man here. 135kg. Used to be active, changed job and ... Well am not any more. I tell myself that BMI is a nonsense - my build is such that I'll never be "average" but reckon I could lose a fair bit of lard. Which is why my plan this year is to cycle 10m each way to work on a daily basis. At least, accomplish that by the end of the year. I think I'll do it wasn't so very long ago that I was maintaining 10m per day walking.

But yes - expect the first few weeks to be a bit hard :smile:

Paul_T

Yes - agree with Sobrique above, don't take any notice of this BMI blurb, it doesn't mean a thing, how can you say that a certain height should be a certain weight, load of rubbish if you ask me. As for being fat, I'm probably a pound or too over, but cycling is one of the BEST weight loss activities one can do, so get on that bike!:bicycle:

Sobrique

I'm sorry to hear about your wife mr_hippo. It's understandable how that would knock you back - the same thing happened to me at the end of 2010 when my mum became terminally ill and died at Christmas. 2011 was a mixed year, but at least I'm starting 2012 about 9 or 10 pounds down on the 2011 weight.

I've seen numerous TV shows where people said exactly the same thing and in every case, they were way out on their calorie counts. One large female TV personality (I've forgotten her name) swore blind that she was big because of her metabolism/genes/whatever and that she only ate about 800 calories worth of food a day. When the team double-checked, they found the figure was more like 3,000 calories. They put her on a diet with a moderate calorie deficit and got her to do a bit more walking and the weight started to fall off her.

I am 6' 1" tall and a medium build and I can only get away with eating about half the calories that my skinny 5' 10" friend does, but if I drop below that level I will lose weight. The problem is that I choose to pour so much beer down my neck that it more than compensates for my otherwise healthy diet!

It's a physical impossibility to stay fat if you consume fewer calories than your weight maintenance level. If somebody locked you up in a dungeon, you would starve and fade away just like everyone else; you'd probably survive longer, that's all.

If you can stop eating and not lose weight, then you have discovered the biological equivalent of a perpetual motion machine! I'm not suggesting that you stop eating altogether, but there is a calorie intake for each individual which will see them lose weight.

Your portions may not be large compared to the humungous portions that my (lucky bastard) skinny mate eats, but they are clearly large relative to what you need. Either that, or there are too many of them.

Some people lose weight on 4,000 calories a day, and some gain weight on 2,000. If you want to lose weight, you just need to find the intake that works for you and stick to that. If 2,000 calories is too much, try 1,750.

I'm fat again (about 45 pounds overweight) and it is purely down to too many calories in compared to calories burned, just like it is with every other fat person.

As for the DresdenDoom and cycling at 12 mph ... on a flat road with no wind, that really doesn't require much effort (well under 100 watts) but even if he really can't generate that power now, a few months of regular cycling should get him to that kind of level and beyond - ask Gaz (gb155)!

The mistake I always made was cutting back food too much, at the same time as increasing effort - net result was I completely flakes out after about a week, because I was exhausted. (starvation mode).
But estimating calories and estimating portion sizes is exactly what leads to "slow metabolism".
Best book I read on the subject is called the hacker diet. It's online, and is all about using an engineering approach to figuring out your own metabolic balance, and keeping track rather than trusting to a diet book.

Got me on track - eating 4000 calories per day, and doing 5000 in exercise was really the best of both worlds.
Since moving house, job etc I've lost track and put weight back on again. Cycling is - I hope - going to get me back in shape, as commute time is also exercise time. And hopefully will also save a noticable amount in car running costs.

Sobrique

IMO Cambridge, Atkins and all those other fad diets are a waste of space, yes they can lead to people losing weight but few manage to maintain the loss, and some are downright dangerous.

I keep thinking that one day I'll write a diet book - the lard and seasoning diet. The idea being that you measure out 2500 kcal of lard (less some, for weight loss), and eat that over the day "whenever you feel like!" I think it'd be brilliant - people would lose weight, but better yet, no one in their right mind would stick to it past week two. So it falling apart would be blamed in their willpower.

Using of course, sound priciples and science to explain exactly why it "works" and glossing over inconvenient facts like malnutrition...

Top Bottom