Any PC gamers around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Typical, after writing "my 970 is fine for gaming", now the fan bearings are giving out.

I'm sure it's not a sinister ploy by nvidia to force me to upgrade, and is almost certainly more a consequence of me running flight sim constantly while doing other things (got to earn those FSEconomy v$ somehow)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Typical, after writing "my 970 is fine for gaming", now the fan bearings are giving out.

I'm sure it's not a sinister ploy by nvidia to force me to upgrade, and is almost certainly more a consequence of me running flight sim constantly while doing other things (got to earn those FSEconomy v$ somehow)

Pop em off and drop some bike lube on them.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Did anyone else try and get a 3080? Month in now after pre order and no sign of the chuffing thing... the perils of PC gaming continue ....

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
I know two people who have them on back order with no date in sight.

I'd cancel it and wait given the 3070 and 3080 upgrades due soon.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/rtx-3080-refresh
I am tantalisingly 4th in the queue now some poor folk are 1000+ now after pre-ordering last month. Nvidia have got a licence to print money just now, a strange state of affairs given the hardships being faced by other businesses.

Jody

Stubborn git
I am tantalisingly 4th in the queue now some poor folk are 1000+ now after pre-ordering last month. Nvidia have got a licence to print money just now, a strange state of affairs given the hardships being faced by other businesses.

I reckon spare cash/lockdown and bitcoin mining will see costs go up even more.

I'm hoping the competition from Big Navi keeps it all under control.

Anyone on here do any streaming? I tried my hand at it last night using OBS. Fun to howl into the void for an hour and a half, but despite using nvidia's GPU hardware encoding I was seeing 20% skipped frames because my CPU would intermittently max out. No rhyme or reason for it - super frustrating.

I know my rig isn't the sharpest but it should be able to easily manage 1280x720@60. My mate uses software encoding (he has AMD so NVENC isn't available to him) and he has a much better time.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
:whistle:My son does, but I couldn't tell you what he's using.

He's set up a sim racing team and they have done quite well in the last 12 months, so much so, they now have sponsorship from an oil company. My son isn't one of their top drivers but co-owns the team and does all the background work/ promotion etc. They are working out how to invest the money now !

www.sidemax.co.uk

:whistle:My son does, but I couldn't tell you what he's using.

He's set up a sim racing team and they have done quite well in the last 12 months, so much so, they now have sponsorship from an oil company. My son isn't one of their top drivers but co-owns the team and does all the background work/ promotion etc. They are working out how to invest the money now !

www.sidemax.co.uk
Nice! eSports racing is weird to me (I grew up playing the Crammond F1GP games), but I like that the new crop of pro drivers are also sim racers - and some of the older hands also partake. A guy I know beat Rubens Barrichello in iRacing :biggrin:

If your son is running a sim racing team I think his AV setup will be slightly more advanced than me faffing about with encoder settings in OBS :laugh:

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
I've not tried streaming yet as I don't think this GPU is up to it but I'm going to have a dabble when the upgrade arrives.

@Grant Fondo Did you card ever arrive?
Thanks for asking and very timely! I got a dispatch email this morning 7 weeks after ordering so RTX 3080 on its way :okay: unlike hundreds of others still waiting. Its been a monumental cock-up by Nvidia.

Top Bottom