Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Left glute/upper hamstring/abductor let go without warning at km 2 this morning. Wasn't gunning the pace, no niggles before, just pow! ow! ow! ow! and off I limped.

ffs. I hate getting old(er)

bigjim

Legendary Member
I run when I can't get out on the bike. Thirty years ago I ran a few marathons. I only do a local 3 mile run now but I sometimes walk a part of that but I do run the whole distance pretty easily. I'm big and heavy so more a plodder. I'm often confused whether it is best for fitness sake to walk fast or run. There is an old guy in the gym that power walks for an hour about four times a week. You should see the body on him! Like a thirty year old and he just seems to do stretches and a few light weights in the gym.

I think I might need to go back to the docs, no sign of much improvement to my ankle (after 2 months) which continues to swell up even after gentle spinning on the turbo trainer - I did a few spins last week and one this week just to see how it would react - and my knee continues to click like a clicky thing. Bollocking bollocks...
I have managed a week of turbo without any ill-effect, building up from 10 minutes to 20 minutes...
Running may have to wait a while but delighted to be able to do something.

Just before New Year, wife & daughter asked me to register them. as part of the (as per each year.....) new year 'get fit'/'lose weight' campaign
icon_biggrin.gif

Have done so

Joanne (SWMBO) has already asked which is flattest of the local PRs - all 3 have varying gradients, but I've suggested Nostell Priory first, as it's downhill not long after the start

Nostell ParkRun again this morning (#129)

Plus, SWMBO surprised me, by standing on the steps of the 'big house' itself, as we headed out on first lap (she had meant to come to watch, before going to her office, but had told me she wasn't bothering)

I think some of the 'larger' ladies have demonstrated exactly what I keep telling her, about it's for everyone :okay:

Something must be happening, as I phoned her, whilst on meal-break this evening
They'd been to the local SweatShop (in 'Xscape', near jct 32/M62), & bought run-tights, tops, shoes for Joanne (Amelia already has them for School)

Plus, to point out, how serious they are, 'FitBit' watches!!!

Mainly through Weston. I've tried getting out with Weston AC in the past 2 months, but it seems like work is starting to get back in the way. What about you, anything to look for in routes?

No not really. just round the village(locking) & through locking castle. Ive thought about the AC too, but having bumped into a few of them at Hutton Moor & found them quite stand offish i've never bothered.

SWSteve

Guru
No not really. just round the village(locking) & through locking castle. Ive thought about the AC too, but having bumped into a few of them at Hutton Moor & found them quite stand offish i've never bothered.

I see what you mean, I've certainly met far more talkative groups. The majority if my time us running through Weston Village as there are lots of paths that are easily accessible. Do you strata?

I see what you mean, I've certainly met far more talkative groups. The majority if my time us running through Weston Village as there are lots of paths that are easily accessible. Do you strata?

I've just followed you on strava:okay:.

Sundays 'Stanbury Splash' race details, just in case anyone in the Yorkshire/East Lancashire area fancies an attempt?

Sunday 15th January @ 11:30
Catagory 'BM'
7 miles/1300 feet of climbing
Penistone Hill Country Park, nr Haworth, Keighley.
OS grid ref: (map 104) SE 025 364

Entries on the day only @ £4.00

http://woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topic=stanbury&subtopic=home

Didn't run last year, due to a very sore knee, thus I need to go
I also have a couple of fell-running novices, who may be co-erced into coming
Especially, if I offer them my traditional call at a Fish & Chip shop on the way home, for "Fish, Chips, Peas, & another Fish"!!

Then, if anyone does, we'll be parting ways, as I'm off straight to work, for a 'late-turn' (till 22:00), will shower at work

The route, in pictures
(may be amended, if sheet-ice is present)
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/110439573756197443848/album/AF1Qip N9bQebylY1p4HbtkOm-TF06ZhuVQI504X1G49H?source=pwa

My 'Splash' History
2010 = 154th/298 @ 1.03:09 (first attempt)
2011 = 179th/406 @ 1.02:09
2012 = 160th/370 @ 1.06:10
2013 = 195th/336 @ 57:05 (altered/shortened course, due to sheet-ice)
2014 = Did Not Attend (due to injured foot)
2015 = Did Not Attend (way too unfit)
2016 = Did Not Attend (knee injury)

Given my present fitness/levels of speed, I'll be happy for anything under 1.10:00
IF, it's the usual course

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Trying to get back into a regular schedule again, starting Saturday last. The bad news is that the disruption of enjoying myself &c over the holidays added a minute to my usual 5km time. The good news is that I really like the new shoes Mrs M bought me for Christmas (Brooks Ravenna).

flatflr

Guru
Starting to try working on running with fatigued legs to prepare for some longer runs this year.

Kicked off with 9 miles off road yesterday, followed by 6 miles on road this evening after work.

Legs feeling ok so will up the distance in the coming weeks and months.

Last edited:
Top Bottom