1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Runners On Here??

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Richard A Thackeray, 1 Sep 2012.

1. DRHysted

DRHysted Über Member

Finally did a reasonable distance today (8.5miles), that's my longest since 16th October when I did my calf damage. Damn slow at 8:20 minutes per mile when my target for the Southampton half in April is 6:45. But as long as I stay injury free I can't see any problems improving on that. I had got to 7:00 before the set backs.

Week after next I'm aloud to up it to 2 road runs with the treadmill work. Can't wait it's soooooo much nicer running in the real world, rather than looking at the kitchen wall all the time!

pubrunner, flatflr and Znook like this.
  2. Missed out on the 'Auld Lang Syne' on Saturday, as I failed to send my entry in time
    It's the only one of Eileen, & Daves, races that are (mailed) entries in advance, and all 400 places can go in one postal delivery!
    http://www.woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topic=als

It sometimes makes it to the mainstream papers, as well as the Yorkshire Post

This was in the Sunday Times
    2016. ALS. 1.jpg

And the YPs picture

2016. ALS. 2.jpg

There's generally a pair of quite good (Bingley Harriers) triathletes running too...........:whistle:
    Here's one of them back in 2012 (in the blue/white vest)
    2012. ALS.jpg

NB; If anyone watched the recent Brontes drama (To Walk Invisible) on BBC, the filmset was built in/around the quarry where the Woodentops events start/finish

Last edited: 4 Jan 2017
    flatflr, Tin Pot and Znook like this.
  3. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

Bike to run this morning - just 15 mins run after 75mins turbo

4. flatflr

flatflr Über Member

Got home from work planning another run this evening, dug through my running kit drawer looking for a pair of tights, realised I only had two pairs (not three that I thought I had) which were in the wash I decided to head out in shorts, damn that was chilly.

Ended up with 6 miles off road and legs covered with mud, great fun:smile:

Last edited: 4 Jan 2017
    pubrunner, GrumpyGregry and Znook like this.
  5. ItsSteveLovell

ItsSteveLovell Veteran

45 minutes on the turbo straight after work. Looking forward to the run tomorrow

Operation shed 16kilo has started

6. where do you run Steve? I think you live close to me.

7. Ran to work yesterday, partly XC. through woodland, & along the bank of the River Calder (it was the route of a colliery railway, that took coal to the loading point at the Canal. Into 'Tom Puddings', if anyone knows what they are)
    Scroll down to below the 'boat launch', & the picture of the saddle-tank locomotive shows what it was like (I run along the 'line' heading away from the camera)
    http://www.stanleyhistoryonline.com/Ferry-Lane-Photos.html

It was a bit cool, sunny, but frozen ground, & usually quite muddy in parts - this is the entry into NewLands Woods (taken a few weeks ago, but just a frozen version)
    13413618_10208519165368919_1553516572827625905_n.jpg

Further along, as I pass from the Woods, onto the river bank, if it's rained a lot, there can be a large (knee-deep) 'puddle', full of whatever's washed down into it...............

12801159_10207709926178445_8814309772560048275_n.jpg
    Coming home, at 22:30 was considerably colder though, with a sharp frost on the ground, & yes, I was in shorts:angel:
    Back the same way, river bank & woods (with headtorch)

flatflr, Znook and mudrock like this.
  8. mudrock

mudrock Über Member

I am planning on doing soon,
    But either cycle or drive to work in the morning, then run home.
    It's a mixed route, 25% off road 25% on road, 50% cycle track.
    8 miles in all.

Znook and Richard A Thackeray like this.
  9. Mine's about 25% off-road, 75% (good) farm-track/pavement
    4 miles to work that way, if I make the full road (as per bike-route), it's about 4 & 1/2

mudrock likes this.
  10. ItsSteveLovell

ItsSteveLovell Veteran

Mainly through Weston. I've tried getting out with Weston AC in the past 2 months, but it seems like work is starting to get back in the way. What about you, anything to look for in routes?

11. Nostell ParkRun again this morning (#129)

I was pleased, & surprised, to see a few familiar faces there, that I've not seen for a while
    Stella, who was one of our Nurses, before leaving
    Angela, & (other half) Mick; 'A' is a very good Duathlete, & ex-National champion, 'M' is a very good triathlete, who has worn an (age-group) GB tri-suit

A slow start, from near the back

Plus, SWMBO surprised me, by standing on the steps of the 'big house' itself, as we headed out on first lap (she had meant to come to watch, before going to her office, but had told me she wasn't bothering)

29th/228 @ 24:10 for me
    Angela = 5th @ 20:58
    Mick = 11th @ 21:28
    (my course PB would have got me 12th today!!)

We, as a Club, also took 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th. & 2nd lady; Liane (in 18th)

12. Znook

Znook aka PureZOOG

My turn to Run Direct at parkrun today so no chance to run. Seriously tempted to go out now for a 5k but it's very misty at the moment where I live. I know, I know call me a wimp lol. Maybe later :smile:

Garry A likes this.
  13. Garry A

Garry A Smiling cyclist.

Falkirk Parkrun this morning. 23.23 and 38th out of 259. Happy with that as I've not been at my best recently.

flatflr and Znook like this.
  14. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry GrumpyGuru

Left glute/upper hamstring/abductor let go without warning at km 2 this morning. Wasn't gunning the pace, no niggles before, just pow! ow! ow! ow! and off I limped.

ffs. I hate getting old(er)

15. Znook

Znook aka PureZOOG

Ouch, sorry to hear this - wishing you a speedy recovery.