1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Runners On Here??

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Richard A Thackeray, 1 Sep 2012.

1. bigjim

bigjim Veteran

I run when I can't get out on the bike. Thirty years ago I ran a few marathons. I only do a local 3 mile run now but I sometimes walk a part of that but I do run the whole distance pretty easily. I'm big and heavy so more a plodder. I'm often confused whether it is best for fitness sake to walk fast or run. There is an old guy in the gym that power walks for an hour about four times a week. You should see the body on him! Like a thirty year old and he just seems to do stretches and a few light weights in the gym.

pubrunner and flatflr like this.
  2. Marmion

Marmion Guru

I have managed a week of turbo without any ill-effect, building up from 10 minutes to 20 minutes...
    Running may have to wait a while but delighted to be able to do something.

DP, pubrunner, flatflr and 3 others like this.
  3. Just before New Year, wife & daughter asked me to register them. as part of the (as per each year.....) new year 'get fit'/'lose weight' campaign icon_biggrin.gif
    Have done so

Joanne (SWMBO) has already asked which is flattest of the local PRs - all 3 have varying gradients, but I've suggested Nostell Priory first, as it's downhill not long after the start

I think some of the 'larger' ladies have demonstrated exactly what I keep telling her, about it's for everyone :okay:

Something must be happening, as I phoned her, whilst on meal-break this evening
    They'd been to the local SweatShop (in 'Xscape', near jct 32/M62), & bought run-tights, tops, shoes for Joanne (Amelia already has them for School)

Plus, to point out, how serious they are, 'FitBit' watches!!!

flatflr, Stephenite and Znook like this.
  4. No not really. just round the village(locking) & through locking castle. Ive thought about the AC too, but having bumped into a few of them at Hutton Moor & found them quite stand offish i've never bothered.

5. ItsSteveLovell

ItsSteveLovell Veteran

I see what you mean, I've certainly met far more talkative groups. The majority if my time us running through Weston Village as there are lots of paths that are easily accessible. Do you strata?

6. I've just followed you on strava:okay:.

7. ItsSteveLovell

ItsSteveLovell Veteran

Don't be too impressed. I've somehow ballooned up to 81kg, so the pace has dropped.

8. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

Solid 56 min 10k through dykes of Minnis Bay yesterday, nothing special but a decent start to the year.

9. Sundays 'Stanbury Splash' race details, just in case anyone in the Yorkshire/East Lancashire area fancies an attempt?

Sunday 15th January @ 11:30
    Catagory 'BM'
    7 miles/1300 feet of climbing
    Penistone Hill Country Park, nr Haworth, Keighley.
    OS grid ref: (map 104) SE 025 364

Entries on the day only @ £4.00

http://woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topic=stanbury&subtopic=home

Didn't run last year, due to a very sore knee, thus I need to go
    I also have a couple of fell-running novices, who may be co-erced into coming
    Especially, if I offer them my traditional call at a Fish & Chip shop on the way home, for "Fish, Chips, Peas, & another Fish"!!

Then, if anyone does, we'll be parting ways, as I'm off straight to work, for a 'late-turn' (till 22:00), will shower at work

The route, in pictures
    (may be amended, if sheet-ice is present)
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/110439573756197443848/album/AF1Qip N9bQebylY1p4HbtkOm-TF06ZhuVQI504X1G49H?source=pwa

My 'Splash' History
    2010 = 154th/298 @ 1.03:09 (first attempt)
    2011 = 179th/406 @ 1.02:09
    2012 = 160th/370 @ 1.06:10
    2013 = 195th/336 @ 57:05 (altered/shortened course, due to sheet-ice)
    2014 = Did Not Attend (due to injured foot)
    2015 = Did Not Attend (way too unfit)
    2016 = Did Not Attend (knee injury)

Given my present fitness/levels of speed, I'll be happy for anything under 1.10:00
    IF, it's the usual course

10. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Trying to get back into a regular schedule again, starting Saturday last. The bad news is that the disruption of enjoying myself &c over the holidays added a minute to my usual 5km time. The good news is that I really like the new shoes Mrs M bought me for Christmas (Brooks Ravenna).

flatflr likes this.
  11. flatflr

flatflr Über Member

Starting to try working on running with fatigued legs to prepare for some longer runs this year.

Kicked off with 9 miles off road yesterday, followed by 6 miles on road this evening after work.

Legs feeling ok so will up the distance in the coming weeks and months.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2017
    John the Monkey likes this.
  12. flatflr

flatflr Über Member

Another 6.5 miles for me this evening (mostly off road). That was much harder then yesterdays.

Day off tomorrow:smile:

Tin Pot likes this.
  13. ItsSteveLovell

ItsSteveLovell Veteran

First proper run of the year, warmup followed by 5 x 4:00 intervals with a minutes rest between reps.

Loved every second of it

Tin Pot and flatflr like this.
  14. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

An easy 5.5 mile group run with half a mile warm up/warm down either side.

...Followed by two pints and a glass of wine. Then steak/sausage/meat fest and an ale. :smile:

ItsSteveLovell and flatflr like this.
  15. flatflr

flatflr Über Member

Perfect post run meal:smile: