Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bearing in mind this is not medical advice (I'm just some bloke on the Internet), I agree with others who suggest its probably the intensity of exercise that's more important here than the duration, and that you should be keeping your heart rate modest rather than anywhere near max - that would certainly fit with my own cardiac rehab experience. I'd also second the suggestion of getting a heart rate monitor - some of the fitness bands that can do it are not expensive these days.

One thing I will strongly suggest is that, if you're unsure what they mean exactly by "not do do lots of exercise", ask. I've always found the cardio folk very willing to explain things in whatever detail is needed. In fact, a friend of mine doing cardiac rehab recently had a bit of a scare by not doing as he was told - instead of the gentle settings and paces he was supposed to be doing on the exercise machines at his rehab sessions, he was cranking it up and pushing hard because he didn't think the gentle stuff was doing the trick.

That ended in a panic when he was quickly observed, stopped, and wired up to all the machines to check he was OK. And then he got the proper explanation, that gentle aerobic exercise that kept his HR above normal but not too high is what was needed. I'm sure your consultant will be able to quantify the recommendations - on what HR range is good for you and for what durations.

Alan
Agreed.
gentle warm-up and warm-down cardio stuff is good. What's not recommended is sudden exertion like running for a bus of lifting heavy objects which puts a sudden load on the heart.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Well....

Having started this thread as a survivor I'm adding a further survivor entry.

On Tuesday, I suffered two full VF cardiac arrests which thankfully the ICD shocked me back from. Currently sat in hospital writing this, life confidence destroyed (yet again) but at least I'm here to moan about it. The clock has also started on another six month medical driving ban, my third now and I'm not bothered one bit!

All NHS staff, every single one of them, as usual, are fabulous making what is an extremely difficult time easier to cope with.

I've been taken off one toxic medication and started on an even more toxic one, which can, if you expose yourself to the sun can turn you blue! Anyway, for now, feeling like crap but over and out.

....oh, this might now be the right time for an electric bike !

D

Deleted member 1258

Well....

On Tuesday, I suffered two full VF cardiac arrests which thankfully the ICD shocked me back from. Currently sat in hospital writing this, life confidence destroyed (yet again) but at least I'm here to moan about it. The clock has also started on another six month medical driving ban, my third now and I'm not bothered one bit!

All NHS staff, every single one of them, as usual, are fabulous making what is an extremely difficult time easier to cope with.

I've been taken off one toxic medication and started on an even more toxic one, which can, if you expose yourself to the sun can turn you blue! Anyway, for now, feeling like crap but over and out.

:hugs: :hugs: Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery Colin.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Well....

Sorry to hear this. I hope you get well soon. Take care

Alan O

Über Member
Ach, really sorry to hear that Colin. From what I've read of your posts here, you do seem to be someone who's good at bouncing back - so take your time, do everything the docs and nurses tell you (!) and let us know how you're doing whenever you can.

And that ICD - it really is wonderful invention. When I was in hospital with my heart thing, I met a guy who'd had one for several years - and it used to go off fairly regularly, every few weeks. He said he got used to it, and his prognosis was apparently very good.

I've been taken off one toxic medication and started on an even more toxic one, which can, if you expose yourself to the sun can turn you blue!
Wow, that would be great for scaring the kids at Halloween :eek:

Very best,
Alan

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Thanks everyone.

Home now but a bag of nerves and feeling fragile.

Two certain death VF cardiac arrests, shocked back to life, a drug change and home a few days later. Still got a lot of mental and emotional healing to do.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well....

Retigabine?

Slick

Guru
Thanks everyone.

Home now but a bag of nerves and feeling fragile.

Two certain death VF cardiac arrests, shocked back to life, a drug change and home a few days later. Still got a lot of mental and emotional healing to do.
I can only imagine. I hope you regain your strength and confidence back quickly.

Top Bottom