Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
@Colin_P, what's "normal" these days? If you find out, let me know.

Never been kicked in the chest by a horse, head-butted by a cow making a bid for freedom and sent backwards through the air 15 - 20 feet. Can that count?

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
@Colin_P, what's "normal" these days? If you find out, let me know.

Never been kicked in the chest by a horse, head-butted by a cow making a bid for freedom and sent backwards through the air 15 - 20 feet. Can that count?

You disappoint me. :tongue:

If there was anyone who had been kicked in the chest by a horse, it would have been you. With these ICD's the internet folklore is that when you get shocked by it is supposed to feel like being kicked by a horse in the chest. I've never met anyone who has...

From this day on I'm going to use the cow-head-butt thing. Are you sure you didn't head butt it ? :banghead:

As for normal, that is a difficult one. For me it would mean not literally dropping dead for a while, I'd be happy with that, oh and not turning blue when I go out in the sunshine.

:okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
You disappoint me. :tongue:

If there was anyone who had been kicked in the chest by a horse, it would have been you. With these ICD's the internet folklore is that when you get shocked by it is supposed to feel like being kicked by a horse in the chest. I've never met anyone who has...

From this day on I'm going to use the cow-head-butt thing. Are you sure you didn't head butt it ? :banghead:

As for normal, that is a difficult one. For me it would mean not literally dropping dead for a while, I'd be happy with that, oh and not turning blue when I go out in the sunshine.

:okay:
It caught me, square in the chest sending me flying. Landing in fresh you know what.
upload_2017-5-2_16-17-53.png

Follow the ridge of the red roof out through the trees & you'll make out a set of gates. It didn't want to go through.

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
Are you still on the Amio? How long were you on it? It is my new obsession to find any and everything out about it.
I can't offer much, but I was on it for a while after I had my bypass surgery in 2007, for helping control a little VF and a minor arrhythmia as I was recovering. I wasn't on it for very long but didn't suffer from any obvious side effects (no blue).

My wife has a congenital arrhythmia that only needed treatment starting in her 40s, and she's had Amiodarone on and off for quite a few years now - her doc doesn't like keeping her on it for too long at a time, so he alternates her meds and keeps her on less risky ones as best he can. And she's not experienced any obvious side effects either.

Alan

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
I can't offer much, but I was on it for a while after I had my bypass surgery in 2007, for helping control a little VF and a minor arrhythmia as I was recovering. I wasn't on it for very long but didn't suffer from any obvious side effects (no blue).

My wife has a congenital arrhythmia that only needed treatment starting in her 40s, and she's had Amiodarone on and off for quite a few years now - her doc doesn't like keeping her on it for too long at a time, so he alternates her meds and keeps her on less risky ones as best he can. And she's not experienced any obvious side effects either.

Alan

Thanks Alan, that is really encouraging.

david k

Hi
A beta blocker like Bisoprolol will make it harder to get your heart rate up, as it reduces the adrenaline response of heart muscle. I'm on 1.25mg per day, and I can see the effect on my HR trace after exercise - it takes me around 20 minutes to get warmed up enough and get my HR moving, and in that first period I can feel very sluggish. I was initially started on 5mg per day but it left me feeling completely lifeless, and it was slowly reduced until I reached a workable dose.

I don't know if Ramipril and Amlodipine might have a similar effect on HR, but they reduce blood pressure and so they might do.
I hated being on bisoporol, made me feel like a zombie, incredible difference when I came off it
I have no known side affects of rampril though

Alan O

Über Member
I hated being on bisoporol, made me feel like a zombie, incredible difference when I came off it
Funny you should mention that.

I'm on bisoprolol, but only a very low 1.25mg daily dose now - higher doses in the time after my surgery zombified me too, and it had to be reduced several times.

Acutally, when I say I'm on it, I've been trying without it recently. The reason is the effect it has on me when I start any exercise, like cycling. My heart is very slow to respond to the effort, and I feel like I'm hitting a wall at first - it takes about 20 minutes to get through and then I feel better, and it is pretty much one of the desired effects of it, but I was finding it quite demotivating.

After several weeks without it, I'm feeling physically better when I get started on exercise and it makes it more enjoyable. But a surprise effect is that I feel mentally sharper now, as if a sort of mist has cleared - only a thin mist, but there's certainly something gone that was clouding my mind a little. I've been keeping a check on my blood pressure and heart rate, and I'm seeing no adverse effects.

I'm going to stay off it for a few more weeks and see how it goes, and then have a word with the doc.

Alan

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I'm on Bisoprolol they started me off on 2.5 mg and then increased it to 5mg, but I couldn't get my HR any higher than 90 BPM while on the turbo trainer and my pulse rate while in bed use to fall to 43 BPM, they cut it down to 2.5mg again. Now I can get my HR up to 112 BPM and the pulse rate has gone up to 56 BPM, but I don't have any other side affects which is good.

Alan O

Über Member
I'm on Bisoprolol they started me off on 2.5 mg and then increased it to 5mg, but I couldn't get my HR any higher than 90 BPM while on the turbo trainer and my pulse rate while in bed use to fall to 43 BPM, they cut it down to 2.5mg again. Now I can get my HR up to 112 BPM and the pulse rate has gone up to 56 BPM, but I don't have any other side affects which is good.
Interesting. For me it doesn't seem to affect my maximum heart rate. On bike rides I generally tend to get into a steady top rate in the region of 140-155, with occasional peaks into the low 160s, and that's about the same whether I'm taking the bisoprolol or not. My rest HR is around 65, rest BP around the standard 120/80.

Alan

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I was prescribed Ramipril after my last stenting, but soon stopped as it was lowering my (already low) BP and making me extremely lethargic. The cardiologist involved seemed to be 'ticking boxes' - as in, 'we prescribe it for everyone', 'it's good for your heart'.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
I was on Bisoprolol at 20mg a day and it still wasn't enough and or didn't work.

They switched over to an equally potent beta almost three years ago at the time of my last SCA (sudden cardiac arrest) events, along with some other 'heart' pills.

I've just come through another two SCA's, only last week, they switched the 'other' pills as I've detailed in previous posts but left the beta the same.

Having a lot of experience with beta blockers and at very high doses and continuing to be on a very high dose they can absolutly wreck you when you first take them and or when they increase the dose. But you do get used to it, it takes time but will emerge into a new normal.

My maximum heart rate is now about 115bpm and like others have said it takes a while to warm up, so much so that for me I'm just coming home when that has happened. I don't like to overdo it! Having a max heart rate of 115bpm is especially important to me as my ICD is set to shock me at 220, only being able to get about 100 below that is a great comfort, doesn't stop me having a VF arrest though.

classic33

Leg End Member
All these drugs in cycling, is it(cycling) as healthy as they make out?

I daren't list the 30+ I've been on/am on over the years. With another new one starting soon.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
@classic33

I've only been on the new drug a week and it has been dull and cloudy and I've only been out a few times on the bike since coming home from hospital and, and, and everything.

Today I've entered the second phase of the loading dose, down from 600mg to 400mg, next week it will be down to 200mg. It might be sunny then.

Top Bottom