Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I guess I've been fortunate with my first adult stay in icu. It had happened in Australia, not the UK.

For me it was a case of going to the doctors with what I thought was my asthma out of control due to a chest infection. Last thing I remember were the surgery doors as I was being taken out to an ambulance. I came round the sometime later on a respirator in ICU after being airlifted from one hospital to another. 6 days on the respirator, 12 days in ICU, 3 weeks on a general ward with daily physio (about an hour) followed by 3 weeks of acute inpatient rehab. Physio 9-12 and 1:30-3 5 days a week. I had to learn to walk again, initially I was too weak even to move. It took me 2 days to be strong enough to write a few words with a nurse holding the clipboard.
But I now have 12 months support from it inpatient rehab team including physiological help to deal with the issues. and I need it.
I'm still useless at home. I managed to boil some eggs lay Friday, but the pan had to be on the stove with the water in it for me. The first week home I managed to break the kettle, no kidding. It was one of those clear plastic/glass ones that you can see the water in. It was empty so I tried putting a little water in it. It was too heavy and I ended up dropping it against the pan that was in the sink. It broke!
Getting me had around the fact that I still can't manage any of what I did previously even a month after my discharge is getting too me. My 2nd physch appointment is next week. Luckily is a morning appointment because I'm usually asleep in the afternoon, exhausted from sitting all morning knitting or spinning, drawing or just watching my world go by.

Right, it's nearly 8am, so in going to see if it's warm enough to sit outside yet. I hate being inside after not leaving the hospital for nearly 2 months.
It'll be slow getting back to what you used to do, and the frustration at not being able to do what you could before won't help getting over not being able to do what you could before. I tend to get shorter repeated reminders of this little fact.

The world will still be there, at least upto 05:42(UTC) on Friday.
How about a smaller kettle, metal, that can hurt your toes when it slips out of your hand. It's what I had at one stage, until I damaged a toe trying to kick it out of the way.

It'll be slow getting back to what you used to do, and the frustration at not being able to do what you could before won't help getting over not being able to do what you could before. I tend to get shorter repeated reminders of this little fact.

The world will still be there, at least upto 05:42(UTC) on Friday.
How about a smaller kettle, metal, that can hurt your toes when it slips out of your hand. It's what I had at one stage, until I damaged a toe trying to kick it out of the way.
Or just remembering to take the water to the kettle! There are kettle stands that allow you to tip it safely...

My husband likes the clear kettle because he can see the build up of burnt eucalyptus leaves in it that way. (or water has no filter or treatment done to it. It is rain water direct, pure and simple, so the eucalyptus tree hanging over the roof of the building that catches the water (the barn) doesn't help matters...)

classic33

Leg End Member
Or just remembering to take the water to the kettle! There are kettle stands that allow you to tip it safely...

My husband likes the clear kettle because he can see the build up of burnt eucalyptus leaves in it that way. (or water has no filter or treatment done to it. It is rain water direct, pure and simple, so the eucalyptus tree hanging over the roof of the building that catches the water (the barn) doesn't help matters...)
Mine are multiple short reminders, doesn't make it worthwhile buying the type of kettle you mean.

Never had to bother with having to watch out for eucalyptus leaves, very few of them up here, in the kettle.

classic33

Leg End Member
Over a £1000 for the MRI scan. I never asked about the bone density tests.

Started well, got a name for a place that doesn't exist, then sent an address for a different location.
Just had a call asking if I can go back and repeat the MRI scan.

That's a first. Repeated X-rays on the same day before, never a day after, unless it was to check progress or any change.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just had a call asking if I can go back and repeat the MRI scan.

That's a first. Repeated X-rays on the same day before, never a day after, unless it was to check progress or any change.
I got called back for a CT scan 2 years after!

I had my lungs scanned when I first got ill in 2012. The scan also just caught the top of my kidneys and the doctors reviewing the images thought they had spotted something iffy.

So, they dealt with my clots and ... that was it.

2 years later they decided that perhaps they ought to check my kidneys!

classic33

Leg End Member
<3
I got called back for a CT scan 2 years after!

I had my lungs scanned when I first got ill in 2012. The scan also just caught the top of my kidneys and the doctors reviewing the images thought they had spotted something iffy.

So, they dealt with my clots and ... that was it.

2 years later they decided that perhaps they ought to check my kidneys!
Last one on Saturday was head to toe, the full picture. And now they want to repeat it. Looking at the bones again.

Used to tests being repeated, a way of life almost.

ColinJ

Last one on Saturday was head to toe, the full picture. And now they want to repeat it. Looking at the bones again.

Used to tests being repeated, a way of life almost.
Well, good luck with your ongoing health issues!

My kidneys got the all-clear. Actually, there was something there but the interpretation of the test results was that they were seeing historical changes which were not progressing. (I think I had at least one kidney stone as a teenager - agonising pain one night, sweats, nausea, peed blood. It just went away by itself.)

classic33

Leg End Member
Well, good luck with your ongoing health issues!

My kidneys got the all-clear. Actually, there was something there but the interpretation of the test results was that they were seeing historical changes which were not progressing. (I think I had at least one kidney stone as a teenager - agonising pain one night, sweats, nausea, peed blood. It just went away by itself.)
It's more what was seen this morning that got them repeating it, that's on my mind.

Possibly nothing more than an over-reaction by me.

ColinJ

It's more what was seen this morning that got them repeating it, that's on my mind.

Possibly nothing more than an over-reaction by me.
Understandable though. I immediately started worrying when they called me back for the kidney scan. I didn't have any symptoms and my kidney function was fine, it's just that once they thought that they had spotted something they had to keep looking.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
That sounds a horrific experience. I completely understand your worry. My heart attack came completely out of the blue and there was no apparent cause for it.The artery tore, rather than being blocked. I was a a 40 year old woman, with a relatively healthy life style. I was very lucky that they recognised it as a heart attack and took me straight into hospital.

Four years later, I still worry whenever I get chest discomfort or experience shortness of breath. When I go to the doctors with these symptoms, they say "Well you do have heart damage. Your heart doesn't work as well as it should." They don't seem to understand that I'm always worried that it's another heart attack.
Thats the thing, it can take some getting used to any niggles etc that occur, there's nothing wrong with you, but it's still there lurking in the back of your mind, is this happening again, you kind of know your ok, but it can worry you.

I start the 'rounds' next week. Starting with a physch evaluation, then endocrine, immunology (they tested my blood extensively whilst I was in ICU and didn't like what they found, IgA and IgE are both well below normal, so I can expect much more blood to be removed as I get into the system....)... and then MRI scans of my pituitary adenoma to check it and size... and then... it goes on. Yesterday I had physio again (they came out to me for a second time) and today I am getting someone coming out to talk to me about the help I need around the home and with medical appointments. I can have upto 6 weeks help from someone in this area - I only really need help with things like cleaning and transport to and from appointments. There's not much else really that anyone can help me with. Though talking me out once a week to something like the local 'club' get together in the library (of all places) to chat for an hour or two would be nice. I haven't left my home now in over 3 weeks. That is my home and grounds... Hubby doesn't even bother asking if I want to come shopping with him. Often I end up sitting in the car whilst he goes around the shop, but I'm there with him for the travel, but he doesn't see that that counts. I think the physch appointments will be quite useful.

And then I also have a referral for some new treatment called HF10 which is a spinal stimulator designed to limit chronic pain. The electrodes are actually implanted directly onto the spinal cord itself. The trial equipment is deigned to be worn on a belt around you, with the leads coming out through the skin for 2 weeks but the actual thing itself, if the device helps enough, is completely contained within the body. Apparently it is one of the very few pieces of medical equipment that can be worn through an entire flight which is useful to know.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Five years and one month since I posted this:

scar-jpg.jpg

Last week I got my 'fifth anniversary' CT scan. Clean as a whistle.

Without wishing to hex anything, surviving what I had, to the stage I had it, for five years, makes me, literally, a one in 20.

I put it down to exercise, 'food, not too much, mostly plants', and a positive mental attitude. And beer of course.

Keep pedalling folks - there really is no better medicine!

flatflr

Guru
Quick up-date from me

Have been back at work for a week now, boss made me leave early for the first 5 days back and has told me to take as much time as I need for recovery.

Have had a few issues with my local doctors surgery:
First they messed up my prescription only giving me half the amount of one item so the prescription is having to be re-issued and I’m a month behind in stock of that drug.

Then when I spoke to one of the doctors on the phone the week before last it became apparent that she’s not even looked at my notes as I had to read out my treatment to her (same doc who signed off the incorrect prescription), but she did give me the ok to go on the turbo as long as I don’t let my heart rate go above 80bpm .

I then realised that I should have had an appointment with my doctor to see how I’m getting on check my medication and get a referral for cardiac rehabilitation within a week of leaving hospital (this should have booked automatically). So far none of this has happened, so I’ve arranged an appointment myself to get this kicked off, if I'd not done it myself nothing would have happened (the Doctor I’ve booked it with does triathlons so will understand where I’m coming from for my rehab).

Biggest issue that I am finding is stopping myself from doing too much as in myself as I want to carry on as normal as I’ve not had any tiredness.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Blimey. There are some survivors on this forum!

As per my intro in the new members section I too had a super fun time last year going from relatively healthy to 50/50 chance of survival in a whirlwind 4 days. This was all due to something as simple as a blockage of my common bile duct, most likely by a gallstone. This caused acute necrotising pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas leading to interruption of the blood supply and death of the organ tissue) which lead to multiple organ failure, an ambulance ride, 11 days in ICU, 3 months in hospital, sepsis, 2 operations and 6 months off work :laugh: Funny how things pan out sometimes..! I think I managed to achieve pretty much every complication possible in my road to recovery and truth be told I'll never quite be the same again but I'm still here, kicking and screaming :angel:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@flatflr I’ve little doubt things vary from one area to another but this may help. For me cardiac rehab was organised by the team who provide it, not the GP. I had a visit before discharge by the rehab team with all the relevant info.

Getting the prescriptions right can be a bit of a trial. Once it’s correct get put on repeat dispensing and you may be able to simply order by email monthly direct to the pharmacy. You know you’re entitled to free prescriptions?

Regarding the turbo. If I walk at a brisk pace, by this I mean as fast as I can and still call it a walk, my HR is 92. In my view you might get more benefit out of a walk than a turbo session.

Be aware of changing temperatures having an effect on you. I wasn’t told of this until I raised it with the rehab team. For some cardiac patients moving from a warm house to cold outdoors and vice versa can be very uncomfortable. Obviously it’s not cold yet. The solution I found was to dress for outdoors and then wait in the house for ten minutes till I had warmed up. I also covered my mouth and nose with a scarf to avoid breathing in cold air. When I returned to the house I would again wait a few minutes before taking off coat etc. to allow my body to adjust to the indoor temperature.

Top Bottom