1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Colin_P, 8 Sep 2014.

Tags:
  1. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

The hard part can be getting a doctor who can trust you. More than getting one you can trust.

You'll not say it's important you see them everytime, whatever it is. They knowing that you're not likely to do, will mean that when you do, it is important. For 20+ years I had one, who I could trust to believe & understand me when I saw him. These last four years have been very different, since he moved on.

A slight problem at the railway station yesterday, meant I missed the train, in more ways than one. But I'm not willing to let it rule my life to the point of not doing anything. Something I've grown up with, but can cause problems at times.

I once went with a bit of a headache, not settled down after a week after a fit. Found myself being admitted with 13 clear cracks in the skull when X-rayed.

Colin_P, dave r, Effyb4 and 1 other person like this.
  2. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

It is amazing that you survived your ordeal, and equally amazing that you are now able to do what you do!

I'm glad that the tandem has turned out to be such a successful purchase, allowing you to do even more by sharing the efforts with your husband.

Colin_P, classic33 and Effyb4 like this.
  3. Effyb4

Effyb4 Über Member

Thanks Colin. The tandem is fantastic. We're planning a 50km ride this evening on it. It allows us to enjoy cycling together, without worrying about the ride being too hilly or too long for me. During the summer, we managed 65 miles on the tandem over the south downs, which would have impossible for me before.

4. NickNick

NickNick Well-Known Member

You're right, we should do really, its just that at the time you're caught up in everything going on an then further down the line life takes over and you forget about it. Its a difficult situation as I understand how they can end up like that, they are worked ridiculous hours, have very little support and its very easy to burnout in such situations and loose the ability to treat each new patient without the baggage of past experiences, but equally it lives are at stake and if you're that burnout and jaded its prob time for a change in career.

A close friend has had similar problems due to his diabetes back when he wasn't as good at keeping on top of it and would get accused of being drunk/have police called out/get arrested when all he needed was some sugar. Its a difficult world to navigate!!!

Colin_P and dave r like this.
  5. NickNick

NickNick Well-Known Member

Thanks for you post, very thoughtful and very helpful/of comfort. I know with my partner one of things she struggled with was she's woken up in ICU to find out she's had this major event (her dad died at v young age on the Longbridge production line of a heart attack of similar magnitude), spends a few days in CCU, gets sent home with load of meds and short course of physio at the hospital and bar a one year check up, that was it. Now it makes sense as stents are such a common and reliable procedure that is all the follow up support that is required, but there should be some kind of psychological support (and for affected relatives/partners...) to help wrap your head around whats happened. But sadly our mental health systems are so stretched I can't see thishappening any time soon.

Colin_P and dave r like this.
  6. classic33

I'm not saying have a go at them. But a quiet word from the shift supervisor might prevent anything more serious.

Them and A&E staff are two lots of people that I've had to use and rely on over the years. Too often in many ways.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2017
    Colin_P and NickNick like this.
  7. I guess I've been fortunate with my first adult stay in icu. It had happened in Australia, not the UK.

For me it was a case of going to the doctors with what I thought was my asthma out of control due to a chest infection. Last thing I remember were the surgery doors as I was being taken out to an ambulance. I came round the sometime later on a respirator in ICU after being airlifted from one hospital to another. 6 days on the respirator, 12 days in ICU, 3 weeks on a general ward with daily physio (about an hour) followed by 3 weeks of acute inpatient rehab. Physio 9-12 and 1:30-3 5 days a week. I had to learn to walk again, initially I was too weak even to move. It took me 2 days to be strong enough to write a few words with a nurse holding the clipboard.
    But I now have 12 months support from it inpatient rehab team including physiological help to deal with the issues. and I need it.
    I'm still useless at home. I managed to boil some eggs lay Friday, but the pan had to be on the stove with the water in it for me. The first week home I managed to break the kettle, no kidding. It was one of those clear plastic/glass ones that you can see the water in. It was empty so I tried putting a little water in it. It was too heavy and I ended up dropping it against the pan that was in the sink. It broke!
    Getting me had around the fact that I still can't manage any of what I did previously even a month after my discharge is getting too me. My 2nd physch appointment is next week. Luckily is a morning appointment because I'm usually asleep in the afternoon, exhausted from sitting all morning knitting or spinning, drawing or just watching my world go by.

Right, it's nearly 8am, so in going to see if it's warm enough to sit outside yet. I hate being inside after not leaving the hospital for nearly 2 months.

Edit: here's what happened... https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/severely-ill-yet-again.223981/

Last edited: 9 Oct 2017
    Colin_P and NickNick like this.
  8. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

My best wishes for a speedy recovery

Colin_P likes this.
  9. classic33

It'll be slow getting back to what you used to do, and the frustration at not being able to do what you could before won't help getting over not being able to do what you could before. I tend to get shorter repeated reminders of this little fact.

The world will still be there, at least upto 05:42(UTC) on Friday.
    How about a smaller kettle, metal, that can hurt your toes when it slips out of your hand. It's what I had at one stage, until I damaged a toe trying to kick it out of the way.

dave r and Colin_P like this.
  10. Or just remembering to take the water to the kettle! There are kettle stands that allow you to tip it safely...

My husband likes the clear kettle because he can see the build up of burnt eucalyptus leaves in it that way. (or water has no filter or treatment done to it. It is rain water direct, pure and simple, so the eucalyptus tree hanging over the roof of the building that catches the water (the barn) doesn't help matters...)

11. classic33

Mine are multiple short reminders, doesn't make it worthwhile buying the type of kettle you mean.

Never had to bother with having to watch out for eucalyptus leaves, very few of them up here, in the kettle.

12. classic33

Just had a call asking if I can go back and repeat the MRI scan.

That's a first. Repeated X-rays on the same day before, never a day after, unless it was to check progress or any change.

13. ColinJ

I got called back for a CT scan 2 years after!

I had my lungs scanned when I first got ill in 2012. The scan also just caught the top of my kidneys and the doctors reviewing the images thought they had spotted something iffy.

So, they dealt with my clots and ... that was it.

2 years later they decided that perhaps they ought to check my kidneys!

14. classic33

Last one on Saturday was head to toe, the full picture. And now they want to repeat it. Looking at the bones again.

Used to tests being repeated, a way of life almost.

15. ColinJ

Well, good luck with your ongoing health issues!

My kidneys got the all-clear. Actually, there was something there but the interpretation of the test results was that they were seeing historical changes which were not progressing. (I think I had at least one kidney stone as a teenager - agonising pain one night, sweats, nausea, peed blood. It just went away by itself.)

dave r, Colin_P and classic33 like this.