Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Appointment came Thursday, for the end of next month.
The following day it was cancelled.

Anyone know how much CSF you have & how much you can "safely loose"?

Don't know but if I were you I'd be eating plenty of raspberry jelly to top it back up. Birds trifle is also probably quite good too. :hugs:

Last edited:

flatflr

Guru
Another update from me.

It's now 3 months (to the day) after I had my "event" and ended up in the West Berks Cardiac Care Ward. I've completed phase 3 of my rehab with a great team from the Great Western Hospital (while I live in Berks I transferred my rehab to Wiltshire as it's closer to work (who have been fantastic)). Rehab consisted of a 6 week program starting with some light level exercise getting harder as one progressed, and shorts talks about cardiac health and generally looking after yourself. During the rehab I also built up my own training (with the knowledge and approval of the rehab team) so that I'm now getting back to where I was before it all happened (7 mile runs or 30 mins fairly hard on the turbo, up to twice each per week), with a much better diet and no smoking.

Looking forward to really getting back into it in the new year and have a few challenges planned:smile:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I had a blood test on Tuesday and got called in to the surgery yesterday. Never a good sign :laugh:

Fortunately the news was pretty positive overall - my kidney and liver function is now completely normal again :okay: Only took 18 months haha. The reason he needed to talk to me was despite the extra exercise and improved diet my lipids are still all over the shop :rolleyes: As a result I've been put on Atorvastatin for the foreseeable future - not the end of the world, just hoping i dont see any of the side effects...

When I got home I phoned my dad for a chat and he told me he was about my age when he started taking statins and that both he and mum are both on atorvastatin now - They're both fit and healthy so I guess I'm just genetically predisposed to high blood fats :huh:

Alan O

Über Member
I had a blood test on Tuesday and got called in to the surgery yesterday. Never a good sign :laugh:

Fortunately the news was pretty positive overall - my kidney and liver function is now completely normal again :okay: Only took 18 months haha. The reason he needed to talk to me was despite the extra exercise and improved diet my lipids are still all over the shop :rolleyes: As a result I've been put on Atorvastatin for the foreseeable future - not the end of the world, just hoping i dont see any of the side effects...

When I got home I phoned my dad for a chat and he told me he was about my age when he started taking statins and that both he and mum are both on atorvastatin now - They're both fit and healthy so I guess I'm just genetically predisposed to high blood fats :huh:
Very similar with me. My dad had high cholesterol, and I had high cholesterol even when I was on a vegan diet (with no dietary cholesterol at all), so it seems genetic in my family. The good news for me is that I've suffered no side effects at all after 10 years on Atorvastatin - and if your mum and dad are both on it with no problems, the chances look pretty good for you too.

Just came across this thread and I wonder if anyone can help.
A couple of years ago, I resuscitated a cyclist at Manchester velodrome by the side of the track.
Luckily two of the young lads who worked there had had 1st aid training and got a defib machine by his side by the time I'd managed to get round the track and jump off a bike with no brakes.
Also, very luckily for the chap in trouble, I am a qualified nurse who had been involved in several other resuscitations - I say very lucky cos this was no ordinary resus, and the only reason he is alive is because I recognised a major problem, and was able to resolve it quickly.
I got quite a lot of the chaps blood in my mouth as he has collapsed full frontal onto his face - and obviously I wanted to meet him to see how he was ( I was told he recovered well), but I also wanted to check if he had any blood borne diseases, given the amount of his blood I got in my mouth - sadly the velodrome would not give me his details, but they said they had written to him and he said he had no known infections etc - I got the feeling the the velodrome management were trying to keep things quiet in case of bad publicity, though that is just a feeling and I could be wrong, but they never contacted me again to pass on any other info or offer any thanks etc (not that I needed thanks, but I would have loved to have stayed in touch with someone who is only alive cos somebody trained me well).
Anyway, the guy in question could do with knowing what really happened (medically) that day cos it really was not a simple arrest and the information may help him?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Update from me.

One of the nasty heart drugs I'm taking, Amiodarone, looks like it is causing liver problems and I've had a referal to chemical pathology. I amm quite worried about this as everything I google about liver problems seems to be bad news.

flatflr

Guru
Update here. 6 months (to the day) update since my heart attack and I'm back to where I was before I got taken into hospital, in fact. I'd say that I'm better than where I was being smoke free (and no desire to start again) and a much improved diet.
Not been out on the bike as much as I would like due to the weather but have been keeping at it on the turbo, and have been focusing on the running with 5 half marathon distance runs so far this year with the longest run being 16 miles and about to start my training for an ultra in July and a London to Paris in 24 hrs ride in June.

D

Deleted member 1258

Update here. 6 months (to the day) update since my heart attack and I'm back to where I was before I got taken into hospital, in fact. I'd say that I'm better than where I was being smoke free (and no desire to start again) and a much improved diet.
Not been out on the bike as much as I would like due to the weather but have been keeping at it on the turbo, and have been focusing on the running with 5 half marathon distance runs so far this year with the longest run being 16 miles and about to start my training for an ultra in July and a London to Paris in 24 hrs ride in June.

Well done!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Quick update here. Pretty much 9 month after my heart attack and over the weekend I completed a ride from London to Paris in under 24 hours (170 miles at 15.3mph ave.). Now I need to up the run training for an ultra marathon I have planned for July....
Well done. :bravo:

At first glance I thought you had RUN from London to Paris and had a 'WTF' moment... :laugh:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Tomorrow is 2 years to the day I went into hospital with multiple organ failure due to acute necrotising pancreatitis. Other than a recent diagnosis of secondary type 1 diabetes and some less than optimal blood results I'm feeling fitter than ever :becool::okay: I might go for a bicycle ride this afternoon to celebrate :laugh:

Oh_Parrothead

Hello All,

As per the title, are there any survivors of serious illnesses on here ?

Reason being, I'm slow and don't do big distances and would love to 'follow' others of similar ability on Strava to get and provide some encouragement for each other.

Me.

I have suffered several Sudden Cardiac Arrests (SCA's) and am among the lucky 5% to survive one. I now have an ICD (Implanted Cardioverter Defibrillator) in my chest looking after me. It has saved my life three times in the year I have had it, the last time was just under a month ago.

I still get out on my bikes but limit the rides to less than an hour and typically do about four off road miles a day in about twenty five minutes. The biggest rides I'm doing are about 11-12 miles in about an hour.

A Cardiac Arrest is different to a Heart Attack in so far as it is caused by dodgy electrics in the heart rather than blocked plumbing. Thankfully my plumbing is fine. Sometimes it is hard to get out there and anxiety, panic and general worry can play is big part.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has faced or is continuing to face serious health issues and how they are getting on.
I had two PEs last year caused by an undiagnosed cancer. Both issues have been resolved, and I'm now about a year cancer free, and arguably in the best shape of my life at 45. Now that is not saying too much because I was In zero shape before and still have a ways to go, but still in overall pretty good shape now. According to the director of vascular medicine at the hospital I was treated at and continue to go to, I had the largest PEs he had ever seen on a living patient. That hit me because he is not a young man and this is a pretty high volume hospital/health system. I don't use an app because I'm just riding to improve me and stay one step ahead of cancer and things like PEs. I was never sick a day in my life before this so have no basis for comparison, but I've been told by multiple doctors my recovery has been "amazing", "remarkable", etc. I mention this not to put myself over but rather to encourage. I went from having cancer, being damn near dead, being told only 15 percent of people survive what I did, and they didn't understand how I didn't die to where I am at now. I just climbed a 7.6 percent grade that is about a third of a mile long on Friday so I think I have gotten on pretty well and hope you do too. Wish you the best as you move forward and happy to answer questions if I can.

Top Bottom