Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Update from me.

One of the nasty heart drugs I'm taking, Amiodarone, looks like it is causing liver problems and I've had a referal to chemical pathology. I amm quite worried about this as everything I google about liver problems seems to be bad news.
Stay away from "dr google"!! You'll worry yourself to death once you start reading.

In a similar situation with regards medication causing problems. Like yourself, the liver is part of it. They just need to be able to stop the treatment(medication) to start treating the damage it's done. Five years and counting since they first tried stopping it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had two PEs last year caused by an undiagnosed cancer. Both issues have been resolved, and I'm now about a year cancer free, and arguably in the best shape of my life at 45. Now that is not saying too much because I was In zero shape before and still have a ways to go, but still in overall pretty good shape now. According to the director of vascular medicine at the hospital I was treated at and continue to go to, I had the largest PEs he had ever seen on a living patient. That hit me because he is not a young man and this is a pretty high volume hospital/health system. I don't use an app because I'm just riding to improve me and stay one step ahead of cancer and things like PEs. I was never sick a day in my life before this so have no basis for comparison, but I've been told by multiple doctors my recovery has been "amazing", "remarkable", etc. I mention this not to put myself over but rather to encourage. I went from having cancer, being damn near dead, being told only 15 percent of people survive what I did, and they didn't understand how I didn't die to where I am at now. I just climbed a 7.6 percent grade that is about a third of a mile long on Friday so I think I have gotten on pretty well and hope you do too. Wish you the best as you move forward and happy to answer questions if I can.
Well done on your recovery and that ride - onwards and upwards!

I didn't have cancer but I did have PEs twice. I was told similar things to you - most people as clotted as me died before getting to hospital, or soon afterwards; they had never seen anybody that ill still walking etc. (To be fair, I could only just manage to stagger to the toilet 20 metres away and back though.)

The fitness from cycling helped me to survive, and getting back into cycling helped me recover. 6 years on I am riding better than I did before I got ill.

flatflr

Guru
One year ago today I dialled 999 and got carted into the Royal Berks Hospital suffering a heart attack.

Since then I've followed all the medics advice, stopped smoking and sorted out my diet. I've also:
Ridden 2,088 miles, including:
Ridden London to Paris in 24 hrs
Ridden a couple of 100 milers
Completed the Mallorca, Andrax to Pollenca ride
Climbed the Col Du Tourmolet

Plus:
Run 569 miles, including:
8 over half marathon distance runs (didn't get to run the ultra I had planned due to Achilles issues)

There's life in the old dog yet......

D

Deleted member 1258

One year ago today I dialled 999 and got carted into the Royal Berks Hospital suffering a heart attack.

Since then I've followed all the medics advice, stopped smoking and sorted out my diet. I've also:
Ridden 2,088 miles, including:
Ridden London to Paris in 24 hrs
Ridden a couple of 100 milers
Completed the Mallorca, Andrax to Pollenca ride
Climbed the Col Du Tourmolet

Plus:
Run 569 miles, including:
8 over half marathon distance runs (didn't get to run the ultra I had planned due to Achilles issues)

There's life in the old dog yet......

Well done

Nic Polly

Regular
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia in August of last year. I've always kept myself very fit and up to two years ago I was regularly knocking out a 20 miler every Sunday morning with at least a couple of 6 milers thrown in during the week. I couldn't understand why I was getting really breathless after a couple of miles or so. My doctor told me it was down to age related asthma and told me to have a go on my wife's inhaler. I went back and got a second opinion and was told it was acid reflux, third time lucky I thought I would go back again and this time I was sent for a blood test which revealed that I was suffering with this condition. It really knocked me for six. I was sent for a ct scan to check my lymph nodes and purely by accident it was noted that I had slight coronary calcification in three of my main arteries. This all happened in the space of a year. I've had two stents put in, and on Monday I'm having two more put in . I'll probably knock the running on the head for now but having done triathlon for almost ten years I've decided to go back to cycling again as it's less of an impact on the old body. A I going to let this get the better of me...……..what do you think?

ColinJ

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia in August of last year. I've always kept myself very fit and up to two years ago I was regularly knocking out a 20 miler every Sunday morning with at least a couple of 6 milers thrown in during the week. I couldn't understand why I was getting really breathless after a couple of miles or so. My doctor told me it was down to age related asthma and told me to have a go on my wife's inhaler. I went back and got a second opinion and was told it was acid reflux, third time lucky I thought I would go back again and this time I was sent for a blood test which revealed that I was suffering with this condition. It really knocked me for six. I was sent for a ct scan to check my lymph nodes and purely by accident it was noted that I had slight coronary calcification in three of my main arteries. This all happened in the space of a year. I've had two stents put in, and on Monday I'm having two more put in . I'll probably knock the running on the head for now but having done triathlon for almost ten years I've decided to go back to cycling again as it's less of an impact on the old body. A I going to let this get the better of me...……..what do you think?
Hi Nic.

As long as your doctors think it is okay, then go for it! (And I would say to anyone who has a doctor suggesting that exercise would not be okay, then at least get a second opinion on that.)

I would recommend you to read Vitamin K2 And The Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life which gives a very convincing explanation of how modern diet is contributing to calcification of blood vessels (and also osteoporosis, cancer etc.) and what changes you can make. That link is to the book in Kindle format and it currently only costs £1.24. (You could pay £11.99 for the paperback, but even if you don't have a Kindle, just download the free app.)

Good luck!

ColinJ

Hmm, I think Shaun's link redirection software is playing up - my link is to Amazon UK but it is getting redirected to the US site! I'll flag it in the support forum.

Ha ha - the same thing is happening to the automatic link inserted when I mentioned the site above!

Aaargh - now it has removed the automatic link! :wacko:

Question: If you are in the UK and click on my link, 2 posts back, does it take you to the UK site or the US site?

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Hmm, I think Shaun's link redirection software is playing up - my link is to Amazon UK but it is getting redirected to the US site! I'll flag it in the support forum.

Ha ha - the same thing is happening to the automatic link inserted when I mentioned the site above!

Aaargh - now it has removed the automatic link! :wacko:

Question: If you are in the UK and click on my link, 2 posts back, does it take you to the UK site or the US site?
US site.

ColinJ

UK! :wacko:

I'll check the old laptop again when I go down to the room that I left it in.

PS They all have UK settings on, and location detection turned off, but they can tell that I am in NW England.

Top Bottom